Movies You Avoided Seeing (for various reasons)

Tools    

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
final destination 3

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by Atlas
listen the point i'm argueing is yes your all in america .. for a film over there to reach my country it takes at least 1 to 5 months after release in the states ... a further year is added to Dvd etc .. so my point i'm stressing is i enjoy films jsut as much as you.. and the industry isn;t dying at all so whats the harm in a few thousand foriegner downloaded a few films .. i guarrentied some of you have done a worse crime than that.
I suppose there is an interesting argument here, however poorly expressed...pirates would lose out if it didn't take so darned long to release films on dvd. Surely it can't take that long to physically make and distribute the dvds?

What country are you in anyway, Atlas?

Originally Posted by Thursday Next
I suppose there is an interesting argument here, however poorly expressed...pirates would lose out if it didn't take so darned long to release films on dvd. Surely it can't take that long to physically make and distribute the dvds?

What country are you in anyway, Atlas?

(I am resisting the tempatation to ask how long it's gonna take for spelling and punctuation to get there....looks like I failed.)
oh...I love this, I really do. So tell me buddy, how many languages do YOU speak, how well, and what's your spelling?

Originally Posted by adidasss
oh...I love this, I really do. So tell me buddy, how many languages do YOU speak, how well, and what's your spelling?
Yeah, I love it too, it's called joking. Jeez. Fyi, 3 languages, some better than others and crap. So I wouldn't go and post on a foreign message board if I couldn't make myself intelligibly understood in the language.

Yeah, I love it too, it's called joking. Jeez. Fyi, 3 languages, some better than others and crap. So I wouldn't go and post on a foreign message board if I couldn't make myself intelligibly understood in the language.
No, it's not called joking ,it's called insulting other people. And how would you feel if you DID in fact go to that other message board, tried to speak and have some incredibly enlightened ,good natured native speaker of the language in question tell you you can't spell worth a damn and your grammar sucks ?
And I wouldn't go arround saying I speak 3 different languages if you don't know it well enough to post on a message board, otherwise I would say I speak not one but 3 foreign languages...but I don't, because my Spanish and Italian are sub par.....

Oh lighten up. I don't know why you are taking this personally, nobody was talking to you, or getting at all 'foreign' people. Your English is perfectly good, perhaps his is as well if he takes the time to write sensible things instead of going about pirates ruling the world or whatever that was.

Back to the *actual* point which pirate guy raised....is it so bad to have pirate dvds in countries where it takes a long time to get real dvds? And could this problem be solved by quicker dvd releases? I know how frustrating it can be to have to wait ages for movies to come out, and when they do, the Americans on here have seen them already and said everything they have to say about them.

Why are some films released simulataneously worldwide and not others?

I know, it's outrageous! Do you realize they expect us to wait anywhere from four to seven whole months before they'll release a movie on DVD!!! Hello! Get with the times, man. A movie should run for exactly ten days in the theaters, and on that tenth day it should be available commercially on DVD.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Oh lighten up. I don't know why you are taking this personally, nobody was talking to you, or getting at all 'foreign' people. Your English is perfectly good, perhaps his is as well if he takes the time to write sensible things instead of going about pirates ruling the world or whatever that was.

Back to the *actual* point which pirate guy raised....is it so bad to have pirate dvds in countries where it takes a long time to get real dvds? And could this problem be solved by quicker dvd releases? I know how frustrating it can be to have to wait ages for movies to come out, and when they do, the Americans on here have seen them already and said everything they have to say about them.

Why are some films released simulataneously worldwide and not others?
So you won't admit you were wrong? Okley dokley....
Piracy flourishes not because people are impatient to see a certain film, but because the price of pirated dvds is many times lower than that of the original. And people in such countries don't have that much money ( unlike you rich capitalist pigs...)

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I know, it's outrageous! Do you realize they expect us to wait anywhere from four to seven whole months before they'll release a movie on DVD!!! Hello! Get with the times, man. A movie should run for exactly ten days in the theaters, and on that tenth day it should be available commercially on DVD.

Well perhaps most people can wait for films to be released on dvd. But clearly, given the amount of people who do buy pirate dvds, not everybody. If companies don't want to lose out to pirates, closing the gap between cinema and dvd release might be in their better interests.

Well perhaps most people can wait for films to be released on dvd. But clearly, given the amount of people who do buy pirate dvds, not everybody. If companies don't want to lose out to pirates, closing the gap between cinema and dvd release might be in there better interests.
Close the gaps? Do you even pay attention?

The window between theatrical release and DVD is already much, much MUCH smaller than the industry standard just ten years ago. The typical VHS release schedule that rose in the '80s and held until the late '90s was it took about one full year for a movie to debut on home video. And even when it did, to keep the Blockbusters of the world happy, most releases were initially "rental priced", meaning you'd have to fork over $80 or $100 if you wanted to buy a movie on VHS when it first hit the market. Three or four months after that intial release, when Blockbuster was able to rake in money from everybody who would rather pay $3 for a couple nights than $80 for a video tape, then the price would be reduced to $20 or so.

DVDs changed all that, much to Blockbuster's annoyance, because now there was no such thing as "rental pricing" and the consumer could purchase new releases as they came out - cutting deeply into the rental market.

Then the release dates kept getting shorter and shorter between theatrical and DVD. Part of the reasoning was that most of the money spent on publicity for a studio film is for the theatrical release, so the closer you got the DVD to that push you would hopefully be getting more bang for your advertising buck. And as of the last four or five years, the industry also makes much more of its revenue on the DVD sales than the theatrical runs...like three or four times as much.

So here we are at a point where a failure at the box office will be available very quickly, within a few months, and even a box office champ like King Kong has a big worldwide release at the end of December '05 and shows up on DVD at the end of March '06. Three frippin' months. And you think that's too long to wait? You're insane, and unrealistic. It's already an incredibly fast turnaround, so all that's left is doing away with theatrical releases altogether. There are people suggesting this: they're called morons. The theatrical release drives the engine, that's simply the way it is.

But even if the industry changed to have simultaneous theatrical and DVD releases for big movies, there would still be rampant pirating. Nothing can change that.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Three frippin' months. And you think that's too long to wait? You're insane, and unrealistic.
Maybe you are the one that doesn't pay attention. I personally don't think it is too long to wait, necessarily, I was only trying to understand Atlas the pirate-lover's point of view. It may have been only a three month turnaround in your country, but is that the same wherever he is?

Originally Posted by Atlas
pirates are amazing people ...

and Holden Pike .. your a very honorable man .. doing whats right .. however theres soemthing called substantial evedience as well as the fact i have no form of ID here. they would also have to build a case .. and i don;t sell any copys so they can only charge me on personal usage.. so really all your doing is waisting tax payers money and the "fed's" time..
Hmmm.... this is not really my field of expertise, but I do believe there have been several Australian pirates extradited to the United States in the last few years....

Oh, and I avoid a lot of the slice and dice films....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

have no fear, CPMan is here..
Street Fighter..many people who have watched it said it sucked big time. didn't even dare to see a f'n poster of it..lol.

Atlas, your downloading habits probably aren't best to broadcast in such a public way...I know the MPAA has busted people all over the world and have ways to track... they're a pretty smart outfit and not one I'd want to get entangled with... Plus I think you owe your admission fee or DVD buy to the artists that made the movies...otherwise, they'll eventually stop creating.

I avoided the Thing because I'm a real chicken.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I usually avoid films that I know are going to be really emotionally wrenching.
The Joy Luck Club
Schindler's List
Million Dollar Baby

I've seen the first two, way after they came out. Still haven't seen the last.

I know what you mean... I alwayys say the same thing and then I cave in to see soemthing great.. You should really see Million Dollar Baby... I was spectacular in my opinion. And if you know it isnt a comedy going in, it won't be that bad.

"Root of All Evil". It's meant to be some kind of horror - SLASH - comedy. It fails on both accounts.

It's the biggest pile of tosh I've ever seen. Just thinking about how I spent over TEN ENGLISH POUNDS to buy it sends me into a cold sweat of fury and rage.

I tend to avoid horror, although if it's meant to be really good/infamous I'll probably watch it. I'm not someone who gets a kick from fear, I can't stand waiting for something to leap out and make you jump.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I finally saw Million Dollar Baby. It wasn't as gut-wrenching as I anticipated. It did TRY to be as gut-wrenching as I anticipated, which made it much less so. 8/10 Great performances.