The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

It was the Marty McFly thing was confusing him I think.
Surely you mean Murty McFly, no?

Ugh, if The Dark Knight hitting Top 10 makes me roll my eyes, Interstellar making the list at all is bound to make em roll back down my throat and fall down my ass
If one Nolan film makes this list, let it be Memento. I'd be fine with that.

Okay, well maybe not this high, but please not The Dark Knight and definitely not Interstellar.

Tomorrow's hint:

Some are struck dumb
Unwilling to shout
Who might cringe if you ask them
If they want to hang out

But others are social
Precipitating a gang
Who keep their eyes open
For slang while they sang

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Like CR, during a previous rewatch via a Hall of Fame, I found myself pondering a new perspective regarding the titles that had been placed on Nurse Ratched and of McMurphy, back in the day, when this came out.
Nurse Ratched, from what I remember back then, had been labeled as The Best Villain of her time; and at that time, that is exactly as I saw her. And by reasoning, IF she is the villain, then McMurphy, the anti-establishment, fly-in-the-ointment MUST of been the hero.

But, are they?

When Nurse Ratched enters, I watched the orderlies and the nurses beneath her. Everyone was civil and courteous. There was no dread or worry like you would see when a "villain" first enters a movie.
Though I did see a kind of henchmen mentality as the three orderlies stood behind her the morning after the party as she calmly gave them their orders and there was a slight glimmer of pleasure as they went about them.
In the end, she is Head of Staff and her job is to keep everything and everyone at an even keel. Thereby keeping the patients calm and the chance for any kind of "incident" to remain at a minimum. A role that comes to mind of those primordial icons of Creation/Law.
And she excelled at it. Things were calm. Everyone followed decorum, and the rules, and everything ran smoothly.

And then, McMurphy arrives.

Now the sh1t gets crazy. Chaos seeps in and everything and everyone starts to get out of hand. And it spirals until the wheels truly do come off.
McMurphy even places a bet early on that he will cause so much upheaval that Nurse Ratched won't know up or down.
Talk about the Devil popping up and raising all kinds of hell.

A truly intriguing perspective in a new light on an old favorite.

Something else I paid more attention to, was the Chief, or rather, his own inner decision to begin to open up and take a chance on talking and moving about.
It's a fantastic and incredibly subtle build up that I've rarely paid close attention to. Since I was always caught up in the other patients and their interactions as well as the craft of the actors portraying them. All of which are just incredible to witness. Especially with McMurphy inciting them as he does.

And, in the end, when speaking of iconic scenes you can NOT skip over the Chief: "Mmm, Juicy Fruit,", the basketball scene where, after the first dunk of the basketball we see him striding off the court, and, of course, that very ending, which still causes me to catch my breath as it unfolds.
WARNING: "And speaking of the ending," spoilers below
I always find it pretty amazing. Considering the horrible suicide of Billy, it's not easy to bring it all to an end that still grips you, but it f@ckin does.
With McMurphy, having attempted to murder Ratched, by choking her, has been lobotomized.
The fact that the stoic Chief takes it upon himself to "free" McMurphy by suffocating him with a pillow and then, using brute strength to tear up the water hose system and sending it crashing through the barred window, is powerfully visceral. It is a primal force unleashed and its magnificent to behold.
The cheering of the other patients are like an electrical current that shoots through them and us.
Well, re: your juxtaposition of Ratched and McMurphy as "villain" and "hero", my reasoning has always been that McMurphy doesn't see the way the mental institution is ran as "dignified" for the patients, or that they're not really "living", which obviously connects with the ending. Though generally rebellious and insubordinate, McMurphy's overall actions are meant to make the patients feel like real human beings. But I understand your point in that Ratched is not a traditional villain, in the sense that she's not twisting her "moustache" and cackling at her own "evil". She's just doing her job, but as such, is a representation of a system that the author of the novel saw as a failure, and therefore something that people should rebel against.

I haven't read it, but being written in the 1960s, I've read that the novel (and hence the book) is meant to work both as a literal critique of traditional psychiatry and treatment of mental patients, but also as a metaphorical critique of traditional establishment institutions (government, military, etc.) and in favor of free-thinking, which in the 1960s was pretty much the thing.

Tomorrow's hint:

Some are struck dumb
Unwilling to shout
If they want to hang out

But others are social
Precipitating a gang
Who keep their eyes open

A Quiet Place
Grease

Tomorrow's hint:

Some are struck dumb
Unwilling to shout
If they want to hang out

But others are social
Precipitating a gang
Who keep their eyes open
Ferris Bueller's Day Off and A Clockwork Orange?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Tomorrow's hint:

Some are struck dumb
Unwilling to shout
If they want to hang out

But others are social
Precipitating a gang
Who keep their eyes open
1st part - Ferris Bueller
2nd part - Grease or A Clockwork Orange

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Ferris Bueller's Day Off and A Clockwork Orange?
Maybe another John Hughes film, The Breakfast Club? It's been a while since I've seen it though so not sure if it fits completely. I think we're spot on with the second one for sure.

Yup, A Clockwork Orange, the other bit's giving me a Breakfast Club vibes
Yeah, this...

Some are struck dumb - ???
Unwilling to shout - Allison doesn't talk at first
Who might cringe if you ask them If they want to hang out - obvious for the characters

But others are social precipitating a gang - applies to both
Who keep their eyes open - obvious to Clockwork
For slang while they sang - the slang in Clockwork, Alex sings while doing his thing but also the BC sings (or at least dance) to a song

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Wizard of Oz and The Godfather Part II are both absolute classics that would be in my own top 100, but not my top 25.

Back to the Future and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest are two films that I just don't love the way other people love them.

One of tomorrow's films is almost certainly A Clockwork Orange, still thinking about the rest of the clue.

I've seen some of the lists of what people think the remaining films are, and I think it's far too soon to say all these films will be there.

That said, my own remaining movies:

1. Cabaret (1972)
2. Thought it would, but becoming less certain
3. Definitely probably
4. Definitely

5. Made it last time but not now
6. No - too recent
7. Yes. Surely.
8. West Side Story (1961)
9. I would hope so
10. Might have shown lower down but unlikely now
11. As above
12. Never had a chance
13. Nor did this

14. Spirited Away (2001)
15. Never had a chance
16. Nope

17. The Terminator (1984)
18. Could have sneaked in lower, but won't be there now
19. Nope
20. Nope
21. Not this time
22. Not this time
23. Nope
24. Not this time

25. Dangerous Liaisons (1988) (1 pointer)