Greatest Filmmaker of all times

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Bluedeed, I'd be curious to see your top ten fave directors.
Hard to say, I don't rewatch a lot right now so some people who were some of my favorites a few years ago I can't really say anymore because I haven't seen anything of theirs in a while. I like to keep exploring, but I'll muster what I can.

In the order of whenever they came into my head just now:
Charlie Chaplin
Howard Hawks
Carl Dreyer
John Ford
Jacques Tati
Jacques Rivette
Yasujiro Ozu
Pedro Costa
Eric Rohmer
Hou Hsiao-Hsien

This is probably best termed a list of people who make me look at things differently. Special shoutouts to people who I'm really into right now!
Jacques Tourneur
Jerry Lewis
Michael Mann
Hong Sangsoo!

Bluedeed, what Charlie Chaplin movies would you say really demonstrate his greatness as a director?

I haven't seen anything that he's directed, but I wouldn't mind putting a couple on my to-watch list.

Bluedeed, what Charlie Chaplin movies would you say really demonstrate his greatness as a director?

I haven't seen anything that he's directed, but I wouldn't mind putting a couple on my to-watch list.
City lights is rated by AFI as the #1 romantic comedy of all time.

Well, I'm particularly interested in what Bluedeed would put forth precisely because he said Chaplin is one of his top 10 directors, and I think Bluedeed has excellent taste.

Personally I don't think Miyazaki is as good as Maasaki Yuasa, Satoshi Kon, or Mamoru Oshii. Oshii's Angel's Egg trumps anything Miyazaki has done in terms of artistic mastery, and Ghost in the Shell trumps anything Miyazaki has done in terms of mainstream animation. Miyazaki has made the best family and children's animation, but I don't think he's the greatest in terms of his directing. He has probably made a larger impact on the media of animation that any other single individual has had, but I find that people who make the most impact overall are not the peak of human potential in terms of skill, creativity, and pure genius. The truly greatest artists are usually not appreciated by people who do not have a deep understanding of the art, and those people are not very common because it takes years of hard work to reach that level of understanding and appreciation. I feel like I'm starting to get there, but I am not yet at the point where I can really go into a lot of depth explaining why one artistic masterpiece is so much better than another great masterpiece.
I am talking about objective influence. Yuasa, Kon and Oshii would also agree with me that Miazaki is the greatest. In fact, in poll of a animation critics in Japan, Miazaki had 3 movies in the top 3 animated movies, while the top 15 had 1 Oshii and none by Yuasa or Kon.

Also, I find Miyazaki to be by far the most artistically impressive animator. It's true his films are populated by innocent and pure childlike characters and he is not as aggressively experimental as Oshii or Yuasa but his work is of a technical excellence out of their league (or any other animation director)

Finally, when talking about greatest there is only one objective criteria the degree of influence over other artists. The rest is talking about your favorites and everything about art is essentially subjective.

I also don't think Kurasawa is at the same level as Ozu. Kurasawa's movies are more accessible, but they are not as potent or artistic as Ozu.
Kurosawa movies might not be as different from mainstream modern movies as Ozu but the does not make Ozu better. Just less influential: Kurosawa's work is more influential hence his movies are accessible because everybody has already watched hundreds of copies of his style, in film, animation and manga. Therefore, the idea that Ozu or Mizoguchi are better is mostly because their work failed to be as influential. However, fact is that Kurosawa is widely regarded in Japan as the greatest, in a poll of film critics Ozu had 1 on the top 30, Mizoguchi, 1, Kobayashi 1, Naruse, 1, Kinoshita, 1, Miazaki, 1, Kurosawa? 7!!!

I do think Tarkovsky is one of the greatest directors of all time. Maybe Fritz Lang. Definitely Ingmar Bergman, and on that note I should also mention Carl Theodore Dreyer.
Tarkovsky is pretty much the gold standard of art films.

Ingmar Bergman on Andrei Tarkovsky
"My discovery of Tarkovsky's first film was like a miracle.

Suddenly, I found myself standing at the door of a room the keys of which had, until then, never been given to me. It was a room I had always wanted to enter and where he was moving freely and fully at ease.

I felt encouraged and stimulated: someone was expressing what I had always wanted to say without knowing how.

Tarkovsky is for me the greatest, the one who invented a new language, true to the nature of film, as it captures life as a reflection, life as a dream."

Ingmar Bergman on cinema...
"When film is not a document, it is dream. That is why Tarkovsky is the greatest of them all. He moves with such naturalness in the room of dreams. He doesn't explain. What should he explain anyhow? He is a spectator, capable of staging his visions in the most unwieldy but, in a way, the most willing of media. All my life I have hammered on the doors of the rooms in which he moves so naturally. Only a few times have I managed to creep inside. Most of my conscious efforts have ended in embarrassing failure - THE SERPENT'S EGG, THE TOUCH, FACE TO FACE and so on.

Fellini, Kurosawa and Bunuel move in the same fields as Tarkovsky. Antonioni was on his way, but expired, suffocated by his own tediousness. Melies was always there without having to think about it. He was a magician by profession.

Film as dream, film as music. (Laterna Magica, page 73)"

Tarkovsky is UBER well regarded. Even when I went to a modern art museum in Rio, there were Tarkovsky quotes. Nobody would ever think he is not one of the greatest and most influential. In fact, in modern blockbuster movies by Nolan and co. There are explicit attempts to mimic tarkovsky. The guy us incredible indeed because his movies are the closest film is to stuff like the 9th.

A Countess From Hong Kong is in his top ten in his profile, and i've heard him mention Limelight before too. Just a few til he answers himself of course.

I loved what you just said, and what you quoted from Bergman, about Tarkovsky. I'm going to make sure to finish Tarkovsky's filmography this year.

When you talk about how great Tarkovsky is I completely agree, but when you talk about how great Miyazaki is you lean on popularity. Polls mean less than nothing. If the other directors would say that Miyazaki is greater than them, they're being humble, which is admirable, but it still doesn't mean it's necessarily true. Art is subjective, but what does that mean? Is art subjective in every sense? Certainly not or there would be no room for recognizing skill, creativity, composition, and other measurable qualities. If you say it's subjective, then how and why is Miyazaki the best? Isn't that just subjective, which in other words means he's not necessarily the best? You're talking about influence. Then Miyazaki is the most influential animator, I agree. But we're not talking about film making as a whole, we're talking specifically about directing in this thread at least. I admit that I don't really know very much about directing, but I still think those three are better than Miyazaki, and I think there are others who are better too, those were just the first three that came to mind. I could be wrong. Maybe there's something about Miyazaki's style that I don't understand is really so good, but what is it? Don't tell me polls and accessibility have anything to do with quality.

I respect you so much as an anime expert Guaporense, but you haven't really demonstrated how Miyazaki is greater than Oshii, Yasuo, and Kon, or why Kurasawa is greater than Ozu. You've only demonstrated that they are more popular, more influential, and more accessible.

A Countess From Hong Kong is in his top ten in his profile, and i've heard him mention Limelight before too. Just a few til he answers himself of course.
Ah, I see. Well then I should definitely add A Countess from Hong Kong to my to-watch list.

My bad, it says best Filmmaker of all time, not director... I'm not sure where that impression comes from, but that certainly changes the criteria.

What I did with Chaplin the other month was to watch his major features chronologically, from The Gold Rush to Monsieur Verdoux, and also read Andre Bazin's essays about him as I did. I thought they were excellent. I wish I watched some of his shorter films, and I still can't wait to get to Limelight and A Countess From Hong Kong, but it's good that I have stuff to look forward to.

I thought all the ones I watched were excellent, The Gold Rush and City Lights are probably his two most perfect comedies in that not many scenes feel like they need removing, the direction is tight and effective, but as we go on I think it's fascinating to see his themes, politics and how he saw himself as a person evolve. Monsieur Verdoux I think everyone should watch at some point.

As for who my favourites are. John Ford is probably my favourite right now. Then maybe Howard Hawks, although he doesn't have quite as many masterpieces, Hitchcock I absolutely love too, Jean-Luc Godard too who is the only French new wave director that I've had the pleasure to really explore beyond a few films.

There are a number of directors that I've seen fantastic films from but I just have to watch more before I can say they are one of the best. There are just so many films out there. I've seen two Murnau films that were both fantastic, two Renoirs, three Naruse, one Ozu, one Sirk, one Lubistch, a couple of Keaton, a few Tourneur etc.

Also a shout out to Francis Ford Coppola who is underrated, and one of the in my opinion the best formal story tellers there is, or at least was.

I kinda agree with Daniel on this, I started with his silent features, as few people talk about his talkies. Chaplin's view of the world and of his place in it changes drastically throughout his career. My favorite Chaplin films are: A Countess from Hong Kong (anybody who says that Limelight is the last significant Chaplin isn't watching him right!!), Monsieur Verdoux, and Limelight, probably in that order. That being said, I haven't seen a Chaplin that I've ever regretted watching or didn't enjoy. I love The Great Dictator, A King in New York, Modern Times, City Lights (his first sound film!), and The Pilgrim all very much.

I really would recommend watching his earlier features with the Tramp, and there's not much of a bad pick there, before venturing into his late career, but for me, the late career is the best he's done.

Some of my faves include Werner Herzog, Ingmar Bergman, Buster Keaton, Michelangelo Antonioni, Roman Polanski.

Directors I am currently exploring or intend to explore further:

Mike Leigh
Krzysztof Kieslowski
John Ford
Lars von Trier
Michael Haneke
Federico Fellini
Eric Rohmer

...and probs totes many more.

Who is the Greatest Filmmaker of all times ?
I would have thought someone like John Ford.

Oh yeah, Roman Polanski is up there too. Thanks Swan.

I've only seen part of a Werner Herzog movie, but it was really interesting. I need to explore him.

Okay Bluedeed, well I think I will start with A Countess from Hong Kong. I want to start with his best so that I'll have the strongest initial impression possible that will drive me to watch more.

Oh yeah, Roman Polanski is up there too. Thanks Swan.

I've only seen part of a Werner Herzog movie, but it was really interesting. I need to explore him.

Okay Bluedeed, well I think I will start with A Countess from Hong Kong. I want to start with his best so that I'll have the strongest initial impression possible that will drive me to watch more.
Noo! Don't do it! The way I read the film, much of it won't make sense unless you've seen his others!

Man you've been digging up a lot of threads. It seems unusual that you find Welles and Hitchcock to be in a league of their own yet you don't have either in your top 10. Hitchcock and Welles are great, but I think they both fit into JP Coursodon's analysis of Hitchcock that he is "less interested in his themes proper than in the practical business of putting them across in cinematic terms." (Excerpt found in this very good essay). Hitchcock and Welles' films are both nearly entirely absent of the documentary that other American greats bring to their films. I value both dearly, but their art, being of a very technical nature and right in front of your face, seems to often be taken as the greatest more because of the ease with which one can view and analyze it, rather than the depths of their complexity. Then again, this is something of a reduction.

I went through hundreds of old thread last night because I had accidentally duplicated some of them when was considering new thread topics. I had Citizen Kane listed in my favorites, but recently (last week) removed for the very reason you pointed out. I acknowledge the that Welles and Hitchcock were perhaps the greatest directors (they use both held up as exemplary in film textbooks) but when I asked myself if Citizen Kane is my favorite movie I had o be honest and say I prefer Jarmusch or Wim Wenders. I don't think it is bad to acknowledge that films by probably two of the best film directors are not your favorite.

I went through hundreds of old thread last night because I had accidentally duplicated some of them when was considering new thread topics. I had Citizen Kane listed in my favorites, but recently (last week) removed for the very reason you pointed out. I acknowledge the that Welles and Hitchcock were perhaps the greatest directors (they use both held up as exemplary in film textbooks) but when I asked myself if Citizen Kane is my favorite movie I had to be honest and say I prefer Jarmusch or Wim Wenders. I don't think it is bad to acknowledge that films by probably two of the best film directors are not your favorite.
I tend to be wary of the "it's amazing, I just like other things more argument." If you're confident in your love for Jarmusch (whom I love) and Wenders (whom I like), you should fight for them as the best. I don't think that greatest has anything to do with how well someone is held up in film textbooks, that's a silly way of looking at things.

Once again ''Greatest'' is highly subjective to each but some of my favorite are:
Stanley Kubrick (probably the best of the 70's and 80's)
David Fincher (probably my favorite Thriller/Crime filmmaker)
John Carpenter (The Master of Horror.)
Steven Spielberg (This director is my entire childhood and he's the summer blockbuster master)
Darren Aronofsky (each time I watch and Aronofsky flick it as to be brilliant and very interesting)
Scott Derrickson (This one is more personal than everything... I love this guy and in my opinion he can be big in the future because he make some pretty awesome horror movie and the atmosphere is always special in his flicks)
James Wan (Another personal favorite of mine... Love this guy for the contribution he give to horror movies and because he is one of the only that make awesome modern horror movies, Once again the atmosphere and the tension in his movies is special to me)
Tony Kaye (He does two instant-classic with American History X and Detachment and one awesome documentary Lake Of Fire and after nothing... I wish he make more movie in the future because this guy is awesome)

These are Directors I consider The ''Greatest'' for myself because I will watch each movie they make and they never gonna disappoint me.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Well my personal favorite is Scorsese, if you couldn't already tell from my username, and he is one of the greats, I just don't know if he is THE greatest.

I am the Watcher in the Night
I certainly see Eastwood getting a lot of credit as a "filmmaker" as he has done everything from acting to directing and producing. However, I'm not such a big fan of his acting, as it's often the same, repetitive, type cast character role: the tough, gruff man of few words. I often find him very wooden.

His directed movies (Iwo Jima, Mystic River, Invictus and Unforgiven) are certainly very good. NO argument with that.

My personal favourite director, one who sadly has fallen far short of his greatest work in recent years, has to be Steven Spielberg, the master of the blockbuster. Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, E.T., Minority Report, Jaws, Indy and so on are all great films and some of them are cultural icons. Spielberg is the originator the great blockbuster which can also be a great work of art.

Other names that come to mind and follow in the same vein as Spielberg are Nolan and Cameron.

Also, I have to mention David Fincher (Seven, Fight Club and Benjamin Button are some of my fave movies ever). No one does suspense and violence and thoughtful brutality like Fincher.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"