The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

8 ½ is a film I used to hate when I first got into film. I rewatched it after a couple of years and grew to love it. I'd say it's a masterpiece, but not a "personal masterpiece" to me. Obviously, it's very good technically and the meta and autobiographical-commentary is a strong one. I used to have, and still to some extent have, problem with Fellini's style, and rhythm. He's buoyant in a Dionysian way which sure irritated my then-dead-serious sensibilities. I still prefer Nights of Cabiria and La Dolce Vita over 8 ½.
I appreciate this point. It is down to taste to some degree. I adore Fellini's whimsical style and brazenly Italian way of expressing himself. I find it utterly charming in 8 1/2, but I can certainly understand how someone might differ. Would I be correct in assuming you are no fan of Amarcord for similar reasons?

Again neither in my list.
Haven't watched 8 1/2. Love Butch cassidy and the sundance kid.

Here's a question I was thinking about looking at my list. How many of your 25 have you only seen once? I have 3. I love to rewatch movies but there is so much left out there to see that many times I skip a rewatch for something new. I really value that initial watch too. Maybe more than I should considering my memory. Thoughts?
Just went through my list. I have seen all those films multiple times. I fact there is one movie in it, that is just three years old and I have watched it five times in the theatre alone (one normal, one 3D, and thrice IMAX). I make it a point to watch it, every time it comes on the telly. And on top of that, I have a copy of it which I put on sometimes for fun.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

When I first watched 8½,, I thought the film was an incomprehensible mess. It was only after I thought about it and I rewatched it that I realized that it was anything but without form or unstructured. is basically Fellini laying out all his insecurities on film and showing you exactly why he's having a difficult time making his next film. Fellini had already made seven-and-one-half films, and his previous film, La Dolce Vita was his biggest hit and made him an even bigger cause celebre. is certainly a personal film for Fellini, where he not only bears his soul as a human and a filmmaker, but where he gleefully accepts surrealism as a new road to travel down. Marcello Mastroianni titanically plays the alter ego of Fellini and certainly paints him in a less-than-flattering light. Actually, Fellini provides a lot of comedy to go along with the more-somber parts of the film, and he also has the most-attractive female cast he ever had. Most people cite the opening dream sequence as a highlight and an inviting entryway into the film.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is my #20.
This stylish western is filled with wonderful technique. I especially like the way it begins with a silent movie playing over the titles, and turns sepia to introduce the leading characters in highly-stylized scenes. William Goldman's script is a showpiece to exhibit the charm and wit of Paul Newman and Robert Redford. Even with all the wonderful comic and action highlights, the heart of the film is the long trek trying to escape the posse doggedly on their trail. After all is said and done, I still believe my fave part is the shootout ending in Bolivia with its pumped-up sound and editing.

My List

9. Cabaret
20. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Would I be correct in assuming you are no fan of Amarcord for similar reasons?
Actually I liked Amarcord but I watched it after I already got used to Fellini's style. But yes, in a way I feel disconnected from Amarcord for a similar reason.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

There are many cinematic giants I would love to revisit, but I just can't for some reason. Titanic being one, it was a very good film when it came out but will I feel the same way after the rewatch? I just can't do it.
Surprisingly Titanic (1997) still works for me. It still tugs on my heart strings. I re-watch it in long intervals though. Like few years intervals.

I love Titanic. Saw it twice in theaters and have seen it several times afterwards. Then again, I've always been a sorta Titanic buff, long before the film came out. I had read several books about the incident, including A Night to Remember back when I was on high school or college, and I even had a sorta PC simulation game that let you navigate inside the ship... so Cameron's fixation to details really played to my field. The romantic story? Ehh, I didn't care a lot, but it didn't bother me either.

There is y'all Paul Blart Mall Cop clue.. I have never seen it and do not want to.. but apparently, there are those of you out there who love it..

Flowers For Algernon!

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Manhattan
Manhunter

Tomorrow's hint:

To what pretty place can a young man go to find those blooming skyscrapers?
Blade Runner and Magnolia?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra