Brian McGinn | 2015

Lemonade
Various | 2016

Midnight Special
Jeff Nichols | 2016

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Jacques Demy | 1964

Paper Towns:

Without a doubt the best part of this movie is Ryan Lott's score. Wow. This is the best music I've ever heard trapped in a mediocre teen movie that no film fan will care about. The plot is basically Gone Girl for people too young to watch Gone Girl. The acting and writing aren't anything special, but it's (usually) not bad either, and everyone is likable enough. It's a totally pleasant HBO watch if you don't expect anything else.

The Ladykillers (1955)

+

British film in which five criminals planning a heist, board with an old lady under the guise of classical musicians. It's a pretty funny, entertaining movie with the typical great Alec Guinness performance, but I think it's the old lady (Katie Johnson) who really makes the movie. Peter Sellers as one of the crooks was a disappointment.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Second time around and I feel exactly the same about this film as the first time. It's a good film, it's Star Wars, I like the characters. It doesn't have the originality or wow factor for a fifth star but it's a good movie.

Deadpool (2016)
-

One of the worst movies in a long time. I hate fart jokes and toilet humor and this movie was fart jokes and toilet humor...
Really really generic storyline with really really generic characters except Deadpool. He was just annoying ugly ****. Maybe there wasn't any story after all. I don't even know.
For first 5 minutes I was a bit entertained, then it started to get tedious and repetitive. Joke after joke... I didn't saw any scene which didn't include a joke. Oh, and these references seemed out of place. Please stop referencing other better movies cause it hurts while I am watching crap. Yeah, even Blade was better and it still sucked.
Deadpool is cliche of R-rating. It's actually PG-13. It's for kids who reached puberty in february 2016.
If you are a fan of the comics, I think you would enjoy it a lot more. Even so, I think it is a good movie.

Welcome to the human race...
X-Men: First Class -

Man, Matthew Vaughn really wants to make an old-fashioned spy movie.

X-Men: First Class -

Man, Matthew Vaughn really wants to make an old-fashioned spy movie.
Bro, did Matthew Vaughn screw your sister or something? It seems like you have a vendetta against the man. I think he is a solid director. Kingsman, Kick-Ass, and X-Men: First Class are all pretty good.

And you say that I use one word/sentence answers. Do you mind putting some thought into these opinions or just explain them more fully?

Welcome to the human race...
And you say that I use one word/sentence answers. Do you mind putting some thought into these opinions or just explain them more fully?
I already wrote multi-paragraph reviews of both Kingsman and Kick-Ass. I may or may not do one of similar length for First Class when the time comes.

No, don't do that. Just look at his reviews for those movies. I've read his opinions on those too often already. I think they're all good movies, so I just ignore it.
This guy gets it - I think.

Kameradschaft (1931)

Probably the best movie I've seen in a long time. I'm going to call this film a small masterpiece of cinematic history!

The story of German miners who put national animosities aside (since tensions are still raw after WWI) to go rescue French miners on the other side of the border after a mine explosion & cave in.

The movie is very realistic. You won't find any cardboard-looking sets here. Everything from costumes to equipment looks real - even a 1931 mechanical artificial respirator keeping an injured man alive!

The special effects are limited, but extremely well done for the time. The film captures a feeling of claustrophobia inside the mines and the filmography of the mine scenes is visually very dark. I don't know if this was due to the 1930's camera technology or was done on purpose. Either way, it adds to the atmosphere inside the shafts. Despite the darkness, you rarely feel as if you don't know what's going on (unlike a lot of modern movies that forego clarity for atmosphere or special effects).

On one hand this is a disaster movie made long before Irwin Allen made the genre popular. On the other, it's an allegory about peace, cooperation and humanity.

The truly heartbreaking thing about watching this film is not about the plot, but knowing the historical context that would follow in real life. In the film, truckloads of Germans enter France to save French miners. In real life, less than a decade later, truckloads of Germans would enter France to take the country by force. Apparently the beautiful message of this film (its title means "Comradeship") was lost upon the architects of the Third Reich.

5 Popcorn Boxes!