The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Seeing as my #1 pick is up... from my thread...
OK, it's very easy just to harp on about how this film is a Classic, and I will be at some point...

However, the film is packed with a number of inconsistencies, continuity errors, and a few naïve mistakes and almost experimental filmmaking in terms of being one of the earliest creature features.

But putting that aside, this film is the Granddaddy of the modern Horror Genre and gave movie fans the Zombie Genre to boot.

Copied many a time, the original Resident Evil videogame for a start, using the "Haunted House" theme is a prime example along with Shyamalan's Signs... but also, what was seen at the time as a brave move in casting.
Duane Jones as the Hero Ben was controversial at the time, yet according to Romero, he was cast simply due to his audition being the best. In Hindsight, Romero broke the mould and moved cinematic taboos beyond words.

The film itself though, along with the naivety, is ground-breaking in its simplicity. The low budget allows for a raw, gritty and atmospheric film that throws the viewer into a claustrophobic adventure full of, I'll coin a phrase here, "mysterious psychological Horror"... meaning, the Horror comes from not knowing what it is that's actually happening to the world outside the boarded up windows of the house.

It'd also be easy to just point out that the film is quite literally just a small group of people in a house, things outside want to get in and there's some occasional gore.
The simplicity really doesn't affect the film though. Romero's execution of the simple screenplay and script and getting some brilliant, realistic emotion from the actors involved makes the Horror and weird goings-on even more potent.

Which brings me to the acting.
Duane Jones as Ben is a mark of genius. This is by far one of the strongest leading roles I've seen in such a low budget film. Not only is this Jones' first film, he only made 8 films altogether in his career but wow... and all from a guy who was actually an Art Director by trade.

Judith O'Dea also shines in what was one of only a couple roles she ever played. She's more of the typical Damsel in distress after seeing her Brother get chomped but O'Dea makes an absolute legend of a character that has lived in the minds of the populous for nearly 50 years. The fact that O'Dea really didn't like Horror Films as they scared her, shows in her performance too.

We're also treated to Karl Hardman, Marilyn Eastman and Kyra Schon as the Cooper family. Karl Hardman in particular makes for an almost antagonist role, constantly coming to loggerheads with everyone around him.

Keith Wayne, Judith Ridley and Russell Streiner make up the rest of the group. All give a decent show and make the cramped spaces even more edgy and unbearable.

As for action and effects etc. Again, the low budget gives a different edge than other Zombie films.
Rather than shock factor, the small cramped spaces in the house, varying camera angles, music and lighting are used to create atmosphere alongside the edgy acting.
It makes the film universally recognisable and when some of the gory stuff does start kicking in it gives a bigger impact.
Top stuff.

---

All in all, the Granddaddy of the Zombie Genre.
Seen often as a Cult Film but made a star of George A Romero and has stood the test of time for nearly 50 years.

Low budget and filmed in Black And White, the edginess of the film comes from the acting and sheer style of photography and never lets up in terms of tension and atmosphere. Romero really knew how to utilise what he had to work with.

A true Classic.

My rating: 94%

Woman in the Dunes was my #17. Great use of symbolism and one of the more profound movies I watched in preparation for the countdown, the stunning camerawork and the killer soundtrack make it that much more memorable.

Not a huge fan of Night of the Living Dead but I may have to watch it again.

Seen both voted for neither. Night of the Living Dead was a bore for me. Bunch of silly dialogue. Woman in the Dunes is a bit better. Slow, and occasionally rewarding, but I still didn't consider it.

Night of the Living Dead was number 17 on my list, and is the 8th film to appear on the countdown.

Zombies have become very overexposed and ruined now. They're rarely exciting to me anymore. I am not fascinated by stuff like The Walking Dead. I haven't actually seen that, but, it doesn't call to me.

But Night of the Living Dead... that's a really creepy movie. Everything about it from the atmosphere, to the black and white picture, to the score, to that great opening scene in a graveyard followed by the single old man zombie chasing her to that house.... when I watched it the last time, I felt like I was watching something that's a MAJOR classic. Like The Wizard of Oz.

The fact that the zombies are supposedly reanimated because of radiation that came from a space probe that returned from the planet Venus... that makes it fascinating, too. The fact that something from outer space that is foreign to our planet created those monsters... and how realistic it all seems. It's like a sci-fi movie, but instead of silly looking aliens, the monsters are human corpses.

I think zombies are ruined nowadays because for some reason, people treat zombies like they're really cool. People want zombie apocalypses and things like that just for the experience. It's so irritating. NOBODY would be partying over the fact that zombies were everywhere. You really want to see people you care about dead and zombified? It's sick.

Night of the Living Dead is good because it was made at a time before all of this nonsense and coolness with zombies came about. Now zombies aren't taken seriously anymore. There's always something kind of stupid and not that serious about them. They've been done to death.

From your description of NOTLD Sexy, you might really like the first two seasons of Walking Dead.
No thank you. Horror doesn't belong on television, ultimately. Too much and it's like a nightmare you can't wake up from.

Master of My Domain
Confession: I didn't vote for Woman in the Dunes, even though I have been singing about it since the beginning of this thread.

Why? Because even though I gave it a
after watching it for the Hall of Fame, I will still unsure if I truly loved it or not, plus even if I did certainly like it it takes a bit time for a new favorite to sink into my mind, unless it totally blew me away, which is a rare instant 5 star movie.

Haven't seen Night of the Living Dead

My list so far, this time I'll do a full overview of what I think will make it or not

1. Top 20
2. Top 15 or possibly Top 10
3. Top 15
4. Definitely Top 10
5. Please at least Top 15
6. Playtime
7. Belle De Jour
8. L'Avventura
9. Probably will be one of the next 4
10. Won't make it
11. Bonnie and Clyde
12. La Dolce Vita
13. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
14. Z
15. Definitely Top 10
16. Won't make it
17. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
18. Won't make it
19 Won't make it but there is a slight chance that it will
20. Repulsion
21. Next 4 or bust
22. Gave up hope long ago
23. Onibaba
24. Gave up hope long ago
25. The Manchurian Candidate

No thank you. Horror doesn't belong on television, ultimately. Too much and it's like a nightmare you can't wake up from.
You don't have to convince me. My Ex loved it and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the first two seasons. After that it became the disaster I was expecting and I baled.

High and Low is a loose adaptation of Evan "Hunter" McBain's novel King's Ransom. McBain wrote the screenplay to The Birds. Therefore, I predict Woman in the Dunes and The Birds will be somewhere between 19 and 17.
Looks like 1/2 of my prediction has come true. Let's hope the second half is true as well.

Dunes was my lucky 13.

Surprised to see Woman in the Dunes so high. I think a couple years ago this film is in the bottom quarter of the list, five years ago it doesn't make it. Great job, Movieforums! I had it #3. I've rewatched a few times over the years and it keeps getting better. Can't wait for my next rewatch.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Hot damn, my number one! Still five more that I believe will make the list.

01. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
06. The Haunting (1963)
08. Barefoot in the Park (1967)
12. What Ever Happen to Baby Jane? (1962)
15. They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1969)
16. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
17. The Great Escape (1963)
18. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (1967)
19. The Sound of Music (1965)

I also don't know whether to be scared for The Birds or happy. No way that didn't make 100, right?
I've seen you mention The Birds before. Are you being serious about it? Do you want it on the list?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Woman in the Dunes seems to be about a very-organized man from the city who comes to a remote area and has his life turned upside down with no rhyme or reason. But you can't help but think that its really about something else. How far you want to take it (or leave it) is up to each viewer. With that super-freaky, otherworldly musical score, it almost turns the sand into something as alien as LV-426. I've seen it a few times, including last year with Sarah.

Night of the Living Dead I saw for the first time on TV in about 1973. At the time, it was not that well-thought of. The print wasn't that great, and my initial reaction was that it was cheap and poorly-acted, but that there was something about it that kept me watching. Of course, I grew up watching every cheap horror and sci-fi film ever shown on TV or sometimes at the theatre where even there, if they were foreign, they'd be dubbed and cut. I don't recall if it was cut when I first saw it but it probably was, even if only slightly. I've probably seen it a dozen times since, and I still have some of my original problems with it, but overall, it's much better in its structure and suspense than I originally thought. A funny thing I notice is that much of the film has a cliched musical score, but there's also a futuristic-sounding score which is effective, especially in the last five minutes which I think is the eeriest part of the film.

I didn't vote for either film.

I'm a big Teshigahara fan, so I'm surprised and delighted to see Woman in the Dunes so high on this list - even if I didn't vote for it. It's an absolutely fantastic film. I did for for one of his films, (Pitfall (1962)) which at this point has next to no chance of making the list so I don't feel bad about revealing it here. Either way I'm glad he has any showing at all let alone this high up.

Night of the Living Dead, I like, but I prefer the next two films in the series over the first one. We can forget about what came after...

I've seen you mention The Birds before. Are you being serious about it? Do you want it on the list?
Yeah, it's my favorite Hitchcock, and I'm a big fan. Very high on my list.

Yeah, it's my favorite Hitchcock, and I'm a big fan. Very high on my list.
It's not my favorite Hitchcock film, but it is very high on my list. There's a good chance we're alone on this one.

Someone should make a probable list of the remaining 18. Okay, I'll start it...

Lawrence of Arabia
Dr Strangelove
Persona
Psycho
The Wild Bunch
Yojimbo
Sanjuro (will it make it? I'm not the biggest fan but I think others are)
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Apartment
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Graduate
Midnight Cowboy
Rosemary's Baby
Dr. Zhivago (?)
The Birds (?)
Cool Hand Luke

That's 18. Anything I'm forgetting here? I voted for Planet of the Apes, guess it won't make it. I wonder about Zhivago making it this high, so maybe there's something in its place.