Am I the only one who hates Avatar????

Tools    

Avatar is well made, great graphics and all that, but its well over hyped as it has a **** cliche' story and is effectively a parody of James Cameron's back catalogue, using his same ideas already used in his previous films.
I just don't see how the CGI is groundbreaking. I mean, maybe the behind the scenes techniques were but what shows up on screen doesn't look real. Davy Jones in Pirates looked more realistic. So did the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park which came out 18 years ago!

its not worth watching

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I just don't see how the CGI is groundbreaking. I mean, maybe the behind the scenes techniques were but what shows up on screen doesn't look real. Davy Jones in Pirates looked more realistic. So did the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park which came out 18 years ago!

lol @ realistic.

its a world you saw for the very 1st time. to what do you compare it to?

You're working from a very limited definition of "CGI." I'll re-watch Avatar some day and then maybe I'll have a more nuanced impression of the effects but for now I'll just point out that CGI isn't limited to character modeling or texture effects. A lot of development goes into compositing and motion which has seen large advances in the last ten years. It's been a while since I've seen Jurassic Park but I just watched the sequel (1997) and it's very restrained and grounded in terms of camera placement and movement in the big effects scenes, compared to more-recent blockbusters (take three that used Weta Digital: Van Helsing, King Kong, and Avatar). I'll have to re-watch Pirates but off hand I don't recall it being more impressive than Avatar in terms of the world and the camera. JP is a poor comparison though (does it even try to do anything similar to the flying sequences?).

Its fair to ding any of these on subjective stylistic grounds but it's also just as fair to like them for the very same reasons. I know a few MoFos who really seem to go in for the airbrushed fantasy art aesthetic, which is what Avatar seemed to be going for. In terms of having an eye that's not bound by the physical limitations of a real camera Avatar is way beyond any 90s blockbusters that I can think of, and probably one of the more-impressive movies of the last 10 years. I'll admit that none of the movies mentioned in this post (including JP and Pirates of course) are as impressive as Benjamin Button when it comes to character modeling and textures though.

The look of Avatar tickled my fancy as it recalled those wonderful Album covers by Roger Dean.

&feature=related

A system of cells interlinked
I don't see any similarity with Avatar in regards to the album covers. I see ice and water, neither of which was in Avatar at all. Do you mean the sort of eroded island on a spire in the top picture? I guess, with a stretch, I could see the similarity between the floating mountains in the sky on Pandora and the top picture. Still, I feel like Cameron snagged that idea from the land of Nagrand in World of Warcraft...

Meanwhile - good album choices! Fragile, especially!

I'm not suggesting they are carbon copies, im sayen the whimsy nature of another planet reminded me of Robert Dean.

Dean album covers could have doubled for a science fantasy work of literature. I'm kinda surprised that hasn't been tapped yet actually.

interesting worlds hinted at here

yeah sorry to say u r the first person who is saying that he hates AVATAR

yeah sorry to say u r the first person who is saying that he hates AVATAR
No he isn't. I can point to at least 10 people just on this site alone that didn't like Avatar. I like it, but I can totally see why some folks think it's ****.

I personally thought it was a great movie. The visuals WERE incredible as was the 3D, it is still the best 3D movie that has been made so far! The storyline and characters may be recycled, but it was visually stunning. Makes me wonder if some of the people who didn't like maybe had a hard time with suspending their disbelief and that's why it didn't appeal to them..?

OMG....i effin hate this movie..i have never seen it and i never will...if i need a lesson in tolerance...oh wait i grew up on x-men...im done with "tolerance" being cramed down my throat..

i get it...but i figured it out a long time ago..i dont need blue people telling me what its like to be differnt..

OMG....i effin hate this movie..i have never seen it and i never will...if i need a lesson in tolerance...oh wait i grew up on x-men...im done with "tolerance" being cramed down my throat..

i get it...but i figured it out a long time ago..i dont need blue people telling me what its like to be differnt..
How can you "effin hate" a movie you have never seen

well agreed the idea is not original but the execution is beautifully. it may not be the best movie ever but its out there very close to being the best ever made.

well agreed the idea is not original but the execution is beautifully. it may not be the best movie ever but its out there very close to being the best ever made.
Nope, not even close. Not even in the Top 100, IMO. I think it's a fun watch, but the film resides firmly in the summer blockbuster fluff category.

It's definitely not in my top 100 or top 500 movies. But c'mon, why hate on Avatar when there are greater filths like Twilight, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, The Last Airbender etc.

i didnt get hit in the head either...but im pretty sure i dont like it...but i thought the real avitar looked really good, im refering to air bender....

and transformers is sooo good because when you saw it for the first time, you couldnt tell if the robots were fake or not. there was no tell-tale outline or no clear evidence of a blue screen..and im sorry...did anyone else go back to watch bone crusher roller skate through a bus...on fire!!!??

or barricade transform from a mustang..and then growl at you???

avitar sucks, it looks stupid, and i knew from watching the previews it was going to be something i would hate....

hows about a lesson in logic.