Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

There is so much about this movie that makes me think it shouldn't work. But it is probably the best straight faced Werewolf movie I've ever seen.

I don't think I was paying attention. I have no idea what this movie was supposed to be. It was just this unformed thing. Not that that's a bad thing. It's becoming the kind of movie I like thinking about now that it's over. But while I was actually watching it, I was left cold.

There is so much about this movie that makes me think it shouldn't work. But it is probably the best straight faced Werewolf movie I've ever seen.
I got sidetracked, but I intended to make a pitch for this one when we were discussing Hammer the other day. Glad to see you watched it anyway. It's one of the good ones. Reed really pulls off the "guy tortured by his lycanthropy" thing in a way Chaney Jr could never. The

is legitimately disturbing even though it's mostly offscreen.
And in my opinion this is the one Hammer monster makeup that is the equal to the Jack Pierce classics.

I don't think I was paying attention. I have no idea what this movie was supposed to be. It was just this unformed thing. Not that that's a bad thing. It's becoming the kind of movie I like thinking about now that it's over. But while I was actually watching it, I was left cold.
I was taken by some of the imagery (the women hovering behind the glass), and also by some of the really disturbing implications, ie
WARNING: spoilers below
a guy raising the daughter of the woman he loved so that he can have sex with her

Victim of The Night

I agree with you 100% on Curse, I actually really liked The Black Cat. But I can see how if you're weren't watching attentively it might not make much sense. It's a bit kooky. Which is largely why I love it. Also another of my favorite Lugosi appearances. And Karloff can simply do no wrong in my opinion.

And Karloff can simply do no wrong in my opinion.
This is not an opinion. It is the witness of merciless nature.

There has been so many horror movies I've crammed that I haven't mentioned, and probably don't remember. I think I averaged a minimum of one a day, and mostly first time watches. A real mixed bag but full of pleasure. Only one or two real turds.

Devil's Night is getting the Return of the Living Dead treatment here. It's already annoyed my gf out of the room, so it still possesses it's raw natural essence.

At least some things can be counted on in this world. I'm just waiting for her to yell down at me to try watching it with my headphones on. Then the circle will be unbroken.

The Black Cat has top tier image making, combined with two horror stars at the top of their game. It might have been the easiest 10/10 I gave a movie last year. I will not stand for this ambivalence.

The Black Cat has top tier image making, combined with two horror stars at the top of their game. It might have been the easiest 10/10 I gave a movie last year. I will not stand for this ambivalence.

I am very conscious of my (probable) wrongness.

It's why I qualified my opinion by saying I wasn't paying attention.

4.5/5

Almost as emotionally vulgar a movie as Possession. The tone of this film lives at such a consistently high pitch, this drama about rebelling servants often feels like a horror movie. At least when it isn't feeling like a farce. And just as uncertain as you may feel about how you should react to what you are watching (be frightened? laugh?), this movie just keeps testing your willingness to understand who the villains are here.

I ****ing love this.

4.5/5

Almost as emotionally vulgar a movie as Possession. The tone of this film lives at such a consistently high pitch, this drama about rebelling servants often feels like a horror movie. At least when it isn't feeling like a farce. And just as uncertain as you may feel about how you should react to what you are watching (be frightened? laugh?), this movie just keeps testing your willingness to understand who the villains are here.

I ****ing love this.
I think I just saw this on the Criterion Channel when I was browsing last night.

Same. I'd never noticed it before yesterday. This channel is the absolute best.
Have you watched Private Property, the 1960 made for TV movie in their Home Invasion collection? I have been slightly obsessed with it for the last month and keep going back to watch parts. Maybe I just over-identify with the woman at home alone angle, LOL.

Have you watched Private Property, the 1960 made for TV movie in their Home Invasion collection? I have been slightly obsessed with it for the last month and keep going back to watch parts. Maybe I just over-identify with the woman at home alone angle, LOL.

No, but I'll watch nearly anything I haven't heard of on this. Only one or two mystery films have let me down so far.