What are you listening to while you're MoFoin' it?

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?

The People's Republic of Clogher
PiL - Public Image

The Sex Pistols did the job with Punk, but the feeling remains that they were just McLaren's plaything. With PiL, Lydon showed that he was the real deal.

Rise is one of my favourite songs with Public Image not too far behind.

Loads of classics in their career, it's true. Their later stuff is great as well.

I'm picking Rise because I bought it on 7" when it came out, and then the album ... err ... Album.

Rise is great, the first time I heard it on the radio, I was like, "wait, is that John Lydon?" I also love his whole pretense that PiL weren't a band, but a corporation that were gonna like, make films and destroy pop music by making catchy pop music and stuff.

Can't remember whether I got into PiL because I'd been listening to the Sex Pistols or vice versa but it was the first music that I understood as being different. And brilliant.

To juxtapose - Other stuff I was listening to in 1983 (I was 13): Duran Duran, U Friggin' 2, The Cult. Appreciating PiL at that age was a bit like reading Joyce or Zola.

While I'm thinking about U Bloody 2, did anyone catch them at Glastonbury? I inadvertently tuned into a couple of songs but then started to turn a funny colour and had to change channels. Nice to see Bono still walking round the stage like he's just messed himself, however....

But.

Achtung Baby and Zooropa are excellent albums.

There, I said it.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I was made to watch them. And Beyonce (whose band could actually kick it a bit to be fair, in a strangely muted way, but ultimately her show was a fractured bit of exploding eye candy, like Jay Z a few years back come to that).

In fairness, a couple of U2's big numbers are still a lot of fun to bounce along to while make simple communal noises . But the strutting and pomp do set my teeth on edge. The whole patch-in-to-space-station baloney and ending on a totally tame 'made for glasto' song were just pretension-soaked meh.

The 'hands across the water'/Brits-ain't-all-evil stuff was welcome tho

I was kinda hoping for the rain to short out 'The Edge' at one point too tho...

---

Weirdly my highlight was Paul Simon doing some of his Gracelandishness with a giant band, African harmonies and everything, on the blessed burning hot Sunday. Surprisingly danceable-to, and beautiful to boot.

That and a beatboxer who came on just after. Faith SFX I believe. Altho watching a tube vid doesn't quite compare to the guy vibrating a crowd with nothing but his voicebox. Mad skills indeed

Heh, I never tire of that Bill Bailey skit.

In addition, have a listen to how many of Adam Clayton's basslines are exactly the same. And the lyrics are frequently ponderous. And ... argh, it's only U2.

They're as relevant these days as The Rolling Stones.

The Joshua Trio featured Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews in their pre-Father Ted careers. A welcome antidote at the time to Bono's deification.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Tatty
They're as relevant these days as The Rolling Stones.
Ahh, Mick's lips could provide a thousand cellulite implants for the 3rd world :S

More comedians should go into music. I want to hear Frankie Boyle do 'I Did It My Way', and Stewart Lee sing like a thousand upset beetles

Keep on Rockin in the Free World

Track listing

Side one
No. Title Lead vocals Length
1. "Enter the Young" (Terry Kirkman) Kirkman 2:45
2. "Your Own Love" (Jules Alexander, Jim Yester) Giguere 2:19
3. "Don't Blame It on Me" (Don Addrisi, Dick Addrisi) Giguere 2:30
4. "Blistered" (Billy Edd Wheeler) Giguere 1:52
5. "I'll Be Your Man" (Russ Giguere) Giguere 2:48
6. "Along Comes Mary" (Tandyn Almer) Yester 2:46
Side two
No. Title Lead vocals Length
1. "Cherish" (Kirkman) Kirkman 3:27
2. "Standing Still" (Ted Bluechel) Yester and Bluechel 2:47
3. "Message of Our Love" (Almer, Curt Boettcher) Kirkman 4:06
4. "Round Again" (Alexander) Kirkman and Giguere 1:49
5. "Remember" (Alexander) Yester 2:36
6. "Changes" (Alexander) Alexander 2:32

Listen here :
http://grooveshark.com/#/album/And+T...iation/2677308

Beethoven... the greatest musician who ever lived. So beautiful.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage