Best Steve Martin Movie

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by CrazyforMovies
I don't really like him, however it's ironic how much I liked him in Cheaper by the Dozen. I thought he was extremely funny and likeable in this film.
Me too. My favorite is Sgt.Bilko. I don't know why, but I like it.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Lets put a smile on that block
Oh me oh my so many to choose from. Steve Martin, is eeeeasily = Legend.

Firstly my absoloute Faves...

Planes, Trains and Automobiles - "And I really don't care for the way your company left me in the middle of f***ing nowhere with f***ing keys to a f***ing car that isn't f***ing there. And I really didn't care to f***ing walk down a f***ing highway and across a f***ing runway to get back here to have you smile at my f***ing face. I want a f***ing car RIGHT F***ING NOW!"

Little Shop of Horrors - "I am your Deeeeeentist and i enjoy the pain i INFLICT!"

ParentHood - "Yeah if she's so brilliant why is she sitting in our NEIGHBOR'S CAR?"

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels - Rupret

HouseSitter - On finding his new parent-in laws are tramps - "Oh.....My......God."

And the ones i still really enjoy...

Father of the Bride

Pennies from Heaven

Leap of Faith

Dead Men Dont wear Plaid

Roxanne

Apart from these i choose not watch too many of his new films...i may get upset.

Bruce Campbell Groupie
Little Shop of Horrors
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

IMO its a Tie for #1 between NOVOCAINE & THE SPANISH PRISONER

After that DEAD MEN DONT WEAR PLAID or MAN WITH 2 BRAINS

I'm a big Steve Martin fan. I love all of his movies...some faves..

The Man with two Brains
Roxanne
Father of the Bride 1 and 2
Bringing Down the House

May The Forks be With Us
all of them are enjoyable but i really really like cheaper by the dozen but i also loved planes, trains, and automobiles. its so hard.....

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I'd have to go with Planes, Trains, & Automobiles too... followed by All of Me...
See great minds think a like

Pennies from Heaven is going to be playing on the big screen here in Portland the week of September 10-16! I can hardly wait!

"Jeepers, Joanie. What lovely...lovely little rosebuds."
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I would have to say Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, but The Jerk is a close 2nd.. BTW anyone know if he has anything planned for the near future?

Originally Posted by 7thson
I would have to say Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, but The Jerk is a close 2nd.. BTW anyone know if he has anything planned for the near future?
Yes, he's starring in Shopgirl, which he adapted from his own novella. It co-stars Claire Danes.

After that, sadly, he starring as Inspector Jacques Clouseau in an ill-advised reworking of the classic comedy The Pink Panther. I can't imagine how this will be even watchable, much less worthwhile...and I love Steve Martin. Egads.

Between The Pink Panther, Looney Tunes Back in Action, Cheaper by the Dozen and Bringing Down the House...all of which are dreadful, I feel very sorry for him, and frankly find it more and more embarassing to call myself a fan. Thank god he's still writing great stuff. His second novella, The Pleasure of My Company, is just as good as Shopgirl, and Picasso at the Lapin Agile is one of the best written comedies for the stage of the past fifteen years. His essays in The New Yorker are always sharp and witty, and I thought his veering back towards drama with projects like The Spanish Prisoner and Novocaine was great, I certainly hope he goes back to that. These dumbass would-be comedies he's been cranking out of late are just plain sad. I hope they're putting enough cash in his pocket so he can not do another one for a long damn time.

My life isn't written very well.
Bowfinger...a gem!

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Yes, he's starring in Shopgirl, which he adapted from his own novella. It co-stars Claire Danes.

After that, sadly, he starring as Inspector Jacques Clouseau in an ill-advised reworking of the classic comedy The Pink Panther. I can't imagine how this will be even watchable, much less worthwhile...and I love Steve Martin. Egads.

Between The Pink Panther, Looney Tunes Back in Action, Cheaper by the Dozen and Bringing Down the House...all of which are dreadful, I feel very sorry for him, and frankly find it more and more embarassing to call myself a fan. Thank god he's still writing great stuff. His second novella, The Pleasure of My Company, is just as good as Shopgirl, and Picasso at the Lapin Agile is one of the best written comedies for the stage of the past fifteen years. His essays in The New Yorker are always sharp and witty, and I thought his veering back towards drama with projects like The Spanish Prisoner and Novocaine was great, I certainly hope he goes back to that. These dumbass would-be comedies he's been cranking out of late are just plain sad. I hope they're putting enough cash in his pocket so he can not do another one for a long damn time.
Thanks for the info, and I agree, he needs to become "himself: again...I also forgot Father of the Bride, for some reason that movie touched my heart.

I recently bought Pennies from Heaven, The Man With Two Brains, and Dead Men Dont Wear Plaid in my local videostores insane "get rid of everything good we have" sale.

I dont know how this place is managing to stay affloat. In the last year I reckon they've emptied 70% of their shelf space (everything that wasnt on dvd or in the foreign section which people probably dont even ever look at let alone rent from). That's a lot of space to fill, even if they intend to go the Blockbuster route (as I speculate) and fill it with many copies of a few bad movies.

Speaking of bad I picked up some 20 movies from them the other day for 10 bucks. Mostly crap like Cool as Ice (the vanilla ice movie), Breakin' (an 80s break dancing movie), and Thrashin' (an 80s skateboarding movie with the same plot as Breakin'), but some okay looking ones in there as well, like Romeo is Bleeding and The Underneath.

EDIT oops, better write some more about Steve Martin in this post. EDIT

I'd seen The Man With Two Brains and Dead Men Dont Wear Plaid when I was a kid so was glad to get to see them again. Man With Two Brains didnt really click with me at first but on reflection I think I'm liking it more. The bouncing glass gag was classic as well as the eloping with a brain story. Never seen Pennies before so am looking forward to watching it for the first time.

Bowfinger had a similar effect on me when I saw it a few months ago. Watching it a lot of the humor seemed too dumb or obvious or something but the more time goes by, the more I think about it and realize I'm remembering it farely fondly. Maybe that's how Steve Martin's humor works. Dumb when you watch it, funny when you think about it.

Originally Posted by gummo
gosh...i don't like Steve Martin but if i had to pick, i'd pick Bowfinger
Gosh, then thanks for contributing next to nothing to the thread. What other actors, directors and films don't you like that you can add insignificant nothings to exisitng conversations? I'll await in suspense.

Originally Posted by linespalsy
...my local videostores insane "get rid of everything good we have" sale.
Aw, man... There should be one of those around here.

Gosh, then thanks for contributing next to nothing to the thread.
You are welcome!!

[quote]What other actors, directors and films don't you like that you can add insignificant nothings to exisitng conversations? I'll await in suspense.[quote]

Calm down you insignificant nothing.

The Satchel Snatcher's on the loose
Planes and Trains and Auto's was hilarious....
as well as The Jerk.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by FrankTheBunny420
Planes and Trains and Auto's was hilarious....
as well as The Jerk.

hands down!