My Top 250 Movies

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I got a third HDMI cable thanks to someone who wasn't using theirs, and I'm using Linux on a Windows laptop, so I might just post all I can now. Too bad I can't schedule these like YouTube

RASHOMON
01-29-16
2nd time viewing. Trying to get to the truth, and it might not be possible, except subjectively. You have the trial, which is a system of it's own, and authority over you, which automatically makes the truth believed in a court of law still not the truth. Even the way the men meet together, an accident of rain, nature. Even certain characters change over a span of a half an hour, and even what they say they believe in changes. We are constantly evolving - if I would have done this review tomorrow, it would probably be a bit different. Another theme I liked was the human nature vs. traditions vs. ethics vs ego/greed. What's extra interesting for me is that I wasn't that concerned with the flashback scenes, each person's account of what took place, I was mostly interested by the three characters waiting for the rain to stop, also out of their control. Even the small event in the end, one of the last scenes is very great. An accident of birth, abandonment, a bandit who revels himself on accident, and is called a phony by his fellow bandit who is selfish, but honest. Notice the man who is losing hope with humanity goes right to the baby, the source. The other two fight over the material. One appears to have more scruples, but it seemed he was uncomfortable being who he is, and was amazed and angered by the man who acknowledges his harsh reality and doesn't shy away from greed, and that even altruism is out of self-interest.

ON THE WATERFRONT

03-14-16

Sorry for the mistake of putting this in the "50's MOFO" - that's the problem when I look a "New Posts" and then "open a new tab" and get lost.

This might be the first time I saw it while I've been a member here. When I was 17, I borrowed my mom's car to go to the mall and buy the VHS. It was nice that it came with a free Oscar VHS. I left the mall, and at the stop light, I thought I'd put on a seat belt. The next intersection as I was making a left, I got hit, totaled the car.

When I got home, my friend and next-door neighbor came over, we talked, and I said "Let's watch this movie" and he didn't want to, so I did. I LOVED it so much I saw it again, with no break. The story was great, but it's gotta be Marlon Brando's best performance, and one of the best performances period.

I know Kazan and Schulberg used this movie to defend themselves - they ratted to the anti-1st Amendment HUAC so their income wouldn't be affected, but might have backfired. Many accounts say Brando was in tears, especially after considering "Gadg" a father figure, and then turned down every opportunity for a reunion. They almost fired Coppola during The Godfather for Kazan, and Brando said "If he goes, I go" (and said the same about Pacino).

The movie is about conscience, and how a woman can change everything. I was looking at the Lists and see that MANY people here haven't saw it.. Watch it.

THE SEVENTH SEAL

04-07-15

I don't think there's any theme this film doesn't talk about. It's during the Black Plague, and how the people deal with it. Because they know death is near, each has their own way of coping. The film deals with a lot of doubt - in religion (especially by the Crusaders), the afterlife - which comes to them as being nothing. Antonius feels life is empty knowing there is nothing after death, but it's only because Death has been at his side for some time. He tries to delay his fate by playing a game of Chess, trying to find more answers, but sees more deception.

RED BEARD

02-26-15

I think I've written about this film before... Great film on the human condition, the medical profession, and the variables that exist within, like money for example.

ANATAHAN

Jim Morrison's favorite movie. I never heard of this movie until reading about his love of this movie, directed by his professor at UCLA - Joseph von Sternberg. And the entire movie is available for free on YouTube (not shit like Netflix) and it's definitely experimental, but no phoniness. Really captures human nature in a very interesting story. This movie revived that energy to go and see more movies.

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

Unfortunately, every time I mention this movie, someone has to mention violence, as if it was all that there was. I don't hear people talk about influence, behavior, karma, delinquency, existence, as well as juggling all that with competing forces - government, religion, media, big business, health care, etc.

LA GRANDE ILLUSION

11-07-15
+7 Reps

What a film. It was just on TCM. If you didn't see it, do yourself a favor.
If I had to describe this film in one word it would be "humanity"ve only 878 people on Facebook "liked" this - especially considering how much ridiculous garbage gets "liked"

I still haven't read my initial review, which is also on this thread. Probably good, don't want it to influence me. I remember the first time watching it I had waken up at about 4-5am, couldn't go back to sleep, so I decided to see this since I had got the VHS from the library. It was so grainy I couldn't read some of the titles, especially with the bad lighting. This will be the first time I can truly say how great the restoration was, thanks to TCM for showing it. The guest this month was Greg Proops, who I believe is a comedian, but he picked this film. Good on him.

I loved how the film shows the futility of war, but also of life, and our expectations and purpose. And it changes from each person of course, but if there's one common thread, it's that we want what we want.

The film does a good job distinguishing the characters, situations they're in. Though I've never been in war, I loved the amount of humanity displayed, even though the main characters are in the custody of the enemy.

Only a few silly parts considering the amount of comedic writing.

10-04-16
+4 Reps

I didn't have the same feeling as the previous four times, but it's not the film's fault. I noticed I didn't miss anything, but it's still an amazing movie. Really felt for the characters. Lots of great lines of dialogue. The acting is superb.

The futility of war, the silliness of nations, invisible lines, race, etc., basically how humans can **** up a good thing - Earth.

FIVE EASY PIECES

01-06-16
Probably the fifth time I've seen this movie. I know I didn't like this as much the first time I saw it. I put on the Director's Commentary. I had no plans on seeing this, but as I was printing out my airline tickets, I saw a cute girl right by the movie shelf so I thought of a superfluous question. I asked, "How often do they add movies to the library" and she mentioned how they don't only add new movies, and I wanted to reaffirm of my love for "older" movies. I only go to the library to print, and if there's something to watch, why not. I never saw the special features though. It's nice to see how it compares to my imagination of the movie. The only part I really disagreed with was that I found the family not condescending at all towards Rayette (Karen Black), but that while one is checking out the brother's woman, the other is at least stimulated in the opposite way to his woman. One is serious, intellectual, a bit snotty and the other is down-to-earth, honest, no pretensions, intuitive.

In the past the movie seemed a lot longer, this time it flew by. Once it got towards the end, I thought "it's already finished?" I also noticed a few times not fully listening to the commentary because I was so fixated on the movie.

I kind of identify with Robert Dupea, in that I'll always be searching, and that I don't want any attachments (wife and/or children). But I also realized that I was still "searching" even for a look, a few words with a woman I'd never met before. I could tell this librarian was almost my age, and interesting, probably didn't get into trouble, but fun to talk with. One minute I can swear up and down that I would look straight through a woman, but that's life. I went shopping too, and see the most beautiful people that I never could on TV. There was an older lady, and I tried to check her out, and noticed she didn't have any ring, and I wanted so badly to get to know her. (this is all relative to the movie, maybe that can be my contribution the reviews - digression and free association).

I was surprised to hear again that the audience cheered at the end. Any movies like this?

You mentioned cheering at the end...as I was rolling into the final scene, I was going to rate the film
, but the final scene changed my rating to

This movie destroyed me...pretty sure I rated it

The first thing I think of when I hear of this movie, are the tears.

If only I could see another movie with that kind of reaction, or half of it. Maybe one day in the future.

CHIT-CHAT ON THE NILE

10-27-18

Wow.. Someone please tell me you saw this. I haven't seen many Arabic/Persian speaking movies, but everyone I have seen has been great, and also very rule-breaking. This is based on the writings of Nobel Laureate Naguib Mahfouz - great story. The Lost Generation of Egypt with sex, drugs, and decadence during the 1967 War... PM me if you can't find it.

SHOESHINE

04-10-15

Amazing film. Children losing their innocence, also children who are sometimes innocent in certain acts, but get convicted in the eyes of whoever. The harsh realities of life, and such a great script, great acting by the kids. Again, don't wanna say too much to give anything away. You'll know what I mean when you see it.