Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

5th Rewatch...For my money, the strongest of the four Christopher Reeve Superman films, thanks to a story that finally, if temporarily, opens Lois Lane's eyes, while Superman is forced to deal with the three villains (Terrence Stamp, Sarah Douglas, Jack O'Halloran) who were imprisoned by his father in the first film. Unfortunately, these three villains do take a lot of screentime away from Gene Hackman's still richly entertaining Lex Luthor and Otis (Ned Beatty) and Miss Tessmucher (Valerie Perrine) have been reduced to glorified cameos, but Christopher Reeve once again lights up the screen as social klutz Clark Kent and the Man of Steel. If had one quibble, I've never been able to reconcile the plot twist where Superman is forced to give up his powers in order to be with Miss Lois and is warned by his mother (Sujhsannah York) that once he does this, the process is irreversible, but once he realizes he needs his powers back, he just hitchhikes back to the North Pole and his powers are restored? This film is still a lot of fun though.

1st Rewatch...This is HBO's film version of Billy Crystal's landmark one-man Broadway show that won him a Tony Award back in 2005 but wasn't brought to HBO until 2014. This warm, fall on the floor funny, and sometimes bittersweet piece of theater is an extremely loving homage to Crystal's parents, his father in particular, who he loved to make laugh. This imaginative autobiographical look at Crystal's childhood, not only provides plenty of laughs but will also have the viewer fighting the occasional tear. Crystal displays an uncanny ability to have the audience laughing their asses off and then taking them thisclose to crying and knowing exactly when to bring back the funny. Appointment viewing for Crystal fans.

2nd Rewatch...Director Keenan Ivory Wayans manages to get more laughs than I remembered in this satire of horror films, that might remind you of the work of Mel Brooks and the Zucker brothers. The screenplay is a clever melding of Scream and I Know What you did Last Summer. For me, the highlights are the perfectly executed spoof of the opening scene of Scream featuring Carmen Electra and the beauty contest scene with Shannon Elizabeth. Every second Marlon Wayans has on the screen is excruciating, but his brother, Shawn, garners majors laughs as a gay student who doesn't seem to realize that he's gay.

2bd Rewatch...Oscar winner Halle Berry won an Emmy and Golden Globe for her performance in this lavish HBO musical drama, playing the first black actress ever to be nominated for an Oscar for Outstanding Lead Actress. The film recounts the actress' troubled childhood through her tragic death. Loved that it opens with Dandridge arriving at the Oscars. Highlights for me were Dorothy's troubled wedding night with Harold Nicholas (Obba Babatunde), her audition for Carmen Jones in the office of Otto Preminger (Klaus Maria Brandauer); and her arrival at a hotel to perform but learned she was not allowed to use the restroom or the pool and, after dipping her foot in the pool, walking by it later and seeing it has been drained. The film is based on a book by Earl Mills, her longtime manager played here by Brent Spiner, but it still feels kind of "cleaned up." Love that moment when Dorothy walks onto the set of Carmen Jones to shoot "Dat's Love"...the resemblance between Berry and Dandridge is frightening.

6th Rewatch...the Oscar nominated performance by Jessica Lange as country music legend Patsy Cline and the sex on legs performance by Ed Harris as her loving but abusive husband Charlie Dick keep this film watchable. I know it's not as good as Coal Miner's Daughter, but for some reason I never get tired of rewatching this movie. Also loved Ann Wedgeworth as Patsy's mom.

THE LAST EMPEROR
(1987, Bertolucci)
The last Best Picture winner I haven't seen

"I'm not a gentleman. I'm not allowed to say what I mean. They are always telling me what to say."

The Last Emperor follows the life of Puyi (John Lone), the last emperor of China during the early 20th Century. What makes his reign and life notable is that Puyi was crowned when he was 2 years old and "ruled" only until he was 6 years old, when the waves of the 1911 Chinese Revolution ended the country's imperial system. But what can a child raised in this environment do after? How do you go from being "Lord of 10,000 Years" and "the Son of Heaven" into something "less"?

Going back and forth from his middle age years as a political prisoner to his childhood in the Forbidden City, I thought the film did a great job of exploring the state of mind of Puyi. I thought it was so interesting to see a person that never had much say in his life in terms of what to say or what to do, try to figure his life out as he grows up. It has to be quite a shock being groomed and raised to be one thing and then have that thing taken from you, and leaving you essentially with no alternatives.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

going through my collection
Romeo is Bleeding (1993) -- 3/5 It was wild seeing my first Gary Oldman where he's not Dracula, has a nice pulpy feel, but overall average. Juliette Lewis sparkles and can't help thinking she's still in the role as Malory Knox.

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2024)

Rate: 5/5

For A Lost Soldier (1992) Watched on Tubi. A drama about a relationship between a young boy and a soldier, seen through the eyes of the boy. Good performances from Maarten Smit and Andrew Kelley. The film tells the story in an effective and non-judgemental way. Whether that is a good or bad thing may depend on the viewer.

Shaolin Vs Lama - (1983)

Not much of a story, but the fight scenes are decent.

Born Invincible - (1978)

English dub is comically bad, almost bad on purpose.The story is a complete joke, but again, decent fight scenes.

Open Range (2003)

I could hardly remember watching this movie but I'm sure I did sometime, I won't forget again because it was pure class, the big showdown at the end was well worth the wait, I love how the town people's got involved and the odds massively change. Duvall and Costner shine off each other and Gambon is a fantastic Irish villain. This is last movie Costner directed and one has to ask why because it's really good!

I forgot the opening line.

By Universal Pictures Publicity, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=71354716

Oppenheimer - (2023)

Rewatch - An easy night last night, sitting back and enjoying Oppenheimer at home for the first time. No chance to delve into the Blu-Ray special features because this movie is 181 minutes long. That once would have been huge, but these days it's the norm for any big release. Not long after seeing (and being disappointed by) Napoleon, I heard Ridley Scott had a 250 minute version in the works - and I think that's the one I wanted to see to start with - it does feel rushed. Oppenheimer is perfect however, and did not disappoint at all. A wonderfully told non-linear biographical story, with a steady mix of visual beauty, aural complexity and electrifying performances. It deserves all of the accolades it has received.

9/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

YOU'RE NEXT
(2011, Wingard)

"This wasn't a random attack! Our family's being targeted."

You're Next focuses mostly on Erin (Sharni Vinson), the new girlfriend of Crispian (A.J. Bowen), as they arrive at the family's vacation home to celebrate their parents anniversary. Along for the ride are Crispian's siblings: Drake (Joe Swanberg), Felix (Nicholas Tucci), and Aimee (Amy Seimetz), with their respective partners. But just as their personal differences start to boil, all hell breaks loose as the killers start their attack.

This is one of those little films that manages to surprise you. I know I had heard good things about it but I really didn't know much about it. I thought the script from Simon Barrett and the direction from Adam Wingard have a great balance of horror and thrills with a bit of dark humor peppered in. That balance is not something that every director can find, especially in a home invasion film that still manages to pack a decent dose of scares and violence.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

That's some bad hat, Harry.
Wonka (2023)

A delightful film. Paul King is onto a winner once again after making Paddington and Paddington 2. One for all the family to enjoy.

That's some bad hat, Harry.
Beau Is Afraid (2023)

I've seen this ranked as "film of the year" on some 2023 lists but it didn't work as well as Ari Aster's previous efforts for me. I think Hereditary is a modern day masterpiece so I really appreciated the director's work but this felt confused and confusing. I've written some more thoughts on why it's definitely not my fav film of 2023.

Cat Person just too annoying for me, gave up at the therapist scene.
The original short story was a million times better than this adaptation.

1st Rewatch...I have always prided myself on being able to separate the artist's work from his personal life which made this rewatch such an unsettling experience. First of all, this unapologetic look at Richard Williams, the manipulative control freak father of Venus and Serena Williams is mesmerizing from start to finish, thanks primarily to Will Smith's groundbreaking performance in the title role. For years, Il thought Will Smith was incapable of playing anyone but Will Smith, but he proved me totally wrong here. Smith disappears completely inside this role, playing one of the most unlikable characters I have seen in decades. I was not surprised when he received his third Oscar nomination for the performance, nor when he won because he deserved it Unfortunately, Smith ruined one of Oscar's most significant wins with his actions of that night. His performance in this movie is so good that it could have opened up an entirely new career for him. I could have even seen him winning a second Oscar with the right role, but instead his foolish actions on Oscar night have banned him from the ceremony for at least a decade and probably destroyed his career. As far as I know, he has only made one film since this one and I haven't heard about anything else on the horizon for him. And as insensitive as this might sound, I was shocked that at the time this happened, Will and Jada were actually separated at the time, which I didn't know on Oscar night, which puts a whole new light on what happened for me. It's sad because he could have reinvented his career with this performance and now he's cancelled. also have to give a shout out to Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor as Richard's wife, Saniyya Sidney as Venus and Jon Bernthal as tennis coach Paul Macci. No matter what happened later, Smith deserved the Oscar he won for this film and his performance alone makes it worth watching.
Definitely will re-watch this. Smith was excellent in this.

Playing by Heart (1998)

OMG, where they really ever this young?