Should Women Priests be allowed?

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
To try and be a bit clearer:

In areas where a religion disagrees with another religion or belief-system: how do you decide who is "right" (or at least closer-to-the-truth)?

Surely the belief-system which doesn't assert its own automatic rightness is more likely to assess the available information and be reasonable about it?

Originally Posted by Golgot
Heheh, okay, yeah, let's save the bulk of this for the other thread (bler, not looking forward to the semantics side )(i agree with your first point, i was just puzzled by the second sentence is all. It didn't seem to tally)
Perhaps it was a poor example on my part, then. Glad it's cleared up now, regardless.

Alright, but taking the simple idea that one faith (i never declared which one at the beginning either ) believes itself to be the "true-est", but can of course overlap with others where they agree.....what do you think of example i tacked on to the last post?

What i DO have a problem with is when religions DISagree with another. In that example, both sides have beliefs, and both might refuse to investigate the reality of the situation coz of a belief in their own "rightness".
I think your example is the result of disagreement of any kind. It happens with or without religion. When people disbelieve in religion, more often than not they're going to find another central tenet, be it political or personal. People will always make SOMETHING their God, be it money, sex, drugs, their reputation, or their political party. For better or worse (I say better), it is clearly innate in virtually all mankind to place something at the center of their lives.

Or, as Chesterton put it: "when people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing...they believe in anything."

Also, I don't see the basis for your claim that both "refuse to investigate the reality of the situation." Ideas are misrepresented and skewed in all walks of life. You don't need religion for that.

I anticipate that your reply will claim that religion in general is more conducive to the steadfast adherence to misguided beliefs. This might be true, but even if it is, it doesn't speak to the truth of religion. Like virtually anything of significant power or usefulness, it is dangerous in the wrong hands. That doesn't, however, make it a bad thing. Just a potent thing.

As it is, the situation is more complex than that. In that particular example, the christian belief-system really doesn't encourage investigation of the matter because the matter is decided in advance. They are right and capable of doing no wrong (so they believe).
This is flat-out false. One of the core beliefs of Christianity is the fallibility of man. At no point does it teach that we are always right, and capable of doing no wrong. It teaches the exact opposite. It is God who can do no wrong. Our imperfection of interpretation and inherent biases are pretty much spelled out, however.

What you're talking about is little more than a caricature.

The native-american stance requires a type of respect that the christian one does not, which prescribes examination of the situation (to at least gauge if wrong is being done to the land - even if their might be a prediliction to perceive such things).
"Love thy neighbor as thyself." Seems pretty respectful of me.

Regarding the land: I've never interpreted "fill the earth and subdue it" to mean that we can trash the place. Just that it's here for us to make use of in productive ways. Disagreements over what is and is not acceptable use are unavoidable.

Now from my perspective (which, incidently, i disagree is contingent on one central perception of truth, which you assert again...but....other thread, other thread )....observation of the facts should be used to resolve disagreement. But if the Christian believes he's right already, why should he investigate or negotiate? He won't. It so happens the native-american stance (even if taken as being dogmatically-insistant of their rightness on their side too) involves investigating the situation.
The caricaturization continues. You make it sound as if becoming a Christian is an arbitrary choice. It isn't. Speaking for myself, becoming a Christian is a choice which requires inspection, analysis, self-addressed questions, and a heck of a lot of reading on the matter.

As I've said before, it's not so much believing the religion you choose, so much as choosing the religion you believe. And people don't choose religions which do not jibe with the same logical faculties and moral sensibilities they'd use to investigate things in the first place. The investigation you speak of and praise is present in the choosing of a religion, as well as the person's dealings afterwards.

I say, this is a central problem with faiths in general when they are overly assertive of their own automatic rightness in areas of discord. And, as it happens, i don't like the interpretation of the world being something to which we can do no wrong, which some christians walk around with. Heigh ho.
You seem to be singling out Christianity as more sure of itself than other religions. Why? Is there a piece of scripture which conveys this?

To try and be a bit clearer:

In areas where a religion disagrees with another religion or belief-system: how do you decide who is "right" (or at least closer-to-the-truth)?
The same way you do without a religion: use your head. If you conclude that the other system is clearly in the right, perhaps you've misinterpreted your own. If you're certain you haven't, then perhaps you've chosen to believe the wrong thing.

Using your critical faculties under a religious worldview is the same, fundamentally, as using them without one. I really think you're missing that.

Surely the belief-system which doesn't assert its own automatic rightness is more likely to assess the available information and be reasonable about it?
How can you teach anyone anything without asserting that it is right? Even teaching people to doubt presupposes it to be the right thing to do.

Originally Posted by Yoda
The same way you do without a religion: use your head. If you conclude that the other system is clearly in the right, perhaps you've misinterpreted your own. If you're certain you haven't, then perhaps you've chosen to believe the wrong thing.

Using your critical faculties under a religious worldview is the same, fundamentally, as using them without one. I really think you're missing that.
I respect that in your case and many others this last point is true. But i don't think all religious people operate in that way. Many dig in their heels and don't evaluate things in a very open way (and many non-believers are the same). The nature of the religion/beliefs facilitate that.

But beyond that, would you renounce your belief of Christ/God if i could prove murder can be right in a way which conflicts with the commandment and contingent interpretations? No, you're far more likely to dodge round this clash-of-"truths" through the interpretation issue. (i.e. change your interpretation, within the limitations of the bible perhaps, but not the idea that all the interpretations pertain to a one-true-god)

How can you teach anyone anything without asserting that it is right? Even teaching people to doubt presupposes it to be the right thing to do.
Not really - to teach doubt, you can just point out inconsistancies in something. (And if you do end up communicating that various systems of interpretation and "truth" can contradict yet inter-mingle and maintain a type of validity, well, so long as you admit you could be wrong about it all, you're hardly asserting or teaching "the truth" )

Argghhh, and in the interests of simplicity and brevity, that's all i'm going to say. I would love to say more

Perhaps it was a poor example on my part, then. Glad it's cleared up now, regardless.
Cool. I went over-wordy on it unhelpfully as it was

I think your example is the result of disagreement of any kind. It happens with or without religion. When people disbelieve in religion, more often than not they're going to find another central tenet, be it political or personal. People will always make SOMETHING their God, be it money, sex, drugs, their reputation, or their political party. For better or worse (I say better), it is clearly innate in virtually all mankind to place something at the center of their lives.

Or, as Chesterton put it: "when people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing...they believe in anything."
Also, I don't see the basis for your claim that both "refuse to investigate the reality of the situation." Ideas are misrepresented and skewed in all walks of life. You don't need religion for that.
Sure, whether religious or not we can fail to investigate and cling to preferred interpretations. I disagree again tho with the idea that all non-religious people find a central tenet. i think most of us find multiple ones. But if you want a central tenet from which they all spring - it's "the world"

I anticipate that your reply will claim that religion in general is more conducive to the steadfast adherence to misguided beliefs. This might be true, but even if it is, it doesn't speak to the truth of religion. Like virtually anything of significant power or usefulness, it is dangerous in the wrong hands. That doesn't, however, make it a bad thing. Just a potent thing.
Aha - see. Your going to insist the truth at the centre of your religion is the truth because it is the truth. At the end of the day, so long as you're prepared to be flexible about interpretations surrounding this, it's all cool with me. The problem is when people get too limited by the texts and prescribed habits etc. That's my major beef with religions (and yes, i therefore think they do facilitate skewed perception)

This is flat-out false. One of the core beliefs of Christianity is the fallibility of man. At no point does it teach that we are always right, and capable of doing no wrong. It teaches the exact opposite. It is God who can do no wrong. Our imperfection of interpretation and inherent biases are pretty much spelled out, however.

What you're talking about is little more than a caricature.

"Love thy neighbor as thyself." Seems pretty respectful of me.

Regarding the land: I've never interpreted "fill the earth and subdue it" to mean that we can trash the place. Just that it's here for us to make use of in productive ways. Disagreements over what is and is not acceptable use are unavoidable.
Ahh, that "subdue" term is one that troubles me. I've seen you say in posts from about 2 years ago that you don't believe humans could have a huge impact on god's creation. That's the sort of attitude i'm talking about, which stems from religious appreciations, when i suggest certain faiths may not investigate a problem coz they don't think it could happen.

The caricaturization continues. You make it sound as if becoming a Christian is an arbitrary choice. It isn't. Speaking for myself, becoming a Christian is a choice which requires inspection, analysis, self-addressed questions, and a heck of a lot of reading on the matter.

As I've said before, it's not so much believing the religion you choose, so much as choosing the religion you believe. And people don't choose religions which do not jibe with the same logical faculties and moral sensibilities they'd use to investigate things in the first place. The investigation you speak of and praise is present in the choosing of a religion, as well as the person's dealings afterwards.
You may choose to believe that (), but from what i can see, even amongst born-again-christians, the time spent in formative years surround by that centralised beliefs structure limits choice, in the sense that some powerfully instinctive/unconscious side of you believes god exists etc, in the form described.

You seem to be singling out Christianity as more sure of itself than other religions. Why? Is there a piece of scripture which conveys this?
I've been singling out Christianity in the GM example given mainly because of the potential for the "subdue" thing etc to be badly interpreted etc. And respect for the earth is something very close to my heart. I didn't mean to convay that christianity was more sure of itself in terms of core-belief. All religions are contingent on the centralised-beliefs-set-up, but i do worry about the simple good-bad divisions in all monotheistic religions - i think they are more likely to extend into a rather simplified perception of good-n-bad, yes. The slightly chaotic categorisations of hindusim, native-american-beliefs (as i vaguely understand them), and buddism do seem to offer a less simply-segregated belief-structure. My personal belief (taken from observation of the world, as far as i can tell) is that there is good and bad in all, and my feeling is that this is a healthier perception, which is less likely to lead to entrenched positions of the i'm-obviously-right, this-therefore-must-be-wrong variety.

Ultimately i think we have to generate our own "truth", via promptings from the wealth of human history surrounding us. These truths can't be imparted through text, or even observation, alone. We have to experience these things (and hopefully not have to deal with too rigid a belief structure while trying to reconcile them with our inner worlds)

Laugh i love religious debates here, its all so even! My question Chris is do YOU believe women preists should be allowed?

I'm busy as all get-out, but since Naisy was nice enough to ask twice...

Originally Posted by Naisy
I am really really interested in what Chris has to say on the topic, because as far as I look at it, im all for female priests BUT the bible forbids its (i believe dont quote me its just popular opinion that the bible forbids women in a position of power)....oh please Chris reply, oh please reply we havent had a religious debate for sooo long im s-s-s-uffering withdrawls
The Bible doesn't really say it. I believe St. Paul says something about women not having power over men, but as there are plenty of female Priests, obviously it's far from definitive just what that means. I think this is another case of people confusing Christians with Christianity.

Swashbuckler Extraordinaire
Back to the question on hand, Should women Priests be allowed?

Only if they're hot

-When in doubt, Kill it

Didn't see it.
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
So in other words you think what my Native American elders taught me was false? That I should not treat others with love, respect, and kindness… nor should I be willing to share or sacrifice all that I have for another whose need is greater… nor should I take full responsibilities for my actions… nor should I care for the earth as the Mother because she provides that which I need to survive and that I should never take more then I actually need… nor should I believe the Great Father provides for the needs of all his children and not just a chosen few?
Caitlyn, when I say that other religions are false, I mean that they are false from the standpoint that they reject the teaching that Jesus Christ died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins and rose from the dead to purchase a place for us in heaven. The other religions teach what we are supposed to do to get into heaven, while Christianity teaches what Christ has already done to get us into heaven. It is "what I have to do" versus "what was done for me."

Christianity, unlike other religions, teaches that we are all sinners and incapable of earning a place in heaven. The only way we can get there is to confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead (Romans 10:9-10).

Any religion that rejects this teaching or doesn't address it at all is false to a Christian who believes that the Bible is true.

Didn't see it.
Here is what the Bible says:
1 Timothy 3:1-13
3:1 It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do. 2 An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, uncontentious, free from the love of money. 4 He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity 5(but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?); 6 and not a new convert, lest he become conceited and fall into the condemnation incurred by the devil. 7 And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he may not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. 8 Deacons likewise must be men of dignity, not double-tongued, or addicted to much wine or fond of sordid gain, 9 but holding to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 And let these also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons if they are beyond reproach. 11 Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things. 12 Let deacons be husbands of only one wife, and good managers of their children and their own households. 13 For those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves a high standing and great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.
NAS
"Overseer" is also interpreted as "Bishop," "Pastor," and "Elder."
Titus 1:5-9
5 For this reason I left you in Crete, that you might set in order what remains, and appoint elders in every city as I directed you, 6 namely, if any man be above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion. 7 For the overseer must be above reproach as God's steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain, 8 but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled, 9 holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, that he may be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict.
NAS

If you're speaking of women becoming Catholic Priests then no they should not be and will never be allowed to be. The Church is not a democracy for the worldly views of men to leak over into Her.

Bruce Campbell Groupie
Ok I'll add my comments to this debate, should women be priest? Yes if they can do the job, after all, they can't do any worse a job than the male priests. But then again, I'm not religious, so I guess I don't really care either way.

Originally Posted by Escape
If you're speaking of women becoming Catholic Priests then no they should not be and will never be allowed to be. The Church is not a democracy for the worldly views of men to leak over into Her.
Who made the Church if not worldly men with views?

Who has altered the Church over the years if not wordly men with views?

"Women have weak memories, are undisciplined, impulsive and dangerous when given authority over anything." - Catholic Church's edict against women.

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

In the Beginning...
"Women have weak memories, are undisciplined, impulsive and dangerous when given authority over anything." - Catholic Church's edict against women.

Sounds like male priests.

Okay, not all male priests...

Oh well, at least they didn't say "and were made from a rib". Maybe that's some sort of advancement

That is just astounding.

Originally Posted by knoxville
Ok I'll add my comments to this debate, should women be priest? Yes if they can do the job, after all, they can't do any worse a job than the male priests. But then again, I'm not religious, so I guess I don't really care either way.
Actually, the male priest are supposed to represent Christ on earth. Christ was a male and can only be represented through a male.

Who made the Church if not worldly men with views?

Who has altered the Church over the years if not wordly men with views?
Golgot, if you ask me then I have to say Christ made the Church. And the Church cannot change Dogmas, just develop them.

I'm Catholic and If you say things like this then you better be able to back them up.

Originally Posted by Escape
I'm Catholic and If you say things like this then you better be able to back them up.
Ask your Priest... I got the information from one here.

Ask your Priest... I got the information from one here.
Really? Now who's being judgmental. Quite disappointed in you Caitlyn. Such hostility and prejudece towards the Church.