Favorite character actor/actress thread

Tools    

This is another idea from another forum that I liked, so I thought, "Why not us?" So here's one of mine:

William Fichtner

William Fichtner had a few minor roles in previous films, but was given his first chance at some real screen time in Steven Soderbergh's film The Underneath. In that role, he was able to show his versatility by switching between quiet contemplation and all out rage. A few more small roles came along until Albino Alligator was released in 96. Again given a role of a freaked out violent individual, he proves that he can play powerful men in extreme circumstances. The next year, he landed the role as the blind sympathetic friend to Jodie Foster in Contact. This role is what helped him escape the possible typecasting that he almost fell into. Armageddon helped make him recognizable to a larger audience, but it was his role as the worthless and diabolical husband in Drowning Mona that helped prove, once again, that he was one of the best character actors working in Hollywood. The roles just kept getting better and better after that, beginning with Passion of the Mind playing the romantic lead opposite Demi Moore. Fichtner is an excellent character actor that deserves more recognition that he gets. I hope that someday he will get a break like Chris Cooper did with Adaptation. He's one of my personal favorites.

Notable roles:

As the World Turns - Josh Snyder/Rod Landry (1987-1993)
Underneath - Tommy Dundee (1995)
Virtuosity - Wallace (1995)
Strange Days -Dwayne Engelman (1995)
Heat -Roger Van Zant (1995)
Albino Alligator - Law (1996)
Contact - Kent Clark (1997)
Switchback -Chief Jack McGinnis (1997)
Armageddon -Colonel William Sharp (1998)
Go - Burke (1999)
The Settlement - Jerry (1999)
Drowning Mona - Phil Dearly (2000)
Passion of Mind - Aaron Reilly (2000)
The Perfect Storm - Sully (2000)
Pearl Harbor - Danny's Father (2001)
Black Hawk Down - SFC. Jeff Sanderson (2001)
Equilibrium - Jurgen(2002)

Filming: Mr. and Mrs. Smith with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Put me in your pocket...
Another nice thread Bri.

Jennifer Coolidge
I first took notice of her in Legally Blonde as the loveable manicurist that befriends Elle and learns the ‘bend and snap’to get her man. Since then, I’ve seen and loved her in A Mighty Wind(very small part, but she’s a scene stealer), and Best in Show. I’ve taken a shine to this woman...she’s a hoot. I will look forward to seeing her in future movies.

This list is copy and pasted from IMDB....

Currently Filming...
Robots (2005) .... (voice)
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004) .... White Faced Woman #1
A Cinderella Story (2004) (post-production) .... Nora

Notable Roles:
American Wedding (2003) .... Stifler's Mom
Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde (2003) .... Paulette
A Mighty Wind (2003) .... Amber Cole
Stage On Screen: The Women (2002) (TV) .... Edith Potter/Herself
"Sketch Pad" (2001) TV Series .... The Groundlings
American Pie 2 (2001) .... Stifler's Mom
Legally Blonde (2001) .... Paulette Bonafonté
Pootie Tang (2001) .... Ireenie
Down to Earth (2001) .... Mrs. Wellington
Best in Show (2000) .... Sherri Ann Ward Cabot
American Pie (1999) .... Stifler's Mom
A Night at the Roxbury (1998) .... Hottie Cop
Trial and Error (1997) .... Jacqueline 'Jackie' Turreau
"She TV" (1994) TV Series .... Skit Characters
Seinfeld (1993) TV Series....a masseuse who won't offer her professional services to boyfriend Jerry.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	JenniferCoolidge.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	2654   Click image for larger version

Name:	53m.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	2655  

I have to say Angline Jolieif only because, I think she was meant for her Tomb Raider's character..she is extremely believeable and I love her kick ass stunts. She seems to be a no frills actress and has something of a bad attidute with style karma. I think she is great.

A system of cells interlinked
Brad Dourif

Brad Dourif always seems to be able to pull off creepy. From the wacky exterminator in Graveyard Shift, to Grima Wormtounge in LotR, to the Gemini killer in Exorcist III, I am always happy to see Mr. Dourif grace the screen. His face is extremely expressive, and his acting ability is stellar. He has a few clunkers under his belt, but he has more than made up for it in the following roles:

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The (2002) .... Grima Wormtongue

Alien: Resurrection (1997) .... Dr. Gediman

Graveyard Shift (1990) .... Tucker Cleveland/The Exterminator

Exorcist III, The (1990) .... The Gemini Killer/James Venamun

Mississippi Burning (1988) .... Deputy Clinton Pell

Blue Velvet (1986) .... Raymond

Dune (1984) .... Piter De Vries

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) .... Billy Bibbit
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	twotowersteaser.jpg
Views:	1976
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	2664  

Gray Oldman

- lack of effort, I know

Angelina Jolie and Gary Oldman are stars, this is for the people who are second fiddle.

Oldman made it to stardom from all the various characters he can/has played, he is a character actor :P

But, for the sake of the topic, allow me to take back my Gary Oldman post and replace him with :

John Turturro, does he count, or is he too well known now?

Originally Posted by Philmster
Oldman made it to stardom from all the various characters he can/has played, he is a character actor :P

But, for the sake of the topic, allow me to take back my Gary Oldman post and replace him with :

John Turturro, does he count, or is he too well known now?
Actually, I shouldn't have said anything. I'm just glad you responded. I love both these guys, have you seen Barton Fink?

Not yet, Im desperate to see it, but its so hard to find for rental in the UK, and I don't know if I want to splash out extra moolah on a film I haven't seen yet. I don't even think it is released in the UK...would have to import it via ebay or playusa.com

Stormare and Buscemi are two other great character actors,

I don't need what you ain't got.
Favorite actor? Where's Jack Nicholson??? I've yet to see a film that I didn't enjoy his performance in. Sometimes the film itself sucked, but his acting is always impeccable.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Slayer
Favorite actor? Where's Jack Nicholson??? I've yet to see a film that I didn't enjoy his performance in. Sometimes the film itself sucked, but his acting is always impeccable.
Welcome to the forum Slayer. Although I agree Jack Nicholson is a wonderful actor...

...Brian (LordSlaytan) pointed out a few posts above...."this is for the people who are second fiddle." I believe this is to appreciate the many character/supporting actors that don't get the attention/recognition the big stars get. There are already few threads started for favorite actor/actress.

Here's a couple more I like.....

Carol Kane
She unique, lovable and very funny. I loved her in both Scrooged and The Princess Bride and I would love to see her in another hit movie.

Notable Roles
The Office Party (2000) .... Linda
Scrooged (1988) .... Ghost of Christmas Present
The Princess Bride (1987) .... Valerie
Transylvania 6-5000 (1985) .... Lupi
"Taxi" (1978) TV Series .... Simka Dahblitz-Gravas (1981-1983)
The Muppet Movie (1979) .... Myth
The World's Greatest Lover (1977) .... Annie
Valentino (1977) .... Fatty's Girlfriend
Annie Hall(1977) .... Allison Portchnik
Harry and Walter Go to New York (1976) .... Florence
Dog Day Afternoon (1975) .... Jenny

Also........

George Sanders
I love the tone of his voice. I first saw him in All About Eve as Addison DeWitt...I believe he won an oscar for best supporting actor for that role. He plays a great snob and cad. His voice was also perfect for Shere Khan in Disney's Jungle Book.

Notable Roles
The Jungle Book (1967) (voice) .... Shere Khan
Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders (1965) .... The Banker
A Shot in the Dark (1964) .... Benjamin Ballon
Viaggio in Italia (1953) .... Alexander 'Alex' Joyce
Ivanhoe (1952) .... Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert
All About Eve (1950) .... Addison DeWitt
Samson and Delilah (1949) .... The Saran of Gaza
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947) .... Miles Fairley
The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945) .... Lord Henry Wotton
The Black Swan (1942) .... Captain Billy Leech
Rebecca (1940) .... Jack Favell

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Slayer

This thread is for character actors, not just actors in general, and I don't see Nicholson as a character actor. Slay, ummmm Slaytan made another thread for favorites general actors somewhere on the site as well....

_S

I believe this is also a favorites thread....

Olympia Dukakis

I first noticed Olympia in Norman Jewison’s Moonstruck, and I liked her immediately, but it wasn’t until I saw Steel Magnolias when I knew I adored her. Her role as the smart and sassy Clairee Belcher, best friend of Shirley MacLaine’s Ouiser Boudreaux, was a perfect fit for her wonderful style. A lot had to do with the excellent dialogue written for the film, but I can’t imagine anyone who could have delivered the lines so perfectly. Here are a few that make me laugh: “Ouiser could never stay mad at me; she worships the quicksand I walk on.” “Ouiser, I'd recognize this penmanship anywhere. You have the handwritin' of a serial killer.” “Ouiser, you sound almost chipper. What happened today? You run over a small child or something?” Sorry, I couldn’t resist throwing a few in here. Another film that fit her perfectly is The Cemetary Club. Perhaps it's best when she works with the wonderful Shirley MacLaine, because it seems to bring out the best in her.

Not known for starring in hardly any films, Olympia Dukakis has still left her mark in contemporary cinema. No matter what movie she works in, she leaves an indelible mark that is not easily forgotten. For that reason, she is one of my favorite character actors.

Notable Roles:

Search for Tomorrow - Dr. Barbara Moreno (1983)
Moonstruck - Rose Castorini (1987)
Working Girl - Personnel Director (1988)
Look Who's Talking - Rosie (1989)
Dad - Bette Tremont (1989)
Steel Magnolias - Clairee Belcher (1989)
Look Who's Talking Too - Rosie (1990)
Over the Hill - Alma Harris (1992)
The Cemetery Club - Doris Silverman (1993)
Look Who's Talking Now - Rosie (1993)
Digger - Bea (1993)
Mr. Holland's Opus - Principal Ellen Jacobs (1995)
Mother - Mrs. Jay (1996)
Picture Perfect - Rita Mosley (1997)
Never Too Late - Rose (1997)
Jane Austen's Mafia! - Sophia (1998)
The Intended - Erina (2002)
Charlie's War - Charlie (2003)

Filming: The Great New Wonderful and 3 Needles.

I must become Caligari..!

John Goodman

Probley best know as Dan from the TV show "Rossanne, John has since become a fantastic "BIT" actor. The films he is in are often not the best but he always seems to shine. He is at hios best when beeing directed by the Coens.

Best Performances
Barton Fink
Hudsucker Proxy
The Borrowers
The Big Lebowski
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Monsters, Inc
Dirty Deeds
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

Tom Hanks

He can play anything. Just look at Philadelphia, Forest Gump, A League Of Their Own and Big, just to name a few.

Originally Posted by xmoviexloverx
Tom Hanks

He can play anything. Just look at Philadelphia, Forest Gump, A League Of Their Own and Big, just to name a few.
This is a character actor or 'not an A-list' actor thread, not big time star thread. Thanks anyway.

Yeah, but a "character actor" is a person who can play any character, because he changes himself for the role. It doesn't mean not an A-List actor. If that is what you wanted for the board then I take my post back, sorry I misunderstood.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
This is a character actor or 'not an A-list' actor thread, not big time star thread. Thanks anyway.

You're absolutely right and I didn't mean for you to take your post back. When I made the thread, I should have been more plain.

Bruce Campbell

To me his prescence just makes the movie. Most of the movies he's been in wouldn't do sh** for me if he wasn't in them. I'd really like to see him get more [good] roles.

Most Notable Roles:
  • Bubba Ho-tep (2002) .... Elvis Presley/Sebastian Haff
  • Adventures of Brisco County Jr., The (1993) TV Series .... Brisco County Jr.
  • Army of Darkness (1993) .... Ash
  • Evil Dead II (1987) .... Ash
  • Evil Dead, The (1981) .... Ash

Steve Buscemi

• Big Fish (2003)
• Ghost World (2001)
• Fargo (1996)
• Airheads (1994)
• Pulp Fiction (1994)
• Ed & His Dead Mother (1993)
• Reservoir Dogs (1992)