The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. Both are fine movies where I respect their status as classics but don't have any particularly strong feelings for them. I guess if I had to pick which one I preferred I would go with Amelie.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence

Modern Times was my #13. Needless to repeat that I've seen all Chaplin's classics a dozen times through the years.

---

Amélie - well, I've decided not to consider this film for the comedy list. It is amusing but not a comic work. It was my #3 for the 2000's countdown.
I think, it became a cult. Saw it in the theater when it came out and numerous re-watches since then. Own it on a DVD.

Top 100 seen 26/62.
(seen one pointers • 4/42)
--
My list:
1. The Gold Rush (1925) [#83.]
5. The Kid (1921) [#88.]
7. One, Two, Three (1961) [#85.]
13. Modern Times (1936) [#39.]

This is the first time in awhile that I've seen both the films revealed. Modern Times wasn't on my list, and I would never vote for Amélie unless it was for a "Top 100 Films People Love But You Hate Countdown" or something. It's a very pretty film, but I don't have anything else nice to say about it.

I watched Dumb and Dumber a few times as a kid, but not once since then. I wonder what it would be like to revisit it now after so long. My room mate and I rewatched Ace Ventura a couple years ago, and ever since then I've been wary of revisiting any Jim Carrey film I seemingly liked as a child. Borat is a film I've seen parts of, but never had any interest in watching.

I've seen Clue, but it was awhile ago and I don't remember having any strong opinions on it. I remember my mom renting Being John Malkovich and hating it, so I've avoided it all these years, but we don't exactly have the same tastes in film, especially comedy, so I don't know why I haven't watched it myself. What people have written about it here makes it seem quite interesting.

Don't really have anything to say about Heathers or Harold and Maude as I haven't seen either of them. When I saw the name for some reason I thought Harold and Maude was that film about Maud Lewis, but apparently that was called Maudie haha.

Seen: 37/62

My List: 5
04. Evil Dead II (1987) - #93
06. Brazil (1985) - #47
07. The Great Dictator (1940) - #50
14. Clerks (1994) - #64
21. Tropic Thunder (2008) - #58

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Amelie is a gorgeous souffle of a romantic comedy, overflowing with visual and verbal humor as well as a fair share of surrealism. Some might find it too dense for something so light, but it's definitely able to produce non-stop smiles. If you don't understand French, you'll have to watch the beginning three or four times to even understand what's going on. That's how fast the editing, narration and dialogue are moving.

In Modern Times, Chaplin uses even more sound effects, dialogue, and even sings a nonsense song, but most people still see this as a silent film, even with his classic song "Smile" on the soundtrack. Modern Times is both a social and political satire and shows Chaplin heading in the logical direction of making his next film and first "true" talkie, The Great Dictator, which tackles the Nazis headlong. Modern Times may actually seem the most "modern" of Chaplin's films. It still discusses valid points, and when I showed it to my class, they encouragingly found it relevant to their lives and funny too!

Amelie is definitely charming but I never understood the overwhelming love for it.

Ooooo I haven’t seen Modern Times. I’ll have to fix that.

I have not seen Amelie and Modern Times

1. 80% - Might not make it but got faith in it to still show up
2. 80% - Might not but hope so
3. 80% - Just maybe
4. 80% - Just maybe
5. 100% - This movie has to make it, if not there's something really wrong here
6. 75% - Just maybe
7. 75% - Just maybe
8. The Hangover (2009)
9. Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982)
10. Dumb and Dumber (1994)
11. Step Brothers (2008)
12. Tropic Thunder (2008)
13. 75% - Just Maybe
14. 100% - This movie has to make it, if not there's something really wrong here
15. 100% - This movie has to make it, if not there's something really wrong here
16. 50% - I don't think it's gonna happened
17. Mean Girls (2004)
18. 75% - Just Maybe
19. 75% - Just Maybe
20. 50% - I don't think this will make it
21. Happy Gilmore (1996)
22. 75%- Just maybe
23. 80% - Just maybe
24. 50% - I don't think this will make it
25. 75% - Just maybe

Easy A (not one of my ballots) - 100% - Make the list! Make the list! Make the list!
Go Woodchucks!!!

A scene from the Easy A movie for those that haven't seen it

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I’ve seen both but don’t like either. I just don’t find Chaplin funny and Amelie the character is creepy and unethical.
We agree on 2 for a change. Although I like Chaplin as a whole, I didn't connect with Modern Times at the time

I have not seen Amelie and Modern Times

16. 50% - I don't think it's gonna happened
20. 50% - I don't think this will make it
24. 50% - I don't think this will make it

I don't know. It sounds like all of them have a 50/50 shot of making it. Sounds like 1-2 of them probably should.

Easy A (not one of my ballots) - 100% - Make the list! Make the list! Make the list!
Go Woodchucks!!!

A scene from the Easy A movie for those that haven't seen it

Just wondering, how old were you when Easy A came out?

I don't know. It sounds like all of them have a 50/50 shot of making it. Sounds like 1-2 of them probably should.

Just wondering, how old were you when Easy A came out?
I was 22 years old when it came out and loved the movie. I highly doubt this will make the list though. Just rooting for it since Clueless and Mean Girls made the list.

I was 22 years old when it came out and loved the movie. I highly doubt this will make the list though. Just rooting for it since Clueless and Mean Girls made the list.
You didn't vote for it, so it won't make it:- self fulfilling prophecy.

You didn't vote for it, so it won't make it:- self fulfilling prophecy.
Didn't vote for it because I figured that it wouldn't make it, I did the same to clueless when not voting for it and look what happened it made it lol, Mean Girls made it so luckily I voted for it.

I saw Amélie for the first time back in 2017, and this is a bit of what I wrote:

"Amélie never went past its "cuteness" for me. For all its charm, I found little depth to it and not much to dig at. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. "
As for Modern Times, that's another one I watched for the first time a couple of years ago. Liked it quite a bit, but didn't make my ballot.

Seen: 47/62

My ballot:  

I hold both Modern Times and The Great Dictator in extremely high regard, but I went with Modern Times because it's a bit more re-watchable, and of course its message still resonates eighty some years later. I had it at #13. I like Amelie and have watched it a few times, though not recently, but I never really considered it.

My List:
4. Playtime (#48)
8. Being John Malkovich (#44)
13. Modern Times (#39)
21. One, Two, Three (#85)
22. Beetlejuice (#78)
24. Sullivan's Travels (#100)

Despite its politicizing, and mixed reviews at the time, Modern Times is likely in Chaplin's top 3 films. It's also the only film in which The Tramp speaks. It's probably my favorite of his, although I'm a firm B. Keaton fan.

7 people voted for Amelie, so who are they? Don't be shy

*I seriously considered Amelie but went with older classic comedies that I knew needed my help to make the countdown.

7 people voted for Amelie, so who are they? Don't be shy

*I seriously considered Amelie but went with older classic comedies that I knew needed my help to make the countdown.
Stuck with the older classic comedies to play it safe I see how it is

Modern Times: I think The Gold Rush was the first Chaplin I ever saw, and while the roll dance was an indelible moment for me, I think it was Modern Times where the real obsession with this guy began. I would watch this over and over, and somehow an actor in a film from silent times, who I could only assume was already dead and who lived a kind of life that had absolutely no relation to me, spoke to me. Which really was his genius above everything else. As brilliant as Keaton was, Chaplin stepped into the room with you and embodied all of the complicated emotions involved in being human. He was as much an eternal trouble maker as he was the giant beating heart of cinema, probably the man above all others who showed us how deep a movie could strike. How much it knew us in our troubles and our good times. This is obviously a great movie (all of his movies are). And while this one isn't my favorite (if I had included any, it would have been City Lights) it has the funniest moment in any of his films. I will never not delight over him being molested by the feeding machine, then every so gently having it wipe off his mouth between each new defilement.

Beautifully put Crummy!

I haven't seen Modern times from beginning to end. But I have seen many of its set pieces. I don't know why I have never seen it. It probably just never came my way in its entirety.
I love Amelie. It certainly is a comedy. Not a laugh out loud comedy but full of gentle whimsy and great charm. It is not on my ballot.