Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

6th Rewatch...This movie is silly, pointless, and defies logic at every turn, but it still makes me laugh and is one the guiltiest of my guilty pleasures.

1st Rewatch...John Cassavetes and Gene Rowlands created their masterpiece with this heartbreaking drama about a housewife and mother in denial about her mental health issues. The scene where Myrtle serves dinner to her husband's co-workers and the scene where she's standing in the middle of traffic waiting for her children's school bus are among the most cringe-worthy thing I have ever seen in a movie. Rowlands was robbed of an Oscar for this film, though she did win a Golden Globe. Not an easy watch, but if you've got the stomach for it.
Greatest performance I've ever seen by an actress.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Oppenheimer (2023)

Ugh, the favorite of the orcanised populace Nolan strikes again with this mediocre cartel commission. People, skip this rubbish, Please!
I've hardly stood half of this three-hour crap.

I forgot the opening line.

By https://www.apple.com/tv-pr/originals/napoleon/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=74312765

Napoleon - (2023)

Well, that was a very unexciting shade of ordinary. Ridley Scott's Napoleon spreads itself way, way too thin - and as such we don't get a really interesting insight into anything. It's a quick succession of battles and events in Napoleon Bonaparte's life from storming the castle at Toulon until his exile on Saint Helena - and we lose every time one of these events is rushed through without much orienting, penetrating discernment, or familiarization. What is the point of this movie's existence? It's the bare bones. One thing that did work for me though - Joaquin Phoenix is good. We can see the boy inside of the man, and Phoenix really seems to have worked out who Napoleon was inside and out. A shame then that his performance is in service to a film that will be forgotten over time. The Toulon battle felt most real, and promised more than the movie ended up delivering. After that, things were rote (although that ambush on the ice was cool - which is way the trailers fixated on it.) His relationship with Joséphine - that gets very basic points across. Napoleon was a poor lover, and tried to assert his power over her, but what counted in the end was a kind of sincere friendship that grew from a volatile marriage. That's what I got - I'm no Napoleon expert. Actors and effects do their job here, but David Scarpa and Ridley Scott would have done better to focus on specifics to probe deeper - and only have to look at Oppenheimer to see how that's done. Racing through one event after the other in chronological order is unimaginative and serves no real purpose - you'd get just as much from browsing Wikipedia.

6/10

By https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051077/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28793358

The Three Faces of Eve - (1957)

Had no idea about this before watching it so imagine my surprise that we're dealing with one of the earliest films ever made about multiple personality disorder. At first Eve White's (an Oscar-winning Joanne Woodward) husband, Ralph (David Wayne) and doctor, Curtis Luther (Lee J. Cobb) think she's faking - but after a certain amount of time it becomes apparent that when shy, reserved Eve White turns into promiscuous, outgoing Eve Black, it's real. I wasn't wholly on this film's wavelength - but seeing it's ending and listening to some commentary had me thinking about the life of the woman this was based on : Christine Costner Sizemore, and the book written about her. Interesting subject, and fledgling film about psychological trauma, mental illness and a host of other hushed up subjects of the 1950s. Hollywood had just fastened on a set of training wheels - so it's wobbly, but interesting in how it approaches certain matters. Joanne Woodward's task was gargantuan.

6/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

The Mighty Celt (2005)

Story set in Northern Ireland about a lad that is living in Belfast midst Post Good Friday agreement times. He helps out at a Greyhound "kennels" for want of a better word as they are used for racing so basically they are "stock". Once they start losing they are not worth their "keep" and are despatched with accordingly. The lad puts his heart and soul into The Mighty Celt dog but it is a cruel "sport" The acting is excellent (Robert Carlisle, Gillian Anderson, Ken Stott) and I was surprised to see the lad that played Donal is now a boxer as he is great here. Having a sighthound (Lurcher) some bits were quite hard to watch but it was honest about this barbaric practice.

1st Rewatch...the luminous performance by Oscar winner Julianne Moore playing a lonely divorcee looking for romance and purpose in her life makes this film worth a look.

1st Rewatch...Unfortunately, David Spade's execution of his premise doesn't really work. Spade plays a former child star trying to reignite his career with a part in Rob Reiner's latest film, who tells him he's wrong for the part because he never had a real childhood, so he pays a troubled middle class family $20,000 to "adopt" him and teach him about being part of a family. The film opens strong with Dickie and his poker paying buddies who include Barry Williams, Dustin diamond, Leif Garrett, and Danny Bonaduce and it closes strong with a plausible happy ending and a hilarious parody of "We are the World" featuring over 30 former child stars, but everything in between is pretty stupid.

2nd Rewatch...this heart-stopping drama about a lower class Asian family going to work for a wealthy Asian family and how a terrible secret eventually tears both families apart was the first foreign language film to win the Oscar for Best Picture and five other awards is a motion picture experience unlike anything I have ever seen. Just like the first two viewings, this third viewing left me paralyzed.

8th Rewatch...Having watched this film so many times and still finding it wonderfully entertaining, I found myself focusing on little unanswered questions that have nagged at me since my first watch like 1) How did the terminator get the number for The Tech Noir or 2) Why did it take the police so long to get to The tech Noir? or 3) How was the terminator able to get out of that police car and get a hotel room where he had all the tools handy to repair himself? 4) What kind of factory was that where the climax of the film took place? 5) If Sara Conner was the Terminator's only target, why did so many innocent people have to die and most important of all 6) How much did Nike have to pay James Cameron to have Reese wear their kicks in the department store scene?

5th Rewatch...the late Elizabeth Montgomery earned a seventh Emmy nomination for her bone-chilling performance in this 1975 ABC TV movie playing the legendary alleged ax murderess who was acquitted of murdering her parents in the late 1800's. Montgomery almost buried all images of Samantha Stephens in this chilling blend of fact and speculation which offers its own theory regarding Borden's possible guilt.

Godzilla Minus 1

9 out of 10

This movie took me completely by surprise. It focuses far more on human characters than any other Godzilla movie I've seen, but still has enough action to please the Kaiju fans.

They went a little cheap on the CGI, but more than make up for it with amazing dramatic performances. This is a heavy, emotional movie about PTSD, survivor's guilt, and people realizing that their government isn't going to save them, and that they have to work together to save themselves. It's also a surprisingly effective anti-war movie, simply by showing its real costs.

Not just the best Godzilla movie, but the best Kaiju movie I've ever seen.

Yeah, not the best work of anyone involved. But I remember some lines getting me to laugh. It's in the same part of my brain as "Spy Hard" and "Wrongfully Accused".

Sudden Death (1995)

This really marks the end of JCVD's golden era and is probably the movie of his which has aged best.. after this is a steady decline into imminently forgettable fare. It's "Die Hard" with JCVD in an ice hockey stadium is what it is and it's alright.