Pets

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
?Anyone else following Crufts? Friends on fb who are breeders and exhibitors from around the world have gone to compete and are sending through photos. I think it's the first (maybe 2nd) time for jack russells because the english kennel council wouldnt recognise them as the breed standard was developed in australi.

I've read that labs and pits are two of the healthiest breeds, and that mutts are healthier than purebreeds, and he's all, three, so apparently he's going to live forever.

I wasnt going to say anything for fear of coming across as a snotty, snooty purebred fancier (I love mongrels equally...hell, I AM a mongrel of mixed heritage) but this is a fallacy started by Don Burke, a celebrity GARDENER here in Aus (the guy wouldnt know a bush from a tree) who had a huge legal battle with our kennel club because they wouldnt recognise his designer mutt so he has spent years trashing purebreds, and he loves throwing around 'hybrid vigor' to back himself up. Dogs are mammals, not freaking plants. I loathe that arrogant tool - more on him later. And a UK nutbag 'animal rights' activist who made a doco about ill purebreds at Crufts, and used dogs not even in the dog show as examples. She came onto the aussie purebred forum I told you about, Yods, and got completely annihilated. That was fun.

Saying that, however, it;s great your dog is healthy. And beautiful.

I dont know what it's like in USA but here a lot of genetic testing is done and results given to buyers in their puppy package. Selling a defective 'product' here, which is how they're seen in the eyes of the law, can get very pricey for registered breeders, but not the ass hat backyard breeders and puppy farmers because they dont register with the canine council so there is no fall back. I had my show dogs hip and knee xrayed in the unlikely event I would ever breed them, but I retired them and had their bits fixed, and never bothered sitting the exam to become a registered breeder. Too much crap to pick up, too hard to sell the puppies, didnt want to deal with tools wanting to buy - long story, and got sick of the bitchy show world. My jack breeder was my mentor and when she died I lost heart.

Herein endeth the lecture. Getting off my dog geek high horsey.

I'm not sure what you mean by "registered breeder" and I don't know how things are done in Austrailia, but here in the U.S. there are no legal qualifications you have to have to be a breeder (except perhaps for some local laws in certain areas). Nor is it difficult to get purebred dogs registered with the American Kennel Club. Some breeders choose to get their dogs certified through the Orthopedic Foundation For Animals against things like hip and elbow displaysia, but not all of them bother to do it and - again, speaking from personal experience dealing with breeders at my job - some of them will breed their dogs regardless of OFA's findings and will simply omit those findings from the information they provide to buyers.

Regardless, there are certain hereditary genetic traits that are linked to specific breeds and all purebreds are inbred to some degree (that's how you create a breed). So while having a mixed breed dog is no guarantee against hereditary problems, it does decrease the likelihood by increasing the diversity of the gene pool that created the dog.

HELL no! NEVER want to meet a feral cat in an alley! I've had two cats during my childhood and when those things are pssed off they attack, bite and claw like hell! They've had me bleeding before...and those are just HOUSE cats! I can only imagine what a feral cat would do. Maybe they'd act like the cats in that one horror movie: "Strays". In that movie, a family's house is invaded by feral cats. Dozens of them.

I grew up with cats and know better than to pss one off. Those suckers may be small but they're VICIOUS and AGGRESSIVE and WILL leave you bleeding if you cross them the wrong way. There's just no two ways about it--they hold NOTHING back.

Woo hoo -- thanks for the horror movie tip! Not sure how that one slipped under my radar, but I'm on it.

But yeah, a feral cat is pretty much what you described, while actually being a wild animal -- unsocialized to, and therefore scared of, humans, and unvaccinated (extra fun if, like me, you don't live in a rabies-free country).

Do you guys actually call them that over there or is it just a nick? At our first dog show Mr Dani said 'oh look at the cute sausage dogs' and the breeder gave him the death stare and a lecture'
Well, when I'm on the clock, I call them Dachshunds. Hell, if the owner wants, I'll even throw in the proper German pronunciation.
Let's just say off the click is a different story.

Well, when I'm on the clock, I call them Dachshunds. Hell, if the owner wants, I'll even throw in the proper German pronunciation.
Let's just say off the click is a different story.

LOL. I've been told off for saying Dachy. It's a Darx Hoond. Or saying Rottie - it's a Rrrrrotviler. Dont get me started on Bichon Frise. I have Dontgiveashtwhatyouclallmeaslongasitisntlabradoodledaydinkydinkydoowup

For Pitty lovers.

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/patr...campaign=la7ve

A much maligned breed because of a few cretinous owners. Man, I've always loved The Patrick but now I swear undying love and devotion. That is so sweet. What a gentle man, and beautiful pitty.

I'd upvote that 10 times if I could.

Isnt it so sweet. What a beautiful smiley girl.

Lulu watching a flock of starlings, selecting her next her next victim most likely.

Lulu watching a flock of starlings, selecting her next her next victim most likely.
Does she chatter when she sees birdies?

If windows are Cat TV, Spring is like sweeps.
And I've got proof, she's not alone:

Does she chatter when she sees birdies?

Nope, Lulu is very quiet. She was bit when she was young and I think speaking hurts. She makes a tiny raspy meow on rare occasions.

Raven is the one who never shuts up. Torties, ehhh....

My siamese were talkers as well. Like...god, get me out of this house and into a war zone for some peace and quiet.

My siamese were talkers as well. Like...god, get me out of this house and into a war zone for some peace and quiet.
I'm conviced that Torties and Siamese are the exact same thing, just different paint jobs and decals. Like Trans Ams and Z28's.

Oh and in answer to your earlier question: