Worst Storm?

Tools    

I've been freakin out about this Hurricane that's about to hit Florida, and is heading straight through my town, so I was just wondering what's the worst storm you guys have been through?

Lets put a smile on that block
NO!......

NO! MOTHER OF GODLY NATURE NO!

Im going florida in September for my birthday with a group of friends. Ive been dreaming of this holiday for the past year, please dont say Hurricane Meryl or whatever its called, is going to destroy it! Especially as my parents own a house in Kissimee, Orlando where im gonna be staying! Its not going there is it Mayhem?

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I was just wondering if anyone here was in Florida.

I've been evacuated for hurricaines twice. Bertha wasn't too bad, but Felix did some damage. That second storm, we were moved 3 hours inland, and the storm changed directions and went right over us, anyway. I stood on the motel balcony and watched a huge car dealership sign blow down, fly across the road and land right under my car. I went inside and found the rum.

This one sounds worse than that. Bonnie is fierce. I hope you and yours are ok. Report back when you can.

OOh all these people in Florida! We should all meet up for a jar when i come over in September! (without going too much off topic, and without being incredibly insensitive...know any good places to go in Orlando? )

Its so strange having to deal with Natural Disasters, In England all we get is fog. That more or less disables us as it is. Without sounding like im asknig a real stupid question, what was it like being evacuated? Could you bring anything with you?

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
We'd been warned that a story was a'comin'.... When they announced on the radio that our island was being evacuated, we had 6 hours or so til they anticipated the storm hitting land. I was working in an outdoor theater at the time and before we could leave, we had to totally 'strike' the show, which involved removing hundreds of costumes and props large and small up to safer ground. Then, we were allowed to go pack and hit the trail. I had my car, and could have taken anything I wanted. The stress-inducing element is that the roads (and often there's only one) off the island were pretty congested. Sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic is especially unnerving when you wonder if impending doom is blowing in.

Being away was ok. We were all put up in a motel, courtesy of the theater company, and frankly had a great time. Aside from when that storm hit, which was unnerving. I had a roommate there who had been through Andrew, and she had some pretty harrowing tales to tell. This thing in Florida sounds more on that order than what I went through.

After the storm, we returned to find tree limbs down... one had sliced through the christmas tree lights on our porch. There were a few broken windows and signs down. I think that was a level one or two storm though, and Bonnie is currently at 4. : /

Well, it's all over now. Everything was pretty much good around my area. Everything's still sorta out of whack, some businesses were closed, some open, others sort of in-between. It was definitely the worst storm I've been through, but still wasn't terrible. We were seeing some strange explosions across the lake from us though. These green balls would go off in the sky every 10 minutes or so, 'twer strange.

So...a vacation in Orlando huh? What sort of places did you have in mind?

Im glad its all over for you guys, still a little bit worried about our flight over there, had to fly around a hurricane once before coming back from Orlando and i thought i was going to die. Worst flight of my life. I felt so selfish when i watched the news the other day, heres me moaning about these hurricanes that may destroy my holiday, and as it turns out, quite a few people have lost their homes, livelyhood and their lives to these storms over the last couple of days. Im such a dink.

my parents own a house in Orlando and im heading over with a few friends from home for 3 weeks, Were gonna do all the parks, even though ive done them a few times gefore, plus weve all just turned 21 so will finally be able to go out and have a drink, but i was just wondering where the locals hang out, coz its mainly tourist central in orlando. Were most probably gonna be drinking and stuff at Downtown Disney, Point Orlando and Universal City Walk, any other cool places to go?

Pointe Orlando, and Festival Bay is where I like to go if I'm heading into the I-Drive Area. But if you're gonna be in town for 3 weeks, then you should check out Downtown Orlando, because there's all sortsa stuff to do down there at night, dance clubs, live music (which is my favorite part b/c there's a nice local music scene here), and lotsa drinkin'. I don't think you're going to have to worry about any Hurricanes though. If you're gonna catch a movie the area art house is called the Enzian, and it's a pretty cool little Cinema-Restaraunt hybrid, plus it's a charity organization. Definitely steer clear from the malls though, except for Mall at Millennia which is pretty cool (but expensive).

Glad you're okay Project… Charlie turned out to be pretty nasty… I went through Lilly last year… not too much damage in New Orleans but two of the levee pumps broke down which caused a lot of flooding… and we had a few gators visiting downtown…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Hey, glad to hear someone else is heading to FL in Sept. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to head down during "hurricane season", so they say. My family is already calling me a "Freak" for flying out on 9/11.

Thanks guys! The damage was more than I originally thought, although most people I know are 100%, but schools have been closed for a week and a half! I've never seen that happen before.

glad to see that you've made it out in one piece..

i am also going to florida toward the end of september.....last year we missed isabel by this much....veered off toward north carolina at the last minute...

enjoy your trip, blib...i have already experienced disney in a torrential downpour....