Best Science Fiction Movie - All Time

Tools    

Originally Posted by casa
What is the message [of Soderbergh's Solaris]?
The promise of feeling love again, even knowing it is only a copy, is better than the crushing grief of love lost. Feeling love and being loved is everything. Intellectually knowing is not as strong or ultimately as important as emotionally feeling. A mind stuck in deep depression might well find the option of regaining that feeling of love is worth a sacrifice of self.

That's a message anyway.

'Tis a beautiful film. I think.

*though to be perfectly honest, I might trade that feeling of love for the chance at feeling up Ms. Weaver in her very tight, very small undies.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Batteries not included

if i had to go with just one it would be 'akira' which is always amongst my top ten movies of all time and easilly my most watched.

a lot of my other favorites have been mentioned thus far but a couple i havent seen mentioned [sorry if someone mentioned them and i missed it] would be -

barbarella, and forbidden planet.

as for worst....., i'll go with 'outland', starring the ever-deplorable acting skills of one sean connery. with a few exceptions [time bandits, which really verged on self-parody, and the excellent 'man who would be king' are the two that come to mind]. still, 'outland' has to be his worst, and i'd take battlefield earth [which, terrible though it is, seems unfairly slandered when compared to plenty of more commercially successful 'sci fi' films which are just as bad, like 'the lost world' ferexample] over this horrendous movie any day.

one of the biggest dissapointments for me was 'the lathe of heaven'. great book, could have been a really great film, but ended up pretty dated and unmemorable.

any takers for 'liquid sky'?

Top 5 in order

1.Star Wars: the Empie Strikes Back
2.Blade Runner
3.Alien
4.Signs
5.Star Wars: A New Hope
And found he was eating his shoe.

ah crap I forgot the Matrix! phbbt

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
the first one is the best one and my fave movie ever, though i am sucker for anything to do with the matrix so i actually liked all of 'em, including the third

A system of cells interlinked
I also liked them all, but think the first is the best by quite a bit....

A system of cells interlinked
Hey UCL, why the bad rep for my post? Well, I think it was bad, the dot is grey, maybe I don't understand the rep sys that well....

The Matrix
Star Wars OT
Alien

I meant the first

Where is Dune on everyone's list? I thought it was a good adaptation of Frank Herbert's book.
tie between Blade Runner and Dune for me.

they both revolve around Vader.

(May 2005-epi.3)

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
For me:

1. Star Wars a New Hope.
2. Blade Runner.
3. Total Recall.
4. Akira.
5. Ghost in The Shell.
6. The Fifth Element.
7. Dark City.
8. The original Matrix.
9. 2001: A Space Odyssey.
10. Starship Troopers.
11. Stargate.
12. Independence Day.
13. Armageddon.
14. The Thing ( 1982).
15. Empire Strikes Back.
16. Return of the Jedi.
17. The Dark Crystal.
18. Heavy Metal.
19. Howard The Duck.
20. Wizards.
21. Transformers: The Movie.
22. Rock & Rule.
23. Critters 1 & 2.
24. Return of the Aliens: The Deadly Spawn.
25. The Terminator.
26. Terminator 2.
27. Aliens.
28. Alien.
29. Jurassic Park.
30. Close Encounters.
31. E.T.
32. Tron.
33. Men in Black.
34. Forbidden Planet.
35. Metropolis ( both 1927 and 2001 versions).
36. Cowboy Bebop: The Movie.
37. Bad Taste.
38. Robocop.