→ in
Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
have not seen either

Watched: 6/21
#4 Voices
#11 Chocolat

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Didn't vote for either [what else is new?]. The Selfish Giant is a naturalistic, poetic coming-of-age film which does seem to pile on teenage problems but I don't doubt its cinematic veracity.
Mamma Mia! (Phyllida Lloyd, 2008)

This is a silly, yet intoxicating and gorgeous-looking musical, built around the songs of Swedish supergroup ABBA. Set in beautiful Greece, it tells the story of 20-year-old Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) who invites three older men to her wedding without telling her mother Donna (Meryl Streep). The reason is that any of the three, Sam (Pierce Brosnan), Harry (Colin Firth) or Bob (Stellan Skarsgård), could be her father and most definitely, one of them is. Needless to say, when Donna finds out, she's not happy, but that doesn't stop everybody from singing and dancing all over the entire movie.

It doesn't really matter if you're an ABBA fanatic or can't tell the difference between them and AC/DC. The film is bright, cute, and just a lot of fun. I'll admit that the time frame of the film seems to defy logic, but who needs logic when you have this much fun on hand? The actors do their best at singing although it's obvious that a few are dubbed, but Meryl Streep and her two best buddies (played by Christine Baranski and Julie Walters - I was getting a Shirley Valentine flashback from the latter) really let it all hang out during their musical numbers. And PLEASE, quit acting like there is something wrong with musicals and people who enjoy musicals. Well, to be honest, I'm not specifically discussing anybody here, but it always seems like when you mention musicals that it turns off all the "macho guys"; you know, the ones who want to go kill things in their videogames or want to watch their video-game-based movies. Those are what real guys enjoy! Sorry about that. Just watch this movie and enjoy it if you can. Otherwise, watch what you enjoy. It's fine, and you don't need me to tell you so.
Seen 22/22
My List
22. Bound

i had beach rats at #7 and raw at #10. my only regret is that i could not get them higher than mamma mia!
criticker

Master of My Domain
Mamma Mia has a classic status in Korea, so I have a soft spot for it. I don't think it's nearly as obnoxious as people assume it is.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
#80.
Mamma Mia!

(dir. Phyllidia Lloyd, 2008)

1 x 1st, 1 x 12th
=
39 points

I'm the one who had Mamma Mia! at #1 on my list. I didn't know most of the Abba songs before I saw the movie, but I loved the movie. It's a fun movie set on a beautiful island with some great music.

My list (so far):
1) Mamma Mia! (Phyllida Lloyd-2008)
10) What Women Want (Nancy Meyers-2000)
16) The Holiday (Nancy Meyers-2006)
25) Across the Universe (Julie Taymor-2007)

Welcome to the human race...
I watched Mamma Mia! earlier this year and, while I went in understanding exactly what kind of movie it was trying to be and thus did not hate it as a result, I didn't like it either.

Haven't seen The Selfish Giant.

movies can be okay...
I understand the hate for Mamma Mia!, but at the same time I don't understand it. Maybe it's just because I've seen it back when I was a child, so I still have a good memory of it.

Pariah is really good.

Both were on mine. Pariah was my #19. A very personal film for Dee Rees that manages to tell a black coming out story from an almost entirely black perspective, rather than focusing on any type of white point of view not even any racism she may have suffered growing up. Think it resulted in one of the most powerful films of the decade, also i liked the weird filming and colour choices.

Night Moves was my #15. Reichardt's films are all about the atmosphere and i think making a film about paranoia and regret fit her style perfectly, it was suffocating. Tbh, i haven't seen it more than once so i don't know if i'll still feel the same but it's my favourite of hers at this point.

15. Night Moves
19. Pariah
25. Je, Tu, Il, Elle

Welcome to the human race...
Haven't seen Pariah but I liked Mudbound well enough so I'll definitely have to make the effort to catch it.

Night Moves is good, but it just missed the cut for me.

Yes! finally one from my list that I loved. Night Moves (Kelly Reichardt, 2013) I had that at #4

I've liked or loved all of Reichardt's films, I've seen them all too (except one short film) and Night Moves really generated this foreboding, doomed atmosphere. It's like watching seconds tick off a clock as you dread having to do something when the clock strikes the hour.

Night Moves
is understated with a terse undercurrent, which is just to my taste. Glad to see it on the countdown.

I'll watch it the next time you join a hall of fame.
I feel like it was part of the doc one, but I could be wrong. Yes, I realize that's besides the point.