The Thread Where We Talk About Baseball

Tools    

Mike (Sedai), Matt (John McClane) and I started talking about baseball in The Shoutbox, so I thought I'd start a thread for random baseball musings.

The discussion there left off on the subtleties of the sport, and what it takes to appreciate what is admittedly the slowest-moving of the four major North American sports.

I find that most baseball fans enjoy it for one (or more) of three reasons:

First, the day-in, day-out, ever-present nature of the baseball season. If you pick a given team, they'll have a game scheduled on roughly 90% of the days during the 6-month regular season. It's always there, always in the background.

Second, the history behind it. We're talking 100 years of records and precedents, and new things still happen basically every year. Baseball's history make it all the more meaningful when a record is broken, as opposed to the NFL, where records don't go back more than a few decades.

Third, the incredible number of variables that go into determining each team's success. This lends itself to an absurd amount of statistical analysis which, despite being insanely creative (DIPS, for example) and comprehensive at times, still hasn't managed to boil baseball down to a science.

There's also the issue of parity: despite massively different payrolls throughout the game, there is a very tiny margin, talent-wise, from the worst team to the best. The worst teams in history still win a third of their games, and the best teams in history still lose a third. Any team has a very reasonable chance of beating any other team on the right day, something you cannot always say about a sport like football.

I could go on forever: baseball has -- overwhelmingly -- the most beautiful and personal architecture of all the major sports. Games are cheaper to attend than in the NFL, NBA, or NHL. And it's the only league with an All-Star game that means anything, or draws any attention.

So, to those who love baseball: what do you love about it? The reasons above? Others?

I'll also be dropping in random thoughts throughout the season unrelated to the initial question posed here. First up: Alex Rodriguez may not be of the genus homo sapien. He may be some sort of machine/alien hybrid hitting organism.

I can't believe nobody's replied to this yet.

Not that I'm a baseball person... I've been to one game in my life, so far. That was last year, in fact. Red Sox VS. Orioles. Orioles won. I found the experience mostly boring. But I did enjoy a hamburger and a beer while sitting in the stands. It just seemed like a cool way to hang out. I was supposed to see the Braves battle the Nationals last year too, but it was rained out, and I missed the rescheduled game (which happened months later...).

When I was a kid, I inherited A LOT of baseball cards from someone, but I could have cared less. I had friends come over and look at them in amazement. I knew exactly 0% about them. They were just storage. But I believe some friends took some of the cards home with them because I said they could have 'em. They probably cashed in on the cards and bought themselves Nintendo 64s, which is why people loved coming over to see what sort of things they could take from me.

I've played Baseball since I was 12 but have not touched a ball in almost 5 years.

I love the defense part of it. Unfortunately with me being left handed, I could only play first, pitcher or the outfield. Though I did play 3rd allot near the end there. Oh and 2nd as well and still turned more double plays than most of the lot. However, it was ground balls I loved getting and ground balls I love watching when I go to the games here. We only have single 'A' now but we did have 'AAA' a few years back plus I managed to catch a couple blue jays games here for the exhibition part of it and in Seattle for the regular season ones. I love Both Jays and the Sox.

I hate Steroids in the game nowadays. The fact that Barry Bonds is going to be beating out Hammerin' Hank for the most Home Runs in a career annoys the hell out of me. That guy was on the juice with many of those dingers he got. Nobody goes from averaging 35 or 36 dingers in a season for most of your career to 55 - 70+ as he did. I think he should step down. How can anyone look at themselves in the mirror after deceiving all the fans and the smashing the beautiful Records of clean players. Roger Maris is another dude that should still have his Record. McGuire and Sosa are cheaters. They are both nice guys with very good personalities to the fans but damn man, they got hooked into doing the roids. I saw Sammy play here in triple A and he was a Scrawny little 20 something year old. Then Booooom, he's huge. Phooey I say. And don't forget that little corked bat incident he had where he somehow didn't notice the batboy handing him his batting practice stick. Sure Sammy.......sure.

You ready? You look ready.
It's been that long since we talked about it in the Shoutbox? Sheez, seemed like it was just the other day.

I'm not a fan of baseball for those of you who do not know know this, both Yoda and Sedai already know from the Shoutbox. It has just never appealed to me and it has nothing to do with the sport being "slow."
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
MLB sucks and it never ends. World Series in October, winter meetings in December, pitchers and catchers report in February, and so on. Like 162 games isn't enough.

I'm also amazed as how such unimportant things in baseball seem so important to them, like, Felix Hernandez enters rarified air as Mariners name him opening-day starter for 10th straight season.

Felix Hernandez wins 160, losses 114, current contract according to spotrac, Felix Hernandez signed a 7 year / $175,000,000 contract with the Seattle Mariners, including a $6,000,000 signing bonus, $175,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $25,000,000. In 2018, Hernandez will earn a base salary of $26,000,000 and a signing bonus of $857,142, while carrying a cap hit of $26,857,142.

Seattle Mariner's all time record,3062-3455. Last time they made the playoffs, 2001. Made the playoff 4 times, no pennants. Last game I went to, August 25, 2006.

Instead of changing the S on their cap to a trident which, according to the superstition morons is bad juju, to S for suckers. Ah yes, that's the problem the trident, not the fact that they haven't been in the playoffs since 2001.

Can't wait till they pull the trigger on Safeco like The Kingdome.

Not a bad pair of LCS going on right now
Crazy amount of road wins.

I'm a Giants fan so I am pleased to see Bruce Bochy back in the World Series with the Rangers. And also pleased to see those cheating Astros sent packing.

Can the snakes win another road game tonight? Will be nice to see a relatively new name on the trophy.

Crazy amount of road wins.

I'm a Giants fan so I am pleased to see Bruce Bochy back in the World Series with the Rangers. And also pleased to see those cheating Astros sent packing.

Can the snakes win another road game tonight? Will be nice to see a relatively new name on the trophy.

The Snakes would obviously be my choice for Champs but yeah the Rangers eliminating the Astros was pretty sweet. I'm just starting to get back into the game, a lot new players I don't recognize, game has changed a lot over the past few years. It shocks me starting pitchers only last between 2 - 5 in these games now unless there just flat out dealin'. That seemed to be how clubs won the series ''if" they had the arms to do it now it seems to be more level the way teams use their rotation and innings. Crazy.

I guess my Waiting For Baseball threads been replaced.

Really hate how the Rays just dropped the ball at the end after so much promise to begin the year. Now we need to find a new franchise player as "him who shall not be named" has gone to the wayside. Damn, just damn.

I really dont care about any of the other teams. I guess Im rooting for Philly because Trea Turners with them. I don't hold it against him pooching my season in Fantasy Baseball. A long line of many can claim that over the years lol

I've been watching Houston for the past several months, so I was pulling for them. Down 0-2 against Rangers, they had a nice come back making in 3-2. I knew when the 7th game would be at Astro's home (Minute Maid) that they'd be the underdog. I think they lost all of their game in the series at home.It's one of the few teams in MLB that plays much worse at home than they do on the road. Very strange.

I grew up being a Pirates fan (back in the '60s when they had great teams), when the Astros were National league. Lots of good games between the two. Still feels funny to me to root for an AL team. I suppose I'll root for Texas. It should be a real good World Series. Baseball doesn't get the TV coverage it used to.

Rooting for Texas all the way. Fun team, and they've never won before, despite coming agonizingly close.
Oh! Yeah I'll root for them instead.

Unless the BoSox are playing, always support the NL team.

Am glad that the Astros are out of the running, but really the ALCS was a no-win situation.

No chance will ever support any team named R******, irrespective of if they are from Texas, New York, Queen's Park, Berwick, Cove, the former club from Glasgow or the Sevco incarnation inhabiting Ipox now... or anywhere else for that matter.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Since I use to live in the Lancaster area, I guess I should root for Philly.
Pfft, I grew up in Easton, Pa., an hour north of Philly, and we never rooted for the Phillies. (We were a Mets family.)

Now I'm in western Pa. and obviously root for the Pirates/Bucs! It's a thankless job but somebody's gotta do it. (I moved here in 1979 for college--the year both the Pirates and the Steelers won their respective crowns. I'd never lived in a sports town before, so I just assumed Pittsburghers were generally insane as I watched the town go crazy on those two separate nights...)

The trick is not minding
Pfft, I grew up in Easton, Pa., an hour north of Philly, and we never rooted for the Phillies. (We were a Mets family.)

Now I'm in western Pa. and obviously root for the Pirates/Bucs! It's a thankless job but somebody's gotta do it. (I moved here in 1979 for college--the year both the Pirates and the Steelers won their respective crowns. I'd never lived in a sports town before, so I just assumed Pittsburghers were generally insane as I watched the town go crazy on those two separate nights...)
Oh! I went to a community college next door in Bethlehem during the 90’s

The Adventure Starts Here!
Oh! I went to a community college next door in Bethlehem during the 90’s
My brother's family is still in Bethlehem (pronounced properly as "BETH-lum"). So you went to NCACC (pronounced "NACK-Ack")?

No chance will ever support any team named R******, irrespective of if they are from Texas, New York, Queen's Park, Berwick, Cove, the former club from Glasgow or the Sevco incarnation inhabiting Ipox now... or anywhere else for that matter.
Okay, I'll bite: why?