Favourite Horror Films since 2000

Tools    

Been getting into Horror again lately, really haven't watched many from the 21st Century though so just post your favourites or whatever so i can take recs.

As i said i haven't watched that much so this probably isn't a very good top ten but this is what it would look like i think, may be forgetting some stuff.

01.Let The Right One In
02.Trick r Treat
03.It Follows
04.The Babadook (literally just watched this so i may be overrating it)
05.Ginger Snaps
06.The Mist
07.The Devils Rejects
08.Tucker and Dale Vs Evil
09.28 Weeks Later
10.28 Days Later

Good list

Off the top of my head so I'm sure I missed some

1. Shaun Of The Dead
2. You're Next
3. Dawn Of The Dead Remake
4. The Devils Rejects
5. The Witch
6. 28 Days Later
7. Cabin In The Woods
8. Frontier(s)
9. High Tension
10. Evil Dead Remake

1- Sinister
2- Let The Right One In
3- Joy Ride
4- The Conjuring
5- The Orphanage
6- The Ring
7- Grave Encounters
8- Jeepers Creepers
9- The Devil's Reject
10- V/H/S 2

Going by what Letterboxd lists as horror.

1. Antichrist

I never used to think of Antichrist as being horror... but I guess it is. Wiki describes it as "experimental horror," which I think is an apt description. Alas, it's one of my top favorite films of all-time. I find it to be intense, visceral, and f*cking stunningly, beautifully crafted. One of the most atmospheric films ever made, this is a masterpiece to behold.

--------------------------------

2. The Witch

Another masterpiece. I read someone describe it as Ingmar Bergman meets Ken Russell (I'm guessing specifically The Devils), and I think that's proper. Elegant, well-crafted and at times a bit disturbing, I couldn't stop thinking about the film for quite some time.

3. Let the Right One In

It might be my favorite vampire film, like it is many. It gets a lot of recognition among people and I think it's well-deserved. Another atmospheric, well-told story of puppy love... one of those pups being a vampire!

4. Lords of Salem

Including this might make me look bad, and it's based more on my memory than anything - I've seen it once, and seeing it again, my opinion of it could drastically change. The only reason I provide that caveat is because I'm kind of confused why I like it so much. I haven't heard many say anything good about it, and instead quite a bit of bad. But I find it to be another elegantly-made, subtly-paced horror film. I love the brooding nature of it... the slow zooms when he establishes shots, for example. It's the only film by director Rob Zombie that I like, by the way. It is so different from his other work, and I wish he'd do more like it.

5. Stoker

Like Antichrist, I'm kind of iffy about this film being called horror, but Letterboxd and Wiki both say it is so whatever. I love this film for a few reasons. The main one is Mia Wasikowska. She is such a joy to watch in this flick. The second main reason is Park Chan-Wook's directing. Stylistic and atmospheric. A great, underrated film.

6. Pontypool

I first saw this early last year, and I freaking adored it. I gave it a full score and immediately rewatched it. Recently, I saw it again with a friend and loved it just as much. It's a great, creative film, that doesn't rely on blood, guts or nudity (not that there is anything wrong with those things, but the change of pace can be refreshing), and replaces them with bold originality in script. Love it.

7. The House of the Devil

The pacing! The glorious pacing!

8. May

I dunno. I guess this film relies a little bit on the charm of Angela Bettis, but I feel like it works so well anyway that I decided to include it. Lucky McKee is an awesome modern horror director, and this is his best film in my opinion (though The Woman gives it a run for its money)

9. Ginger Snaps

It's a classic, and one of the best werewolf films.

10. The Babadook

The best performance of anyone on this list (though not necessarily my favorite to watch) has to be Essie Davis as the mother in this film. She's brilliant. You can feel her anxiety and mental breakdown - says someone who has dealt with both those things himself. The kid is good too, properly annoying. I feel like this film got some backlash after it came out and some said how scary it was. It's not scary! But that's okay. Horror films aren't scary, and that's not why I watch or like them.

But that's okay. Horror films aren't scary, and that's not why I watch or like them.
Same here. Think i may watch House of the Devil later tonight. Looks pretty good, i haven't ever heard of it actually.

Madness is the emergency exit…
The Orphanage
Ju-On: The Curse
Let the Right One In
Saw
The Mist
Trollhunter
The Babadook
The Poughkeepsie Tapes
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
It Follows

Honorable Mentions:
A Serbian Film
Dog Soldiers
Triangle
Inside
The Descent
Black Death
The Revenant (2009)
Devil's Backbone
REC.
What We Do in the Shadows

Master of My Domain
Not seen a lot of 2000s horror films, but if I had to make a list:

1. Shaun of the Dead
2. The Devil's Rejects
3. The Host
4. Zombieland
5. The Devil's Backbone
6. Final Destination
7 to 10: Bad movies I regret seeing

I've watched Let The Right One In multiple times in an attempt to see why everyone loved it so much but I just can't see it, It's a decent movie but I really don't get the hype.

The Witch was also very, very good.
I loved The Witch, the only down side to seeing it in theaters was that I had to listen to all the idiots boo and mock it. Multiple people walked out, a couple near me was laughing the whole time, and when the credits ran half of the crowd started booing.

I think people were expecting a generic jump scare movie, like most of the horror films that get wide releases, and instead they got a well done psychological horror.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Let the Right One In
Grindhouse
Shaun of the Dead
Kill List
Cabin in the Woods
The Descent
The Witch
The Babadook
The Conjuring
It Follows

Bonus - Cheap Thrills

Let the Right One In
Grindhouse
Shaun of the Dead
Kill List
Cabin in the Woods
The Descent
The Witch
The Babadook
The Conjuring
It Follows

Bonus - Cheap Thrills
Cool to see this movie get some love, it was a lot of fun.

I've watched Let The Right One In multiple times in an attempt to see why everyone loved it so much but I just can't see it, It's a decent movie but I really don't get the hype.
Superb atmosphere, some of the finest child acting i've seen personally particularly from Lina Leandersson. More than anything for me it is such a great and unique love story, not just because it a proper horror movie romance but because of the nature of Eli.

What didn't you like about it?

I loved The Witch, the only down side to seeing it in theaters was that I had to listen to all the idiots boo and mock it. Multiple people walked out, a couple near me was laughing the whole time, and when the credits ran half of the crowd started booing.

I think people were expecting a generic jump scare movie, like most of the horror films that get wide releases, and instead they got a well done psychological horror.
Unfotunately, many cinemagoers are brainwashed genre hunting lobotomised a-holes. It is a great movie. I watched it last night.

Master of My Domain
Oh yeah I forgot about A Tale of Two Sisters. That's a good one.

I will second the Wolf Creek rec, though I haven't seen it in a long time. Good one cricket.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Here are some of my favourites, in no particular order.

Ginger Snaps
The Cabin in the Woods
Dog Soldiers
The Descent
Drag Me to Tell
You're Next
Eden Lake
The Ring
The Conjuring

There are plenty more, but these ones stick out in my mind right now.

Suspect's Reviews