The MoFo Top Video Games List: The Countdown!

Tools    

1 Skyrim
3 Fallout 3
27 Oblivion

It is really weird to know how popular Bethesda is here.To me it felt like a game studio like Blizzard or Firaxis. Although I understand why people who are into movies might be into Bethesda's games: they are very cinematic. Although I liked all of them they are pretty flawed games in terms of gameplay. They feel more like interactive anime movies rather than "games". Although they have been improving: Fallout 4 is better than Skyrim while Skyrim is better than Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 is better than Oblivion.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
No Arkanoid? Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines? Duke Nukem 3D? Dragon Age: Origins? Mass Effect 2? Amnesia: The Dark Descent? Etc, etc, etc.

Arkanoid was #8 on my list.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Here's my list for anyone that's interested....my list...with commentary
1 The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time (2)
Amazing game and game world. Very fond memories. Glad it made it to no.2. Don’t really need to say much

2 Goldeneye (7)
I live in Aus and we had a N64, which I guess a lot of us kids did then. Probably the second FPS I ever played, first would have been Doom. The graphics (of the time), the missions, the multiplayer, I feel in love. My brother and I clocked the game, ever cheat. The need for me to tell you means I’m still proud of it. Not sure how well it would hold up today although the 360 revitalization of the original Perfect Dark does alright.

3 Master of Orion II (44)
One of the first PC games I played. Bit of a learning curve for a young kid. Very rewarding though.

4 Star craft (25)
My first RTS. Blown away by this game, thinking about it I probably should have it higher than Master of Orion II, oh well, Tacitus will just have to re-do the list haha, joking. Pretty perfect game, did a bit of the multiplayer too. Can’t say I enjoyed the normal mode as the crystals ran out too fast, I love the maps where you had almost infinite crystal and vespine, and just concentrated on making a huge base and huge armies 3 v 3. Spent a fair few hours of childhood to early teens with this.

5 Grand theft auto: San Andreas (6)
Definitely my favourite, I could probably still navigate some of the maps, especially around Grove Street. In my opinion, GTA has lost some of its charm and even gameplay allure (including the blockbuster GTA 5). Loved the RPG aspects, the different fighting systems, the ability to pump weights or eat, loved peddling around on a bike, the wave enemy turf wars, the greatest single player GTA experience to date.

6 Halo combat evolved (20)
So, I wouldn’t say we were poor, at all, or really had it tough but we couldn’t really afford the nice things in life consistently, if you know what I mean. We had an old Mac, which being a Mac and being old didn’t really play much or play much well. Basically I went from Goldeneye as a FPS to Halo on xbox. That was huge leaps in graphics. So inevitably, Halo blew my mind. I still remember my amazement at the graphics in the opening level, using my flashlight on the soldiers faces and corridors to highlight the colour, detail, etc. Nothing to date has blown me away in terms of a graphical leap as I believe we are at a more incremental change plus I’m up relatively up to date.

GTA: Vice City (8)
Loved this as well, spent hours, think San Andreas just refines it a tad and edges it lthough this is a brilliant game.

Dark Souls (16)
I won’t write an essay, think I already did in the game thread. In terms of the last generation of gaming, nothing captured me as much as this, the world, the game play, the difficulty, all ace.

9 Skyrim (1)
Great game, took a bit to warm up to to be honest, never having played a previous title or the fallout series prior, once you knew how to play you were sucked in.

10 Splinter Cell (didn’t make it)
Excellent graphics, gameplay, stealth. Fond memories

11 Max Payne 3 (didn’t make it)
Have to say this is the best third person shooter I have played, Rockstar did so well, sharper/better shooting than GTA 5 which somehow missed the mark a bit.

12 The sims (37)

13 The Witcher 2 (Didn’t make it)
Really top game, definitely one of the best game of last gen. I haven’t played the third one which is apparently better…..

14 Battlefield 3 (nope)
Best military shooter experience I remember. The graphics and amazing sound and feel of the guns was very impressive. The sound of those guns though, stayed with me, now I think they all do it top notch.

15 Fight night champion (nope)
I’m a huge boxing fan IRL, regardless this was my ultimate combat game, no tiresome combo pressing and learning, all about speed, movement, simplicity but challenging plus its boxing. The online triggered me though, badly, so many cheaters and right hand spammers, wish they fixed that. We need a new one too.

16 COD: World at War (nope lol)
Don’t laugh, great WW2 shooter, great multiplayer, aside from Cod MW2 went pretty downhill or not even downhill more plateau from here.

17 Fallout 3 (3)
Great game, didn’t fall in love with it to be honest.

18 chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay (nope)
Fond memories, I only rented it for 3 days but I obviously my like of it has endured.

19 Red Dead Redemption (5)
Very good game, I haven’t finished it yet ;( after two attempts, got distracted. Very good game though.

20 Mass Effect 2 (Didn’t make it, little surprising)
Another very good game. Loved the initial playthrough, I’ve tried doing it again on harder difficulties but I never really get that feelings going again.

21 Dead space (nope)
Scariest game I’ve played and fun, especially playing with my GF.

22 Riven (nope)
Childhood fond memories, nice weird world and puzzle solving.

23 Sim City 2000 (No)
A game the old mac could handle, had some fun mucking around in this one.

24 Diablo 2 (34)
Very good game, didn’t capture me like other blizzard titles, namely star craft.

25 NBA 2k12 (no)
Opps sorry I mean 13, sorry Tacitus you’ll have to redo the list a second time haha. Second best sports game I’ve played…eh I haven’t played any of the current ones so….they have probably improved.

Thanks very much for doing the list Tacitus, was good fun reading all the posts. Glad some classic games are remembered fondly.

Arkanoid was #8 on my list.
Yeah, if I had a list it would've been somewhere in my top 10. Played it all the time as a kid, even though I wasn't very good at it. I even found it a few years ago on a flash gaming site, where I spent most of my time online. Wish I could remember the name of the site and see if it's still there.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yeah, if I had a list it would've been somewhere in my top 10. Played it all the time as a kid, even though I wasn't very good at it. I even found it a few years ago on a flash gaming site, where I spent most of my time online. Wish I could remember the name of the site and see if it's still there.

I haven't looked for it, but it might be listed in the All My Favs game section:

http://games.allmyfaves.com/

I found it! http://www.y8.com/games/arkanoid_taiken

I use an adblocker, so I have no idea if the site's full of popups or not. If you plan on visiting the site be careful.

I wish Arma II was on the list, and maybe DayZ. My favorite rpg was Final Fantasy Tactics, but I'm not surprised to not see it.

I am glad to see Dark Souls, a game I've locked in more than 2000 hours. And Mega Man 2, the only Mega Man game I've beaten.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I just realized I typed constricting instead of restricting. Sometimes I wonder, I just wonder...

I'll be honest, I don't remember the overall story much. I remember the story with Isabela and liking that character. I mostly remember hating that it all basically took place in one location and going back and forth a lot with some boring quests. Also, every time you walked somewhere the same damn enemies would keep popping up in some alley.
DA2 seemed to be a game which was taken out of the oven before it was ready. I've never seen a big release like that reuse assets on such a scale and the battles with the constantly respawning enemies pointed to mechanics which either just didn't come together as intended or a gameplay choice they made which was pretty baffling. I thought the story structure was fine, just implemented really poorly. Still finished the game, mind.

Which is more than I can say about Inquisition...

I had VTM Bloodlines at #14, but no one else voted for it which didn't surprise me - I think it's an awesome RPG (and probably the best I've played which has a recognisably modern setting) but the barrier to entry is rather high.

Still trying to figure out the Mofo listings. That said, since my list is so esoteric, I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw it up for people to poke fun at it

1. Doom (1993) - My fondest memories in gaming was when I went to the store with my dad and got the shareware version. The feeling of nostalgia is on par to when I listen to Beethoven's 9th.
2. Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction - The feeling of expecting more of the same and getting something far greater than the first game. To this day, there is something incredibly unsung about D2 accessorization.
3. Morrowind - That music. That never ending hand-crafted world. What a splendid thing.
4. Freelancer - One of the few games that I reinstall and play to my own soundtrack. Nothing will ever beat the feeling of being trapped in a “Dyson Sphere” or warping to a solar system with next to nothing in it.
5. Grand Theft Auto Vice City - The ultmate marriage of soundtrack and gameplay.
6. Starcraft: Brood War - I fondly recall the night my friends and I played one single game until the sun came up.
7. Diablo - I still distinctly remember the dread of descending that cathedral for the first time.
8. Minecraft – What a ride, what a soundtrack. I could still play it for hours.
9. Wipeout 3 – Best in the series for me. Something about the aesthetics, track selection, and that boss of a soundtrack.
10. Dungeon Seige – Largely unsung, DS is an extremely relaxing game to get lost in for hours at a time. Comfort food the video game.
11. Battlefield 1942
12. Doom 2 (1994)
13. Goldeneye
14. Fallout 3 – Contentious choice for many, but I did not enjoy the pacing of New Vegas as much as this one.
15. Hellgate: London – Extremely flawed, but (strangely) nothing comes close to it. A unique monster of a thing to be sure, and one that has no right being on this list.
16. Skyrim (Modded) – I was extremely skeptical of this game after Oblivion (which I ultimately disliked), but it blew my socks off. However, this is the only game I have played with mods installed at the word go.
17. Dune (1992) – The feeling of traversing Arrakis after reading one of my favorite books in grade school still puts a smile on my face. Best Duncan Idaho of all the adaptations (Lynch’s and the mini-series).
18. Fallout 2
19. Zelda: Breath of the Wild – What a surprisingly fun game.
20. World of Warcraft (up to Wrath of the Lich King) – Slowly drops further on the list with each new expansion.
21. Half-Life
22. Dragon Quest VIII – If I had to pick one of my darlings, well then this would be the one.
23. GTA San Andreas
24. Deus Ex: Human Revolution – What a strange creature. The graphics and atmosphere remind me of Blade Runner. The Soundtrack is superb as well.
25. Fallout 4 – The series is starting to feel the dark hand of Bethesda. Still impressed at the gameplay though, and the feeling of Boston. Fully-functioning power armor, yes please
26. Stardew Valley – Currently replaying it, so it may be affecting the score.
27. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
28. Borderlands
29. Borderlands 2
30. Sid Meier’s Civilization IV
31. Gran Turismo 2
32. Mass Effect 1 - My dislike of ME2 dropped this down on the list, and the Mako makes me vomit. Didn’t play ME3.

Special Mention: RimWorld, Demon Souls, Dark Souls, Duke Nukem 3D, Zelda: Wind Waker, Dragon's Dogma, and Final Fantasy 9.

edit: grammar/spelling

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee

I nearly devoted my life to this game. After 2 years of intense competitive play, and over 100 tournaments, I ruined my thumb and could not continue. When my friends know people who think they're good at this game, they bring me over to shatter their world. You can find some footage of me on youtube under the tag Rufio. I've probably worked harder at this game than anything else in my life.

2. Final Fantasy Tactics

My favorite RPG. You can find footage of me in AI Autobattle Tournaments online under the tag Zotis. I've uploaded footage and done play by play and team analysis for FFHacktics. They still have tournaments and I may participate again. I often do my own roleplaying and minigames. I've leveled my character from 1 to 99, de-leveled back down to 1, and leveled back up to 99 just to see if it would affect your stats and if it was possible to increase your max stats this way. The myth was sadly busted. Oh, and I did it in the first chapter of the game. Also, if you use a mediator to buff your faith/brave they temporarily go up 4 points, but permanently go up 1 point. So I used this method to increase my brave permanently to 97 (it won't go permanently any higher), then in game boosted it to 100, equipped the reaction ability Blade Grasp (which makes your physical evasion equal to your brave), and equipped a reflect ring. When you do this the only things that can hit you are Summon Magic and certain monster abilities. Most enemies will walk up to you and end their turn without attacking since they can't hit you. Blade Grasp is banned from tournaments obviously.

3. DayZ Standalone

Over the original mod, though not necessarily better, I played this version the most and enjoyed it from it's conception. I have uploaded a few videos, one is a 40 minute Battle Royale event with a bunch of other players which I won. One of my proudest moments in online gaming. Quite a few of my competitors played FPS competitively in leagues at the time.

4. Mount and Blade: Napoleonic Wars

I've been in clans for this, or “Regiments” as they like to call them. The thing about this game is 100 vs 100 player line battles, where you get one life per round, and when you die you can expect to be spectating for 12 minutes or longer.

5. Counter Strike: Condition Zero

Although 1.6 is the better game, CZ is the game that I played competitively for years. I played for 7 years in total and at various levels of competitiveness, but at my peak I was playing in the Cyberathlete Amature League, Main division. I warmed up by fighting five insane difficulty AI using only a gloc, and yes I could beat them. If I played on a public server I would get banned because they assumed I was hacking. I haven't played much CS:GO, but I've played some classic competitive with my brother who plays it regularly. We've never lost when playing together online, not even once. Not that it's much of an accomplishment to beat a bunch of scrubs put together randomly. If you aren't playing in private scrims with teams that practice together, then it's not worth playing. We call people who play on public servers and think they're good because they're ranked #1 pub stars. There is a saying, “Nothing you do in a public match is an accomplishment. Do it in a league match, or don't brag about it.”

6. Dark Souls

Demon's Souls was great, but I liked Dark Souls more. I still play this game. I love how hard it is. It's very rewarding to actually be good at it. I love the way you can build your characters. One of my favorite memories is stalking a guy I invaded disguised as pottery with the chameleon spell. It didn't really hide me, but it lowered my profile. I went up on a ledge above him in the lava area. And he was standing at the edge of a cliff surveying for me. I remember thinking to myself, “If I pull this off it's going to be priceless.” Then I broke my illusion, ran and jumped off the ledge coming down on his head. He turned around, put up his shield, and was pushed back off the cliff to his death. I must have scared the crap out of him. My friend and I found a glitch for the PC version to dupe gear. You can copy and paste your save file from the data folder. So one of us would drop all our gear and the other picked it all up, then we logged out, copy/pasted our save file, and we had all our gear back. Then the other person would drop all that gear again, plus all their own gear. And we would do that back and forth. Later my friend hacked the game more so that he could just wack me and it would give me 99 humanity and millions of souls. That way we could make character builds and play online without going through the tedious process of playing all the way through the game again. I rarely leveled over 100 though, but I still have save files of various levels so I can play at whatever I want and never worry about loosing humanity and souls. With 99 Souls of a Great Hero in my box, I can pretty much level up to whatever I want. But I also play the PS3 version without any such advantages.

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops

I would say that the best Call of Duty is Call of Duty 2, but only for PC. The PC version of that game was incredible, but Black Ops makes my list over that for it's Zombie Mode. I put countless hours into that. I just loved the early days when everyone was trying to learn how to survive as long as they could. I would group up with friends and we would have our strategies. One thing I loved was going online, not saying anything, and watching people with their absurd strategies fail. They'd be yelling at me to cooperate with them, and call me stupid for just running around, but I'd always have the last laugh when they died and I was still running around. In Black Ops 2 I survived to round 41. That's my highest. I think in Black Ops I only survived to round 36, but I think it was a better game than 2. I didn't play the regular mode.

8. Arma II

Arguably better than Arma III, at least at Arma III's launch. This game was mind blowing in it's realism, and DayZ started out as a mod of it. I used to play with people who would make their own scenarios and then play them. They would run all kinds of events, like a Predator scenario, or Vietnam scenario. There would be massive battles, and because it was so realistic you really had to know your stuff. I've seen people get banned from flying helicopters because they landed with auto-hover and almost got us all killed. Flying is like playing Microsoft Flight Simulator. And there were mods to make it even more realistic. I played a mod where if you fired a rocket your ears would be ringing, and reviving teammates had extra steps from the regular version. When Arma III came out it was barren. It took time for people to create content, and it was kind of like the developers forced the players to make the game for them. A lot of people were annoyed by this.

9. Lords of Chaos

My favorite Comodore 64 game. It's a turn based RPG where you build your own wizard. It's really fun coming up with new builds and battling friends. One of my best friends still plays this with me regularly. We have some really intense duels.

10. The Matrix Online

This MMO was so addicting that I quit because it actually scared me. I had no life for a couple of months. I lived in this game, and every moment I wasn't playing it was torture. I remember dying at work because I was so bored out of my mind that I actually felt physical agony. Even spending time with my family at our cottage was brutal. I was going through withdrawals. I decided that I did not want this video game to be the entirety of my life, and I did not want to suffer every moment I was away from it. So I quit playing. But I'll never forget that experience. I mean you could interact with developers during live events, and tons of people roleplayed. I was a member of E Plurbius Neo, and we spent our time trying to find Neo. It's too bad the game got shut down, but even though it was subscription based they didn't have enough players to keep going. It had a good run though, and the story was great.

11. Grand Theft Auto 3

I bought this the day it came out and played it until 2am. We had just got our PS2 and didn't have a memory card, so my brother and I were trying to beat the game. But we couldn't stay awake any longer and called it a day. The next day we did the same thing again, and this time at around 2am we beat the game. We were literally one mission away from beating the game the night before. I remember that during the very first mission when the girl I was supposed to escort died the mission didn't restart, but it just left me there. I thought it was so awesome that even if you failed a mission you had to carry on. I was really bumbed out when I discovered that you still had to go back and redo the mission and the dead girl was alive again. I'm still waiting for that game to get made. Of all of the GTA games, this one affected me the most. I loved GTA2, but I was a bit late on that ship. San Andreas is probably the best GTA, but 3 is the one I played the most and that affected me the most.

12. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Now it could be said that this is the game GTA3 was supposed to be, in that when characters died and missions failed it just continued. I remember when I first played this, and all my friends talked about it. We went crazy over how you could sneak into a shop at level one and steal powerful weapons and armor, and then kill the shop keepers and guards and take everything you wanted. I never really got to play it as much as I wanted at the time, because the guy at the computer store conned me into getting a video card that wasn't compatible with my computer. I was 16 at the time, and didn't know much about computers. But I had this “too good to be true” feeling afterwards. I wish I had just gone back and returned it, but I guess it was too much of a hassle and since I'd already opened it I figured they wouldn't. I probably could have gone back and yelled at the guy for selling us the wrong video card since I had gone in there knowing exactly what I wanted. A friend of mine who knew a lot about computers told me what to get that would be good for my computer, but the salesman assured me that this other card was better and would work. Man that was so discouraging at the time. I just gave up. So I never really got to fully experience Morrowind, but I never liked Oblivion or Skyrim as much.

13. Fallout: New Vegas

Along the lines of Elder Scrolls, but in a shooter environment with guns. I liked playing one life challenges, where I would try a new build and see how far I could get without dying. I came up with some interesting builds that way. My game breaking build was to max out intelligence so that I could get the maximum number of skill points, and I would have 50 stealth and get two Stealth Boys. So when you use a Stealth Boy it brings your stealth up to 100. Then I would sneak past the Death Stalkers and go straight to New Vegas where all the OP gear was. There was only one point where you couldn't get by even with 100 stealth without agroing a Death Stalker, but using the second Stealth Boy de-agroed it, so that is how I would get through. That build focused on stealth and sniper rifles. In just a few levels I could kill Death Stalkers. Oh, and I never used the auto targeting system. I mean absolutely never. I refused to use it. I just shot them the old fashioned way, by aiming. I suppose my Counter Strike skills carry over to every FPS I play.

14. Alien vs Predator

I play this on PC and Xbox, but PC is preferable. I suppose this is a combination of my Counter Strike and Black Ops Zombies skills being carried over. I play this on Nightmare as a marine and don't break a sweat. I mean, on nightmare I am very relaxed. I can go pub star in multiplayer, and just run around shooting everything in the head. It's really easy to beat Aliens because they have massive heads, and Predators are a bit slow and rely on collecting gear, but Marines can just run around with their starting gun and head shot everything, and any other weapons are just overpowered bonuses.

15. Marvel vs Capcom 2

The ultimate 2D fighter. What's to be said about this game? It's just awesome and a lot of fun to play with friends of any skill level.

Shout outs: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Soukaigi, TMNT 2: The Arcade Game, Gran Turismo, The Legend of Zelda (NES), Batman and Robin (Genesis), Star Craft: Broodwars, Battlefield 1942, Streets of Rage 2, Arcus Odyssey, Romance of the Three Kingdoms X, Cyborg Justice, Dragon Warriors III, Final Fantasy (NES), NHL 97 (SNES), Metal Warriors, Steel Battalion, Faxanadu, Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Star Wars: Battlefront 2, Pokemon Red/Blue, King of Fighters 98, Guilty Gear X2... there are so many great games.

@Kissintel Some great stuff there. You should have sent in a list!

I actually re-bought Hellgate London a few months ago, purely to have it as a curio and I'd long since lost my original discs. I mean, ultimately it's a miss but the thing had so much potential. I see a lot of it in Destiny.

DA2 seemed to be a game which was taken out of the oven before it was ready. I've never seen a big release like that reuse assets on such a scale and the battles with the constantly respawning enemies pointed to mechanics which either just didn't come together as intended or a gameplay choice they made which was pretty baffling. I thought the story structure was fine, just implemented really poorly. Still finished the game, mind.

Which is more than I can say about Inquisition...

I had VTM Bloodlines at #14, but no one else voted for it which didn't surprise me - I think it's an awesome RPG (and probably the best I've played which has a recognisably modern setting) but the barrier to entry is rather high.
It's always a hassle trying to play Bloodlines, but worth it every time. Last I read, some company was trying to remake the game with better graphics and more stories but were thwarted by the rights owners. Which is a real shame, because if any game needs fixing it's Bloodlines.

EDIT: Now I'm reading that there will be a remake. Fingers crossed.

My list:

1st - Starcraft
2nd - Rome Total War
3rd - Civilization 3
4th - Age of Empires 2
5th - Master of Orion 2
6th - Fallout
7th - Pharaoh
8th - World of Warcraft
9th - Fallout 2
10th - Crash Bandicoot
11th - C&C Red Alert 2
12th - Zeus
13th - Warcraft 3
14th - Caesar 3
15th - Alpha Centauri
16th - Freespace 2
17th - Total Annihilation
18th - Starcraft 2
19th - Anno: 1404
20th - Fallout: New Vegas
21th - Duke Nukem 3D
22th - Civilization IV
23th - Diablo 2
24th - Metal Gear Solid
25th - Master of Orion

Lots of strategy/city building games. I am surprised that no Sim City titled showed up.

It's always a hassle trying to play Bloodlines, but worth it every time. Last I read, some company was trying to remake the game with better graphics and more stories but were thwarted by the rights owners. Which is a real shame, because if any game needs fixing it's Bloodlines.

EDIT: Now I'm reading that there will be a remake. Fingers crossed.
It's perfectly playable now if you're not scared of installing a simple community patch, which fixes near enough every bug and enables the game to run on modern systems. The GOG version even comes with the patch pre-installed, because they're nice like that.

It's perfectly playable now if you're not scared of installing a simple community patch, which fixes near enough every bug and enables the game to run on modern systems. The GOG version even comes with the patch pre-installed, because they're nice like that.
The patch was a nightmare in itself sometimes, from my experience. It would be a toss up on whether it would work that day or not and even when it did the game was full of bugs. At least now it takes less steps to get there, which is a plus. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if Steam did the same thing? I got my copy there and as far as I can recall they didn't include the patch. I'll have to check. I'm suddenly in the mood to play it.

Never had a problem with the patch, and I've probably got 100+ hours in the game. I can remember there being two competing mod teams offering different forks at one time but I always went with the more popular one, which is at version 9.8 now. I've not played the game in a while but the patch used to come in two flavours, full and basic - Basic just fixed bugs (which was the one I almost always used) while full added features and content. Looking at the download page, basic and full have turned into True and Plus.

http://vtmb.wikia.com/wiki/Unofficial_Patch

I doubt if Steam would include it as they rarely curate other people's games and the studio, Troika, is long gone.

So commandos men of courage mgs3 re4 shadow of collosus football manager minesweeper winning eleven and.. contra was out of contention hmm i see.

Kidding. Nice list movo

mgs3 re4 shadow of collosus
MGS 3 made the list, it was on my list too. It was the first one on the list actually. Also had Resident Evil 4 and Shadow of the Collosus on mine, the latter at #4.