My Favourite Westerns

Tools    

There are some real good westerns out there, both from the past and the present. Some are disasterours, but others make their actors into major stars. I am not including the likes of dances with Wolves, and The last of the Mohicans because in my young perception of the " western " these are my favourites. Hence my age, the more modern films are up there, but i am not closed minded enough to forget about the greats. I know some are missing from my list, but if i kept going this thread would go on forever.

My favourite westerns are as follows, but to be honest i do believe this could be the list for the best westerns of all time anyway. In my opinion. whats do you think are the best western films of all time, or your

1) Tombstone.
2) 3:10 to Yuma.
3) The Assanation of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford.
4) The magnificent Seven.
5) American Outlaws.
6) Purgatory.
7) Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid.
8) High Noon.
9) The good, The bad, & the Ugly.
10) Shane.
11) True Grit.
12) A Fistful of Dollars.
13) Unforgiven.
12) Once upon a time in the West.
13) Open Range.
14) She wore a yellow Ribbon.
15) The outlaw Jose Wales.

There are some real good westerns out there, both from the past and the present. Some are disasterours, but others make their actors into major stars. I am not including the likes of dances with Wolves, and The last of the Mohicans because in my young perception of the " western " these are my favourites. Hence my age, the more modern films are up there, but i am not closed minded enough to forget about the greats. I know some are missing from my list, but if i kept going this thread would go on forever.

My favourite westerns are as follows, but to be honest i do believe this could be the list for the best westerns of all time anyway. In my opinion. whats do you think are the best western films of all time, or your

1) Tombstone.
2) 3:10 to Yuma.
3) The Assanation of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford.
4) The magnificent Seven.
5) American Outlaws.
6) Purgatory.
7) Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid.
8) High Noon.
9) The good, The bad, & the Ugly.
10) Shane.
11) True Grit.
12) A Fistful of Dollars.
13) Unforgiven.
12) Once upon a time in the West.
13) Open Range.
14) She wore a yellow Ribbon.
15) The outlaw Jose Wales.
It's interesting that you include She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, which is a good film, but not The Searchers, which is not only a better "cowboys and Indians" type of film but one that many consider to be the best Western ever filmed.

[quote=teamwork;425287]There are some real good westerns out there, both from the past and the present. . . . My favourite westerns are as follows, but to be honest i do believe this could be the list for the best westerns of all time anyway.

Well, I've never heard of American Outlaws and haven't yet seen the Assassination of Jesse James . . . and barely remember the basics of Purgatory, so I can't really comment on those. I thought parts of Tombstone were good--some of the elements were historically accurate and some were not. For instance, the cowboy-outlaw band that wore red sashes were a bunch up north, Wyoming I believe, and not in Arizona. I liked the original 3:10 to Yuma but thought the remake was hokey. Doesn't mean I'm right or you're wrong, just we see and judge things differently. High Noon was a good choice, although you could set that story in any time frame and any country and it would still work. Doesn't have to be town marshal vs. outlaw. Sean Connery did something of the same thing in a sci-fi film that I think was called Outland. Shane is my second favorite western, close behind The Searchers. It has more of the realistic elements that I like--fistfights that look tiring and bloody and painful, Jack Palance as the most cold-blooded gunman ever, and a fight between squatters and the big cattle baron. Open range has some of those qualities, too.

I've got a list of good Westerns in no certain order that to me seem to capture at least something of the true west:

The Big Country (1958). Pictures the plains as a place so big that one can easliy get lost, yet too small for cattlemen competing for the limited water sources. It also features a truism of the Real West--the feud between families that often accounted for much of the violence and murders. Also, the fight scene between Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston is probably the best ever filmed. Both of those boys looked like they were stiff, sore, tired and hurting by the time they finished.

Duel in the Sun (1946) This time the feud is between two brothers, lawyer Joseph Cotton who sides with the railroad and progress and cowboy outlaw Gregory Peck, a spoiled kid who's rotten at the core. Again the setting is big and epic.

That same year, Peck made another good Western, The Bravados (1958) in which he hunts down and kills 4 men who he was told raped and murdered his wife, only to learn finally that he was after the wrong suspects.

The very best vigilante film ever made, however, is The Ox-Bow Incident (1940) in which drifters Henry Fonda and Harry Morgan become members of a posse who track down and lynch three supposed cattle rustlers, despite the men's protests of innocence. It is a powerful, powerful film that is hard to watch in places.

In my opinion, the best film about a Wild West gunman is The Gunfighter in which Peck plays an aging gunfighter tired of his reputation and way of life and who wants to make one last attempt to reunite with his wife and the young son who doesn't know him. Ther are only two shootings in the whole movie but the story and drama are unsurpassed.

Another variation on the gunfighter who wants to settle down is The Lonely Man (1957) in which gunman Jack Palance learns his wife has killed herself leaving a grown son, Anthony Perkins, who knows his dad and hates him. As if that's not trouble enough, Palance is hunted by a gang headed by a man who he once shot (Neville Brand). And he's going blind.

One of the best outlaws on the run film is Yellow Sky (1949), which is really a Western adaptation of Shakespeare's The Tempest, so you can't beat the story for drama. An outlaw band led by Peck and including Richard Widmark and Harry Morgan stumble upon a a dessert ghost town in which an older miner and his granddaughter are mining for gold. The granddaughter turns out to be as tough as any of the outlaws.

Everybody likes Red River for the realism of its cattle drive, but a movie that shows the rougher side of cowpunchers on a drive is Cowboy (1958) with Jack Lemmon as the tinhorn accompanying Glenn Ford's cattle drive. Based on a book by Frank Harris (who Lemmon plays) called My Reminiscences as a Cowboy.

One film that I always felt caught the feel of the real West is Along Came Jones, in which Gary Cooper plays a wandering bronc buster who can't shoot, yet longs to become "somebody." He gets his wish when people start mistaking him for the tall and lanky gunman Monty Jarret (Dan Duryea) and becomes his rival for the winsome Lorretta Young. William Demarest plays his long suffering sidekick. It's a funny spoof of Cooper's usual Western roles, yet somehow all the more realistic for that.

Cooper is also good in the often funny The Westerner, which won Walter Brennan his third Oscar, and one of the early versions of The Virginian (1929), as well as the later The Hanging Tree (1959), in which Cooper plays a well-known gunfighter in a California mining camp full of people from around the world whose only passtime appears to be lynching evil-doers. Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin visited the same sort of city but with music and dance in Paint Your Wagon.(1969)

A more traditional Western--but only somewhat--is Vera Cruz (1954) in which Cooper, an ex-Confederate officer ruined by the Civil War, flees to Mexico where he meets outlaw Burt Lancaster who has brought his gang south to hire out as gunmen for Emperor Maximillian--until they find that the French are moving a coach filled with gold that makes a more tempting target.

Lancaster was in some great Westerns, including the very funny Hallelujah Trail, which includes Cavalry, Indians, feminists advocating temperance, barfly members of the civilian Denver Militia, all descending on a whiskey train that represents the investment of a businessman and "damn good Republican" who is also plagued by a union of Irish teamsters who are threatening to go on strike--an aspect of the Old West that is rarely explored in movies.

Lancaster also played the long-suffering Bob Valdez who teaches a local cattle baron that paybacks are hell in Valdez is Coming (1971). Lancaster also teamed up with Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan, and Woody Strode in the turn of the century Western The Professonals (1966). That film always struck me as something of a kissing-cousin to The Wild Bunch (1969).

One of my favorite Westerns and one of the most realistic in my opinon is Monte Walsh (1970) in which Lee Marvin and Jack Palance play cowboys at the end of the cowboy era when investment companies in England and New York are buying up the range land and penning up the cattle to feed and fatten them on grain instead of letting them run wild on the range.

Another film that gives some insight into the life of a working cowboy is Will Penny (1968) with Charlton Heston as a cowboy sitting out the winter in a line camp.

One of the best Westerns ever that captures the hatred between cattlemen and Indians on the West Texas frontier is The Unforgiven (1960) that stars Burt Lancaster, Audrey Hepburn, Audie Murphy, Lililan Gish, and Joseph Wiseman. What other Western can boast such an unusual cast?

Another realistic Western where a gunman only goes up against a sure thing or else ambushes his opponent from a dark alley is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962). Lee Marvin dominates John Wayne and James Stewart on the screen in that movie. And again, there's the realism of violence growing out of economic and political divisions between squatters and small businessmen and the cattle barons. You see something of the same thing in the divisions in the very funny Cat Ballou (1965) where we get to enjoy two versions of Marvin as he portrays two lethal brothers. There's another good example of avoiding going up against a better gunman in the traditional gunfight in the very funny Waterhole #3, in which Roger Miller advises "Never draw with a stranger / Especially if he's faster than you / . . . You've sung your last ditty / Kissed your last pretty / And played your last card if you do."

Glenn Ford played in a lot of good Westerns, particularly The Sheepman, which takes a new funny look at the old feud between cattlemen and sheepmen. I also liked Ford in The Fastest Gun Alive (1956) in which he plays a storekeeper with a secret--he's the son of a fast-gun lawman who taught him everything about gunfighting except the courage to face another gunman. This got his father killed when he ran from a gunfight. But then stories come to town about a new gun who has just killed the former top gun. And Ford can't resist showing the town how fast he is with a gun. But then the new top gun (Broderick Crawford in an unusual but fine role) comes to town and calls Ford out. It almost plays as a twist on High Noon, where a man has to face down his fears and do what he's gotta do.

A really unusual Western is Lust for Gold (1949) in which Ford plays Jacob "Dutch" Walz, the man who found the legendary Lost Dutchman's Mine but never revealed its location. The film flashes back and forward between what happens to Walz in the 1800s and the search for the lost mine in modern (well, late 1940s) Arizona where people have been killed while looking for the mine.

I have to say as much as i loved 3;10 to yuma, the origional prbably stole it, as i tohught it took a little too long to get into altohugh i still love it. But American Outlaws - it was Colin farrel and Ali larter, cant believe you havent heard of it, and as for Purgatory, it was where all the old gun fighters of the west went to purgatory - there was Jesse James, Billy the kid, wild bill etc, so it was an interseting film that made you think.

I bought the American Outlaws DVD when it first came out so my 15 year old cousin (who was staying with me at the time) could drool over Colin… and if I had to place it in a category, it would not be on a best westerns list…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Yeah, Tombstone and American Outlaws are horrible movies, Western or otherwise. And Purgatory is watchable for a quickie made-for-TNT cheapie, but while the set-up is interesting the pay-off is obvious and drawn out. If those three movies are in someone's top fifteen I'd guess they've only seen about fifteen Westerns total.

As for some existing threads on Westerns, we had a good discussion about the Western canon a while back in THIS thread, especially on the second and third pages. And while THIS one hasn't been added to since 2005, it's pretty decent and has much good chatter on the genre and plenty of lists.

"Who's the fella owns this shithole?"
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

All the Westerns that I've seen so far from The Western list have been pretty damn good.

3:10 to Yuma
i love this one

I have to say as much as i loved 3;10 to yuma, the origional prbably stole it, as i tohught it took a little too long to get into altohugh i still love it. But American Outlaws - it was Colin farrel and Ali larter, cant believe you havent heard of it, and as for Purgatory, it was where all the old gun fighters of the west went to purgatory - there was Jesse James, Billy the kid, wild bill etc, so it was an interseting film that made you think.
Yeah, I vaguely remember everyone in town was dead (except apparently the hero who I guess was hovering between good and evil. All I recall for sure is that when someone broke the rules, this old Indian would gather them up and take them to the mist-shrouded cemetery.

Yeah, Tombstone and American Outlaws are horrible movies, Western or otherwise. And Purgatory is watchable for a quickie made-for-TNT cheapie, but while the set-up is interesting the pay-off is obvious and drawn out. If those three movies are in someone's top fifteen I'd guess they've only seen about fifteen Westerns total.

As for some existing threads on Westerns, we had a good discussion about the Western canon a while back in THIS thread, especially on the second and third pages. And while THIS one hasn't been added to since 2005, it's pretty decent and has much good chatter on the genre and plenty of lists.

"Who's the fella owns this shithole?"
One film I just thought of that I'm surprised no one else has mentioned before now--There Was a Crooked Man, with Kirk Douglas and Henry Fonda both playing against their usual western types, also with Warren Oates. Even featured some folks that certainly existed in the Old West but are rarely featured in Western film--an Oriental criminal and a homosexual couple. It's not the calibre of High Noon, but a good little Western nonetheless.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The problem is that this is not the right thread to check out for what people think. There are links above to other Western threads.

P.S. So, rufnek, you have no favorite movies you can put in your Profile and don't bother to do the lists at all so we can see some of what you've seen?

The problem is that this is not the right thread to check out for what people think. There are links above to other Western threads.

P.S. So, rufnek, you have no favorite movies you can put in your Profile and don't bother to do the lists at all so we can see some of what you've seen?
I don't understand--I did an entry in this debate (as I recall, about the third entry at the start of the whole thing) in which I mentioned 32 westerns and made some comment about most of them. In other debates in this forum, I know I've listed war films and love stories and movies about historic events. I've even listed some films about monsters and alien invaders, although those are not my favorite genres. And I've also discussed several gangster films.

However, it is difficult for me to construct a list of my favorite, second favorite, 3rd favorite, etc. film. Starting the list is easy:

1. Citizen Kane

But I don't know where to go from that. Do I pick Detective Story over Best Days of Our Lives, or Marty over The Searchers? Is Singing in the Rain a better film than The General? Is Psycho more interesting than Chicago? Is Bette Davis better in Jezebel or in All About Eve? Which was Bogart's best role--Casablanca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, or The Caine Mutiny? How does High Sierra compare with the Western remake Colorado Territory? Does Audrey Hepburn get progressively better in Roman Holiday, Wait Until Dark, and Two for the Road? And how does she compare with Lillian Gish who plays her mother in The Unforgiven? Is Burt Lancaster better as a gymnist in The Crimson Pirate and Trapeze, or as a con-man in Elmer Gantry, the role he seemed born to play? Who plays the coldest killer—Cagney as Cody Jarrett in White Heat, Bogart as Duke Mantee in Petrified Forest, Widmark as Tommy Udo in Kiss of Death, Jack Palance as the gunman Wilson in Shane, or Nicholson as The Joker in Batman? How can one compare the collective works of movie rebels like John Garfield, Marlon Brando, Montgomery Clift, and James Dean? And what about all the off-the-wall-films like Mars Attacks, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Red Garters, The Rocky Horror Picture Show and the Attack of the Killer Tomatoes?

So you see my problem--I've got one favorite and a whole stewpot of second choices, in which my interests vary from day to day with my moods.

And no, I never filled out the profile; didn't think anyone ever read those things. Besides, I seem to tick off too many people in this forum as is.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The lists I'm talking about are the ones you can access at the top of every page, slightly to the right of center. If you click it, you can mark which films on each of the lists you've seen. There is a western list among them. You can also just list Citizen Kane as your #1 film and maybe add others later. Links to these favorites and lists will appear on every one of your posts.

For what it's worth, here's a list of the DVDs I own:

3 Godfathers
After the Fox
Alfie
All the King's Men (1949)
Americanization of Emily, The
Angel and the Bad Man
Asphalt Jungle
Attack
Big Easy
Big Fish
Big Lebowski, The
Brigadoon
Calendar Girls
Captain Blood
Casablanca
Cat Ballou
Christmas Story, A
Citizen Kane
Crime of Passion
Dark Passage
Dead Reckoning
Desk Set
Detective Story
Devil Wears Prada, The
Dodge City
Don Juan De Marco
Edward Sissorhands
Finding Nemo
Five Card Stud
Flawless
Four Weddings and a Funeral
From Here to Eternity
Gettysburg
Giant
Glenn Miller Story, The
Gone With the Wind
Grand Hotel
Great Escape, The
Gun Crazy
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
High and the Mighty, The
High Noon
Horse Soldiers, The
Italian Job, The (1969)
Jungle Book, The
Kentuckian, The
King and I, The
Lady and the Tramp
Ladykillers, The (1955)
Lavender Hill Mob, The
Lawrence of Arabia
Lord of the Rings, 3 volumes
Love Actually
Magnificient Seven, The
Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The
Marry Poppins
Mars Attacks
Men of Respect
Miller's Crossing
Mister Roberts
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Moulin Rouge (1952)
Muppet Christmas Carol, The
Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
Murder, My Sweet
My Darling Clementine
My Favorite Year
My Man Godfrey
Night of the Hunter, The
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Out of the Past
Polar Express, The
Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The
Road to Perdition
Roaring Twenties, The
Scrooge
Sea Hawk, The
Set-up, The
Shane
Something to Sing About
Stranger than Fiction
Temptations, The
They Died With Their Boots On
They Drive by Night
Thief
Things Change
This Gun for Hire
Time of your Life, The
Tin Star, The
Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The
Unconditional Love
Waterhole #3
Wind and the Lion, The
Young Frankenstein
Zulu

And here are the films I have on VHS. Between these two lists, you know more than you ever cared to about my taste in movies:

3:10 to Yuma (1956)
7th Cavalry
12 O’Clock High
36 Hours
20,000 Years in Sing Sing
Abilene Town
Adam’s Rib
African Queen, The
After the Thin Man
Another Thin Man
Aladdin, Walt Disney
Along Came Jones
Angel on My Shoulder
Angels in the Outfield (1951)
Angels with Dirty Faces
Apollo 13
Babe
Bad Day at Black Rock
Band of Angels
Batman
Battle Cry
Battleground
Beauty and the Beast, Walt Disney
Beneath the Twelve Mile Reef
Best Years of Our Lives
Between Heaven and Hell
Big Country, The
Big Sleep, The
Birth of a Nation
Blackboard Jungle
Blackmail
Blade Runner, the Director’s Cut
Blob, The (1958)
Blonde Crazy
Blood on the Sun
Blood Simple
Blue Dahlia
Boom Town
Branded
Brother Orchid
Caine Mutiny, The
Call It Murder
Camelot
Charade
Chariots of Fire
Cowboy
Crimson Pirate, The
Criss Cross
Das Boot the Director’s Cut
Dead End
Decision at Sundown
Desperate Hours, The (1955)
Doolins of Oklahoma, The
Double Indemnity
Dr. Strangelove
Each Dawn I Die
Eagle Has Landed, The
Enforcer, The
Fantasia
Farewell to Arms, A
Fastest Gun Alive, The
Father’s Little Dividend (1951)
Field of Dreams
Fish Called Wanda, A
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Force of Evil
Forrest Gump
Fried Green Tomatoes
Friendly Persuasion
Full Monty, The
G-Men
General, The
Glass Key, The
Godfather, The
Godfather Part II, The
Goodbye Girl, The
Goodfellows
Great Guy
Gunfighter, The
Hail the Conquering Hero
Hallelujah Trail, The
Hangman’s Knot
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
Hell to Eternity
High Sierra
Hill, The
His Girl Friday
Hondo
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
Hudsucker Proxy, The
I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang
I Love You to Death
Inherit the Wind
Into the West
Johnny Apollo
Jubal
Keeper of the Flame
Key Largo
Killers, The (1946)
Killers, The (1964)
Kiss of Death
Last Hurrah, The
Last Mile, The
Last of the Mohicans, The (1992)
Little Big Man
Lonely Man, The
Long Riders, The
Longest Day, The
Macbeth
Made for Each Other
Maltese Falcon, The
Man in the Saddle
Man of La Mancha
Man Who Would Be King, The
Man with the Golden Arm, The
Manchurian Candidate (1962)
Manhattan Melodrama
Mazie
Moby Dick (1956)
Monte Walsh
Naked Prey, The
Next Voice You Hear, The
Ocean’s 11 (1960)
One, Two, Three
On Borrowed Time
Our Town
Outrage, The
Ox-Bow Incident, The
Paint Your Wagon
Pal Joey
Paths of Glory
Penny Serenade
Peter Pan, Walt Disney’s
Petrified Forest, The
Pocketful of Miracles
Posse (1975)
Pride of the Bowery
Princess Bride, The
Prizzi’s Honor
Professionals, The
Public Enemy
Quiet Man, The
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Rainmaker, The
Rebel without a Cause
Red Garters
Red House, The
Red River
Retreat Hell
Ride Clear of Diablo
Ride Lonesome
Ride the Blue Pony
Rio Grande
Riot in Cell Block 11
Robin and the 7 Hoods
Royal wedding
Sands of Iwo Jima
Santa Fe Trail
Scarlet Street
Scrooge
Searchers, The
Seven Year Itch, The
Shadow of the Thin Man
Shawshank Redemption, The
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Shirley Valentine
Silverado
Singing in the Rain
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Walt Disney
Song of the Thin Man
Steel Helmet, The
Stranger, The
Suddenly
Sunset Boulevard
Swing High, Swing Low
Take the Money and Run
Tall T, The
Ten Wanted Men
They Came to Cordura
They Made Me a Criminal
Thin Man, The
Thin Man Goes Home, The
Time of Your Life
Trapeze
Tremors
Two for the Road
Undercurrent
Unforgiven, The (1960)
Valdez is Coming
Vera Cruz
Walk in the Sun, A
Waterloo
White Heat
Wild Bunch, The
Wild One, The
Wolfman, The
Woman of the Year
Yellow Sky

Movie Forums Extra
I really loved Unforgiven. The cinematography was really good, and it had a great plot. Not to mention the actors did a really good job.

My favourite Westerns are Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, The Unforgiven, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, and the new 3:10 To Yuma.

So many good movies, so little time.
I'm pretty excited.

Budd Boetticher Ranown Cycle (Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome, Comanche Station) featuring Randolph Scott has finally come to DVD.

Ranown Cycle

5 great movies (you can also get a 6th from the Cycle, Seven Men from Now as a seperate DVD)

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

I'm pretty excited.

Budd Boetticher Ranown Cycle (Tall T, Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome, Comanche Station) featuring Randolph Scott has finally come to DVD.

Ranown Cycle

5 great movies (you can also get a 6th from the Cycle, Seven Men from Now as a [separate DVD])
Yup, I own the new set as well as Seven Men from Now. The boxed set also includes the excellent TCM documentary "Budd Boetticher: A Man Can Do That" from a few years back. I also have two of his Noirs on DVD: Behind Locked Doors and The Killer is Loose.