Kevin Smith (how do you feel about him)

Tools    

I know there are a few threads on him already but they are all from about 4 to 5 years ago so I just wanted to make a new thread on him.

How do you guys feel about his movies? I personaly love his movies they always make me laugh and think.

Clerks is and has been my all time favorite comedy for a long time. I just love everything about this movie. It may not have the biggest budget or the most impressive camera work. but the great dialogue and situations the characters are put it in is just hilarious. While i have never worked in a convenience store I can still sort of relate to the movie. Just sitting around with my friends talking about mindless pop culture.

Mallrats, while it isnt near Clerks really isnt as bad as many many critics made it out to be upon its release. Its pretty much a fun movie to just sit back and watch when your bored. Brodie is a great character and its the first time we see Jay and Silent Bob doing all their running around instead of just staying in one spot like in clerks. A decent follow up to his first film but nothing great

Chasing Amy may not be as funny as his other movies but is a great romance story. Ben Affleck plays his part suprisingly well as well as the rest of the cast. Its not suprising that Jason Lee's role of Banky is alot like Brodie from Mallrats since his character was the best part of Mallrats. Jay and Silent bob only make a brief appearence in this movie but Silent bob's speech really plays a big role in the plot. My favorite part of this movie is the ending just because it doesn't end like a typical love story.

Dogma is my second favorite film Kevin has made. It surronded by controversy started by church goers and the church itself. you really need to just watch this movie and enjoy it for what iit is and thats a fictional comedy about the catholic religion. Its a great story and really funny. watch it, enjoy it and don't take it too seriously.

Jay and Silent bob Strike Back is definitly my least favorite of all his movies. the same jay and silent bob humor is here but in the other movies you would get their dick and fart jokes as a little comic relief from whats actualy going on in the story. but now they are the main character so Smith really could only use one type of comedy and thats what came out. an entire movie about farting and sex. It does have funny moments but just isn't that good. I did like however how it had alot of characters from his previous movies in it.

Jersey Girl is his first movie outside the jay and silent bob universe. I watched this with low expectations and I loved it. its not very original and its pretty predictable but once again Kevins writing makes it really good. I don't know what it was about it but this movie really affected me I was crying like a 4 year old girl who fell off her bike. Kevin made this movie about fatherhood as a tribute to his dad who died two years ago. while it does have alot of the same humor he uses it really shows a more mature side of Kevin and I for one liked it.

So as you can see I really love this guys movies and hope he continues to make them even if he ends the view askew universe with Clerks II. I do love how mos tof his movies are loosely connected but I wouldn't mind a few more movies like Jersey Girl from him. although I doubt it since im pretty sure Jersey Girl flopped and many of his fans turned on him for making that movie.

I am Jack's sense of overused quote
I agree with everything except Jersey Girl.

Originally Posted by gohansrage
I agree with everything except Jersey Girl.
Cause of Ben Affleck ? Seriously, Kevin is very talented. I for one wanted so much to see his version Superman on the big screen. That would've been freakin' sweet.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I think he's a terriffic writer, and a so-so director.
He's also an awesome speaker. If you haven't seen An Evening With Kevin Smith, let me recommend it.

His movies are okay. Dogma is probably my favorite, with Clerks a close second.

You're probably just better off listening to his commentary tracks on the DVDs, though. They're usually a lot funnier than the flicks themselves.

I would have to agree with most of the things on here. I would say Clerks is my favorite out of all the movies, and I can't wait for Clerks II next week. I didn't like Jersey Girl very much, but it wasn't a horrible movie, and it was good to see Kevin move away from the movies that he knows all Jay and Silent Bob fans will go see. I hope to see more from Kevin Smith in the future, because I think his work is great.
"You smell that? Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory."

-
Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
I agree with Sammy. Clerks was my all-time favorite. The dialogue in that movie is amazing. An Evening with Kevin Smith was hilarious, I have seen it 3 times.

District B13
Yeah, I love him. I've heard people complain about his directing his skills but all of his films are well acted and well shot in my opinion.

Also, An Evening with Kevin Smith was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. Unfortunately, I didn't learn a single important thing from it.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I've seen Clerks and Dogma, and i'd have to agree with the so-so directing thing. He just seems to plonk the camera down and leave it at that, for the most part. It affected Dogma more of the two tho - Clerks stands up on its own chatty merits.

I also agree an Evening with Kevin Smith is one of the funniest things he has ever done. I love to listen to him speak because its always hilarious or intresting. Also an Evening with Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder is comming out in a few months. it another 3 hour plus movie just like the first one I am more excited about that than i am about Clerks II

www.forumninja.com
I think he's highly overrated but still very talented. He has a good sense for directing comedic timing. Dogma is my fave of his, with Clerks close behind.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
I loved Clerks, and An Evening with Kevin Smith, he is a very funny guy, but the majority of his movies have sucked in my opinion, the humour is way to obvious and I always feel cheated by the end.
Hated Dogma, Chasing Amy, and couldn't even watch more than 30 mins of Mallrats, so although I'm no expert, I feel I've given him a fair try.
Clerks 2 looks crap, but anything with Rosaria Dawson gets my cash!!!!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Welcome to the human race...
Clerks is a big favourite of mine, and I don't mind the other ones (except Chasing Amy).

I also can't wait for Clerks 2.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
well telling from the pictures hes quite a looker.

great director, awsome writer and a very cool dude

i met him number of times on conventions hes an awsome guy

cant wait for Clerks 2

So who else plans on seeing Clerks II this weekend, Even though Im not old enough by a few months I still plan on sneeking in because Im very excited to see how this turns out.

Originally Posted by The Taxi Driver
So who else plans on seeing Clerks II this weekend, Even though Im not old enough by a few months I still plan on sneeking in because Im very excited to see how this turns out.

Sh*t, I forgot it was coming out. Of course I'm seeing it, Clerks is sweet and there's no way I ain't missing Jay and Silent Bob

Bad Morther****er
I think his obviously an intelligent person. He really has some interesting ideas running throughout his films. However, he loses me with all the Star Wars references and the childish dick and fart jokes. His writing could be so much better than it is. In terms of his directing, I don't think it's as bad as some of you make it out to be. He's an adequate director; not great but he's serviceable. To his credit, his movies are the only ones that Affleck is even decent in; I actually liked him in Dogma.

The thing you really have to like about Smith is that he's a great talker. He's funny and smart without being so sophomoric. His love for movies and comics also comes through without him sounding like a complete fanboy. I'd love to sit down and talk with him , not so much sit down with his films.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

So to anyone who saw Clerks II, who thinks his next movie should officially for the 2nd time not be in the view askew univeres like Jersey Girl. I think the end to Clerks II put alot better closure on his characters than Jay and Bob Strike Back did. By ending it with the characters who started it Dante and Randell. I hope to see a more mature movie out of him next, not that I want it to be completly void of his immature sense of humor (Dick and Fart Jokes as Smith likes to refer to that type of comedy) but I love when his movies have more meaning and sometimes make you think (chasing amy, Dogma, Jersey Girl). What kind of film do you guys wanna see next from Kevin?