The Movie Forums Top 100 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

Make sure to check out some 80s HORROR FILMS!

Had a Fangoria Horror Video Magazine show up in the Mail!!!

(That's me. Yes)

Viewings So Far, Seeking A Fun Preparation Phase For Our New List

Night Of The Demons (1988) ------------------------
6.0 / 10
Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter - (1984)
+ 6.5 / 10
The Vampire Lovers (1970) -------------------------
7.0 / 10
Twins Of Evil (1971) ----------------------------------
+ 7.5 / 10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fangoria 2018.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	50239  

I did today, Nostromo. I revisited Day of the Dead. I always liked it but holy crap, I really loved it this time.

Aesthetically, I didn’t like it. It felt like a cheap knockoff of a film. It lacked passion. It exists just to collect money from nostalgic fans.
I'd say the ONE thing the film did not lack was passion.
Where was the passion to get stuff more CORRECT? That film was wildly different in tone from the original Halloween. It was more like a Saw movie than Halloween.

I thought they said the film was like the first one? I didn’t feel/see that. Even John Carpenter’s new score sucked. If they had any passion, it went in the wrong direction. Sorry, but I didn’t feel enamored by this movie. I had high expectations that they would deliver something spectactular. What I saw was maybe only better than Halloween: Resurrection.

I hope people check out Ouija: Origin of Evil. Criminally underseen and underrated film. Ignore the first one but check this one out.
I'll rewatch it as at the time, I might not have been in the mood for it. I remember wanting to rewatch Witchboard aftewards.

They've tried to make a Myers-focused direct sequel to the first Halloween three times and failed each time in my opinion. Hint hint: complicating the simplicity of the first by continuing the story is not a good idea and is likely to fail artistically. But sure, Hollywood, let's keep trying. We still need a Halloween: Part 2, and then a Halloween, Episode II. If that doesn't work, you can try Halloween: The Second.

Here's some not so commonly thought of 80s Throwback Horror Film Gems, an imaginative time for movies, below included in the Top 300 or so from the site my superchill superfreak buddy @Captain Spaulding linked to for referrals.

The website They Shoot Zombies, Don't They? might be of use to some of you. It's modeled after They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?, the invaluable resource that attempts to list the 1000 greatest films by piling together reputable lists from a multitude of institutions, filmmakers and critics, except They Shoot Zombies attempts to list the 1000 greatest horror movies. I don't pay any attention to the rankings and there's plenty of "really?!" entries, but the list is still a useful resource for both die-hard fans of the genre and the uninitiated.

The Changeling (1980)
The Howling (1981)
The Beyond (1981)
Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
Possession (1981)
Pet Semetary (1989)
Fright Night (1985)
Santa Sangre (1989)
Tenebre (1982)
Demons (1985)
The Serpent And The Rainbow (1988)
The Dead Zone (1983)
Maniac (1980)
Dead Ringers (1988)
Opera (1987)
Scanners (1981)
Inferno (1980)
The Company Of Wolves (1984)

Prince Of Darkness (1987)
Phenomena (1985)
The Hunger (1983)
My Bloody Valentine (1981)
Night Of The Creeps (1986)
The Blob (1988)
Angel Heart (1987)
Sleepaway Camp (1983)
The Entity (1982)
Basket Case (1982)
Halloween II (1981)
The Stepfather (1987)
Christine (1983)
Night Of The Comet (1984)
From Beyond (1986)

WARNING: "More Outright 80s Hits" spoilers below
The Fly (1986)
Poltergeist (1982)
Friday The 13th (1980)
Hellraiser (1987)
Videodrome (1983)
Re-Animator (1985)
The Return Of The Living Dead (1985)
Day Of The Dead (1985)
The Shining (1980)
The Thing (1982)
The Evil Dead (1981)
Evil Dead II (1987)
An American Werewolf In London (1981)
A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
Near Dark (1987)
The Lost Boys (1987)
Creepshow (1982)
Child's Play (1988)
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
They Live (1988)

Attachments

Name:	Possession 1981.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	50241   Click image for larger version

Name:	NightOfTheDemons88.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	50242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Creepshow2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	50243  

Oh yeah, Sleepaway Camp.

Definitely check out Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers and Sleepaway Camp 3: Teenage Wasteland.

Bruce Springsteen’s sister, Pamela, plays Angela, a transgender killer.

And see Creepshow 2. “The Raft” segment is STILL one of the scariest things I have ever seen in my life. These college students go to a lake and an oily substance in the water attacks them and decomposes their bodies. That movie deserves to be on this list for that part alone.

Sleepaway Camp is trash. But I liked Slumber Party Massacre.
I don’t care much for the first Sleepaway Camp, but parts 2 & 3 are hysterical.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I think 2 is the best. Was not a fan of the original.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
Where was the passion to get stuff more CORRECT? That film was wildly different in tone from the original Halloween. It was more like a Saw movie than Halloween.

I thought they said the film was like the first one? I didn’t feel/see that. Even John Carpenter’s new score sucked. If they had any passion, it went in the wrong direction. Sorry, but I didn’t feel enamored by this movie. I had high expectations that they would deliver something spectactular. What I saw was maybe only better than Halloween: Resurrection.
It's like the first in that it is also called Halloween.

But seriously, as much as it pains me to say it it's like the Halloween version of Jurassic World - surface-level lip-service to the source's greatness (albeit in a really condescending way) while struggling to add anything of worth to it that doesn't look like it's geared towards easily appeasing jaded audiences (though I'd still say Halloween was better in this regard). Also, it's pretty easy to be better than Resurrection (Curse excepted).

I think 2 is the best. Was not a fan of the original.
The first Sleepaway Camp movie leaves a very eerie and eff-ed up impression mostly bc of that bizarre mother lady, loved Pt 2 when I watched it in my slasher thread this year.

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers is great (and better than the new movie) if you watch the Producer’s Cut.

I still say we should do a countdown of ALL SEQUELS.

Part 2’s, 3’s, 4’s, 5’s, 6’s, etc.

Everything but the original movie allowed.

Maybe it’s a countdown I could host someday.

Speaking of 80s I might as well list some criminally underrated films from that magnificent decade that weren't in Nostromo's previous post (I think).

In a Glass Cage (1986)
Poison for the Fairies (1984)
City of the Living Dead (1980)
The Slayer (1982)
Antropophagus (1980)
Spasms (1983)
Razorback (1984)

All these have been in contention for my top-50 horrors (which probably means most of the other people will hate them).

Welcome to the human race...
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers is great (and better than the new movie) if you watch the Producer’s Cut.
Here was my review (of the Producer's Cut, no less). And yes,I did review all the others while I was at it. Enjoy.

I still say we should do a countdown of ALL SEQUELS.

Part 2’s, 3’s, 4’s, 5’s, 6’s, etc.

Everything but the original movie allowed.

Maybe it’s a countdown I could host someday.

I was thinking about this the other day... think I might have posted about it but can't remember.

What happens with stuff like the MCU or Hobbit LOTR series?
I mean, technically Fellowship Of The Ring, which is the first of the LOTR movies, is in fact the 4th of the series overall when put with the Hobbit movies.

MCU would be tough... Iron Man was the first movie made, but technically Captain America is chronologically the first movie.
Captain Marvel is looking as being set before America as well...

What about Alien?
It would be eligible.
Prometheus and Covenant are set before Alien... and Covenant would be eligible too, and it is based after Prometheus.

A sequels list would be so stupidly regulated, that nobody would want to do it.

Concerning the Halloween talk, @Swan @Jase @Iroquois

Halloween 4: The Return Of Michael Myers (1988) is enjoyable. Yea the mask is jacked up, making it feel like a cheap slasher movie- Even better I say. Another thing I've thought about, this list idea is starting around Christmas time, which could feel out of place. At the same time, I can't count how many times people I know are making Christmas innuendos already at Halloween time, so Halloween invading Christmas is like some kind of karmic party occurrence. There are a lot of Christmas Horror movies too, such as Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984). @Jase talking about Halloween 5: The Revenge Of Michael Myers (1989) makes me want to watch it, I've only seen it once late at night at my beach house a few years ago.

Attachments

Name:	Halloween 4.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	50247  

The first Sleepaway Camp is one of my faves. I didn't like the sequels first time I saw them, but they have grown on me. Good kills, that series.