Best Films of 2010

→ in
Tools    

maybe it isn't Nolan's last hope , but Inception comes close for Nolan because Inception made millions and it was original. He should have had something for Memento , but he was just starting out at the time. Maybe he will have future chances , but with these two films , its only right he deserves something now or for The Dark Knight Rises.
An Oscar means jack *****. A great film doesn't need such an award in order for film lovers and critics to applaud it. Why does Nolan need an Oscar? His latest two films have grossed excellent numbers domestically and abroad + they have received almost universal critical acclaim. How exactly would an Oscar raise his profile?

Scorsese didn't get an Oscar until The Departed; Pacino didn't get one until Scent of a Woman; Hitchcock never got one. Their legacies aren't hurt by it.

Screw the Oscars. They're just a charade.

From your list i found The Social Network , Black Swan , Inception and Tron Legacy to be the best ones along with the movie which you forgot to mention i.e. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

An Oscar means jack *****. A great film doesn't need such an award in order for film lovers and critics to applaud it. Why does Nolan need an Oscar? His latest two films have grossed excellent numbers domestically and abroad + they have received almost universal critical acclaim. How exactly would an Oscar raise his profile?

Scorsese didn't get an Oscar until The Departed; Pacino didn't get one until Scent of a Woman; Hitchcock never got one. Their legacies aren't hurt by it.

Screw the Oscars. They're just a charade.
Great post and I definitely agree with you but I can't help to point out Hitchcock got an Oscar for his first American feature, Rebecca.

For anyone in the UK with Sky Arts, they used to show Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary quite a lot. I'm guessing they've still got the rights to show it, so keep an eye out for it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Great post and I definitely agree with you but I can't help to point out Hitchcock got an Oscar for his first American feature, Rebecca.
Hi, Badge! You aren't going to the Rose Bowl, are you? Hitch's Rebecca did win an Oscar, but producer David O. Selznick won it, giving him two in a row, after the previous year's GWTW.

Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary. Just saying.
Sure, it's a cool flick. I wonder how it might compare to/contrast with this year's The Black Swan...

Please keep in mind that the lists The Best Films of 2010 , Must-see Films of 2010 below are subject to be modified since I haven't seen ALL movies in 2010!

The Best Films of 2010

The Fighter
Black Swan
True Grit
Tron Legacy
Machete
Inception
The Ghost Writer
Kick Ass
Salt
Shutter Island
The Social Network
The Town
Unstoppable
The Expendables
The Other Guys
Due Date
You Don't Know Jack

Must-see Films of 2010

127 Hours
Blue Valentine
Despicable Me
How to Train your Dragon
The King's Speech
Nowhere Boy
Cyrus
Waiting for Superman
Tangled
The Last Exorcism
The American

The Worst Films of 2010

Edge of Darkness
Just Wright
The Losers
Repo Men
How Do You Know?
Skyline
The Wolfman
Little Fockers
The Karate Kid (2010)

Middle of the Road

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
The Tourist
Red
Knight & Day
Get Him to the Greek
Hot Tub Time Machine
Date Night
Easy A
Brooklyn's Finest
Disappearance of Alice Creed
Grown Ups
City Island

2010 Best Movies

1: The Town
2: Iron Man 2
3: Conviction
4: The Book of Eli
5: Unstoppable
6: Inception
7: Get Low
8: Restrepo
9: The Fighter
10: The King’s Speech

2010 Worst Movies

1: Piranha 3D *
2: Skyline *
3: MacGruber * (Record Worst 3 In A Year)
4: Jonah Hex
5: Dinner For Schmucks
6: Grown Ups
7: Eat Pray Love
8: Cop Out
9: The Losers
10: Clash of the Titans

2010 Most Overrated
Kick Ass
The Social Network
Black Swan

2010 Most Underrated
From Paris With Love
The A-Team
Secretariat
Country Strong

Overall Year Grade (B)

I'm not old, you're just 12.
My personal favorites (in no particular order) of 2010:

-Machete
-The Social Network
-Kick Ass
-Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World
-The A-Team
-MacGruber (yes, MacGruber. It made me laugh my @ss off)
-Iron Man 2
-The Expendables
-Get Him to the Greek
-The Town

(keep in mind, I haven't seen True Grit yet, but I have a feeling I will love it. I am enjoying the original novel very much.)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Top Ten Films of 2010

10. How to Train Your Dragon

A nice surprise, I didn't expect much from this one but went anyone because a friend of mine raved about it. It was entertaining and manages to be one of the better animated films from Dreamworks.

9. Shutter Island

Even though I went in knowing the ending from the trailer, this film did not disappoint. Scorsese dives into one of my favourite genres and makes a good spine tingler.

8. Scott Pilgrim VS The World

Hyper kinetic and faithful to the source material. The perfect match for Edgar Wright and piece that shines a light on Canada.

7. Barney's Version

A Canadian film that doesn't disappoint. It's heartfelt and endearing. Giamatti is great in this role and continues to prove why he is a great actor that deserves more recognition.

6. The Town

Ben Affleck showed us what he was capable of doing behind the camera with his first effort, this time he proved to us it was not a fluke. The Town boasts good performances and dedicated peoples to the craft.

5. Black Swan

Beautiful dancing, striking horror and an unnerving experience that says with you for days. Portman shines in the lead role and gives the role her all.

4. The Fighter

Bale is magnificent in the role of the crack addicted brother to Mark Walhberg. Melissa Leo shines as their mother who tries to do good but is actually harming the family. The film is not really about boxing, but more about the family behind this particular story.

3. Toy Story 3

I didn't think it could be possible, a third film in a series that is more than a decade old. Pixar did it though, they managed to bring heart, adventure and fun back to the hearts of those who loved the original and those who weren't even born yet.

2. The Social Network

How could a film about a guy who makes a popular website be any good? Let Sorkin write the script and Fincher direct. While this was not my favourite film of the year, it will most likely win the best picture awards, something that I can live with.

1. Inception

Leave it to Nolan to give us the film of the year. Despite the concept being multi-layered and taking you to another realm of 'reality' the film is pretty easy to follow and gives you an ending that sparks debate.

Honorable Mentions: Kick Ass, The Kids Are Alright, Buried, Easy A.

The Worst Of 2010

10. Shrek Forever After

A film that is totally unnecessary. A WHAT IF, type film that is a pure cash cow and an attempt to make right what was wrong with the third film.

9. Unrivaled

A poor man's Rocky. Poor acting, writing, direction and nudity for the sake of it. If I weren't in it, it'd be a little bit lower.

8. A Nightmare on Elm Street

All this film is about are the jump scares. Even the new take on Freddy is a tad hollow.

7. Alice in Wonderland

I figured this was a perfect match: project & director. Yet what Burton gave us was a shallow film that has too much going on and not enough substance. It didn't help that the lead actress was more wooden than a plank.

6. Hereafter

The film that tries so hard and fails in so many places. Out of the three stories it tells, only one is interesting and the film as whole goes around in circles with no clear indication of what it wants.

5. Grown Ups

With such a funny cast, how is it that the film doesn't invoke laughter? Sandler is playing to the dumb crowd and making millions.

4. And Soon The Darkness

I checked this one out because I like Karl Urban and I thought the premise would be entertaining enough for 90 minutes. Karl Urban's character is useless and the film is full of cliches and bad acting. Even with moderate to low expectations the film will disappoint.

3. Dinner For Schmucks

The film just wasn't funny, not at all. Paul Rudd was the straight man, with Carell doing all the funny. A couple smirks from the supporting comedic players is not enough for this unfunny film.

2. A Serbian Film

Total garbage, no artistic merit and vomit inducing. Don't even watch it because you want to see how far they go, the film is simply stupid.

1. Jonah Hex

What a piece of garbage. The film is 80 some odd minutes with 8 to 10 minutes of credits. It had no idea what it wanted to be, instead it's a poor man's Wild Wild West. When Wild Wild West is a better film, you know you're in trouble.

More Bad Films: The Expendables, Altitude, Get Him To The Greek, Smokin Aces 2, Resident Evil: Afterlife.

Suspect's Reviews

1. 127 Hours
2. Inception
3. The Social Network
4. True Grit
5. The Fighter
6. The King's Speech
7. Shutter Island
8. Black Swan
9. Stone
10. Robin Hood (Which I didn't like much)

TUS, how did you manage to sit through those 10 crap films? Surely you could see going in that they were going to suck? Though I will concede that I could see Hereafter may have something to it, but I still expect it to be pretentious, preachy, "all you need is love" crap. That said, I'd also throw in Scott Pilgrim VS The World, too, but I can at least see why someone might like it.

"Live forever or die trying"
not much of a comedy/drama person when it comes to movies but the social network blew my thoughts out of the water and Easy A wasn't half bad. Thx for the reviews/opinions.