PRESENTING: Movie Forums' Top 100 Movies, Starring You!

→ in
Tools    

Everyone who wants to participate by turning in a list needs to sign on in the

MoFo Top 100 Movies, Part III

thread... and I hope all of you decide to make one....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Welcome to the human race...
Because I'm bored...

100) The Station Agent B
99) Blue Velvet B+
98) Midnight Cowboy A-
97) Taxi Driver A-
96) Clerks II B-
95) Requiem for a Dream B
94) Platoon C
93) Short Cuts N/A
92) The Wizard of Oz N/A
91) Ran B+
90) Lost in Translation C
89) Terminator 2 B-
88) Magnolia B
87) Pan's Labyrinth B
86) Twelve Monkeys B+
85) Wonder Boys B+
84) Breakfast at Tiffany's N/A
83) Arsenic and Old Lace B
82) O Brother, Where Art Thou? B-
81) Show Me Love B-
80) The Departed C-
79) Ratatouille D+
78) The Blues Brothers A+
77) Chasing Amy C+
76) Dogma C
75) Dial M for Murder B
74) Vertigo B-
73) Young Frankenstein B
72) Schindler's List B-
71) Raging Bull B+
70) The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly A
69) Forrest Gump C+
68) The Incredibles B+
67) Evil Dead II A-
66) Master and Commander: Far Side of the World C+
65) Groundhog Day B-
64) Blazing Saddles C+
63) Singin' in the Rain B
62) No Country for Old Men B+
61) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest B
60) Withnail & I A+
59) The Usual Suspects B
58) Se7en A-
57) The Godfather II A
56) The Treasure of Sierra Madre B+
55) Donnie Darko B-
54) Brazil A-
53) Akira A+
52) Raising Arizona C+
51) Lawrence of Arabia A
50) The Last of the Mohicans B
49) Children of Men B+
48) Spirited Away B-
47) The Third Man B+
46) The Princess Bride B+
45) The Silence of the Lambs C+
44) Die Hard B
43) Monty Python and the Holy Grail A
42) Seven Samurai A
41) The Shining B
40) Alien A
39) Once Upon a Time in the West A
38) Jaws A+
37) Sense and Sensibility N/A
36) The Crow B-
35) Sin City B-
34) American History X B-
33) The Searchers C+
32) To Kill a Mockingbird B
31) The Dark Knight B-
30) 12 Angry Men B+
29) The Matrix B
28) Full Metal Jacket A-
27) City of God B-
26) Mulholland Dr. B+
25) Oldboy B
24) Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back A-
23) Some Like it Hot B
22) North by Northwest B
21) Apocalypse Now A+
20) 2001: A Space Odyssey B+
19) The Shawshank Redemption B-
18) Clerks. B+
17) The Big Lebowski A
16) Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope A+
15) Braveheart C+
14) Dr. Strangelove A
13) Unforgiven A-
12) A Clockwork Orange A+
11) Casablanca B+
10) Fight Club B+
9) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind B-
8) Amelie B-
7) Raiders of the Lost Ark A+
6) Chinatown A+
5) Lord of the Rings Trilogy B+
4) Goodfellas A+
3) Blade Runner A+
2) Pulp Fiction A-
1) The Godfather B+

Doing this has made me realise just how haphazard and unreliable my grading system is.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Because I'm bored...
Doing this has made me realise just how haphazard and unreliable my grading system is.
OK, so are you so bored (or have enough AUSSIE ENERGY) to regroup all the ratings together in some order and come up with an immediate rethink? Remember, you don't have to do it, but it would probably be closer to YOUR Reality than the other list; at least based on your comments.

Some views and some observations

I hope are new list is as interesting and as diverse as this one was able to be.

100) The Station Agent - Need to see.

99) Blue Velvet - I really expected to see this a lot lower.

98) Midnight Cowboy - I really need to see.

97) Taxi Driver - ever once in a while a movie comes along it fantastic but extremely hard to watch this is one of them.

96) Clerks II - Kevin Smith Overload.

93) Short Cuts - I believe this is the only Altman appearance. What a shame. Nashville anyone.

91) Ran - What about Ikiru, Rashomon, Red Beard, Hidden Fortress. I`ve only see Ran once I guess I should have another look, thanks.

90) Lost in Translation - Need to see.

89) Terminator 2 - Surprised this over Aliens. Matter of fact, Aliens doesn’t even make it.

88) Magnolia - I’ve started to not be into P.T. Anderson as much. Though I still like Punch quite a bit.

86) Twelve Monkeys - Such an interesting inclusion.

85) Wonder Boys - Terrific.

83) Arsenic and Old Lace - Wow totally unexpected.

81) Show Me Love - What is this. Need to look into.

80) The Departed - Need to see.

78) The Blues Brothers - People really have a infinity with the film. It’s a real love it or hated it.

77) Chasing Amy - Kevin Smith Overload

76) Dogma - Kevin Smith Overload

75) Dial M for Murder - Unexpected.

74) Vertigo - Just glad to see it I didn’t think it was going to make it.

72) Schindler's List - I’ve noticed recently there’s a lot of disliking of this film

71) Raging Bull - I never full got into this one. Need to see it again.

69) Forrest Gump - I bet this ruffled some feathers.

68) The Incredibles 2.5

67) Evil Dead II - The greatest achievement of mixed horror and comedy in cinema

66) Master and Commander: Far Side of the World - Glad to see Weir represented in any shape or form

63) Singin' in the Rain - I gotta say im surprised to see a any musicals, props.

62) No Country for Old Men - finally

60) Withnail & I - Very cool, I’ve notice there’s a lot of unusual comedies in this list.

59) The Usual Suspects - ehhh ?

57) The Godfather II - I thought as single films II was always loved more then one.

55) Donnie Darko - Cult film.

54) Brazil - Need to see, Again!

53) Akira - Universally loved Animie.

52) Raising Arizona - I shock to see this and The Big Lebowski before Miller’s and No Counrty, I guess people go for there comedies more so then there serious stuff man.

51) Lawrence of Arabia - Give me The Bridge of the River Kwai.

50) The Last of the Mohicans- I love Mann but this has to be my least favourite

49) Children of Men - One of the best films made in the last 5 years.

48) Spirited Away - Need to see.

44) Die Hard - Wow Number 44

42) Seven Samurai - I was wondering when Akira Kurosawa was going to make an appearance.

40) Alien - I thought I’d see Aliens before Alien, interesting.

37) Sense and Sensibility - super surprised but in a happy way.

36) The Crow - When I was a kid I liked it. Each new viewing this film has only gotten worse.

34) American History X - Would really like to see the director’s version of this film, oh well.

33) The Searchers - Thumbs up way up !

32) To Kill a Mockingbird - I should read the book.

31) The Dark Knight - Again I wonder if this was a timing issue will we see it make the list this time around.

30) 12 Angry Men - Respect. Any time Lumet makes the list it’s a list I Respect.

29) The Matrix - I’m a little over it now well I was about 5 years ago. It’s a solid sci-fi action. I’d rather see Speed Racer in this spot.

28) Full Metal Jacket - I love it but so many people I come across always use the half good, half bad identity for this film.

25) Oldboy - I wonder did this make the list because of the timing of the film and when the list was made. I thoroughly enjoyed it but at Number 25 it seems rather insane. Even to be make this list at all.

23) Some Like it Hot - I’ve never been a fan or a hater. Wilders done better IMO.

22) North by Northwest - Universally liked Hitchcock film. Not that I don’t like it I think he made a few better films.

18) Clerks. - I’ve got this on my to re-watch list

17) The Big Lebowski - Really over Miller’s Crossing and No Country for Old Men

15) Brave heart - I really don’t see why people love this film so.

13) Unforgiving - I wonder if this will change in the new top 100 were putting together maybe see Something along the lines of Letters, Million or Grad.

12) A Clockwork Orange - Stanley best I think not.

9) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Need to see.

7) Raiders of the Lost Ark - Fresh. Interesting to see this placed so low.

6) Chinatown - Some of Polanski’s work has fallen off a bit but no one can take this one away from him.

5) Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Love it as a trilogy. Glad to see it represented as a trilogy.

3) Blade Runner - I love it, but I know it has it’s deters as well.

2) Pulp Fiction - My love for this film has slowly evaporated with time. I sit dig it. Just not as a favourite of mine.

1) The Godfather - Even though part III is looked down upon I must say I find the series to be hard to watch as singular films even as I’ve said with the inclusion of part III. Interesting that while LOTR is as a trilogy Godfather isn’t because of the poor reception III gets.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I guess you could say I'm bored

98) Midnight Cowboy 6.5/10
97) Taxi Driver 8/10
95) Requiem for a Dream 5/10
94) Platoon 6.5/10
92) The Wizard of Oz 8/10
80) The Departed 9/10
79) Ratatouille 8/10
75) Dial M for Murder 8/10
74) Vertigo 7.5/10
72) Schindler's List 8/10
70) The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly 8.5/10
69) Forrest Gump 8.5/10
62) No Country for Old Men 8/10
61) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 8/10
58) Se7en 8.5/10
56) The Treasure of Sierra Madre 6.5/10
45) The Silence of the Lambs 9/10
35) Sin City 8/10
31) The Dark Knight 8.5/10
30) 12 Angry Men 8/10
23) Some Like it Hot 8.5/10
22) North by Northwest 8.5/10
19) The Shawshank Redemption 10/10
14) Dr. Strangelove 6/10
13) Unforgiven 9.5/10
11) Casablanca 8.5/10
10) Fight Club 2/10
5) Lord of the Rings Trilogy 7/10
4) Goodfellas 8/10
2) Pulp Fiction 5.5/10

Only seen 30/100. Very shocking.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
!

!!

!!!

!!!! !!!!

This is upsetting me. I am upset.
These are personal and subjective rankings. Upon the first time seeing these I knew that they would be my last (aside from Lord of the Rings which I quite enjoyed but I have talked about how the movie is too long for me to watch over and over again. I'm sure there are highly acclaimed movies that we all hate and are wondering how people can't like them. By looking at my top 100 you can see that films like these are just not what I like to watch too much of. I've given them a chance though.

I only have a few comments.

Children of Men
is not the best film you've seen in the last 5 years. It's the best film that was made in the last 5 years.

L.B., holy Christ get watching. The best films on there are exactly the ones you haven't seen. That is, except for Children of Men!

LotR as a Trilogy is too much to rate. When you group it all together, the collective mistakes throughout end up shaving off a point (9/10). When you grade each separately however, they are each 10/10. The Return of the King is the best out of the Trilogy IMO. I think Jackson intended it to be. It is the finale after all.

Forest Gump was a failure. Shindler's List was a failure. No Country for Old Men is highly overrated. Why not Barton Fink or Fargo for christsake? Those are much, much stronger efforts.

TDK? Entertaining, solid little film, but wtf ABOVE The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly? TDK WAS TG, TB, ATU in Gotham for crying out loud.

The Godfather is the most overrated film of all time.

North by Northwest is nothing compared to probably one of the top 3 best films of all time Vertigo.

The Blues Brothers was a failure.

lolno. Watch more films that just what IMDB and AFI tells you to. It's up there in the top 20 sure.

Semper Fooey
Yeah, Godfather very overrated. Marlon Brando mumbles, Al Pacino can't crack a smile, and James Caan's James Cagney imitation is only fair.

Oh, I'm sorry. Harry Lime's tongue got in my cheek.

lolno. Watch more films that just what IMDB and AFI tells you to. It's up there in the top 20 sure.
Yeah, because everyone knows when you see more obscure films, you automatically start disliking all the other great films you've seen more. Let's conveniently ignore the fact that scads of people who watch ridiculous numbers of movies for a living happen to share the same opinion -- anyone on this forum who agrees with them just does it because they don't know any better.

Please.

Discussion yay!

Don't strawman me though yall. I didn't say The Godfather isn't great or that I didn't like it. It's a truly great film. But like CK, I don't get why it's just instantly assumed to be number one. I feel like these professional listmakers are just too slanted towards some kind of assumed tradition. Members of AFI who dissent are probably just chewed out as trolls. What makes The Godfather better than Coppola's other great masterpiece Apocalypse Now? I say nothing. I say Brando is better in AN. I say the images in AN are some of the most beautifully haunting ever put on screen. This is not to automatically say that Brando was **** in TG. God no. I was more moved by AN bombastic style over TG's subtleties.

For SL and FG.

As films, they were fine. The cinematography in Schindler's List is especially beautiful. Forrest Gump had a lot of fun historical synchronicity. But as someone I know said, "if only form mattered, Birth of a Nation would probably be hailed as the greatest film of all time." Sometimes, ideology comes into play a great deal. SL and FG were so bad in this department, I left both of them feeling empty and massively disappoint.

1. SL - There singular moment of genius that this film is hailed for. When Schindler sees the little girl running around the ghetto in her red dress while people are getting killed. This moment is special because of the color on black and white, a powerful technique. But ask yourself what this moment means. It's the moment the Jews themselves become technicolor. Their struggle becomes real for Schindler at this moment. THIS ONE MOMENT.

This is the moment of obscenity. Schindler is like a machine from this point on. A Jew-saving robot, programmed for good. It says nothing of his internal struggles, the true source of his greatness. The greatness in Schindler is that he went to all the Nazi parties and still managed to do good. The moral greatness is that he was able to overcome his immediate zeitgeist in the face of suffering. The film reduces this to a single moment. Schindler is switched ON now everybody.

It's like that movie Pollock were Ed Harris knocks down some paint accidentally and bam THIS ONE MOMENT represents his entire genius, his entire greatness. Pollock is switched ON now everybody.

It treats greatness in dummy terms. You see something and you are different. No. We go through great inner turmoil to do the right thing. Overcoming this is what makes Schindler a true hero.

2. FG - Interestingly enough, almost the same criticism. What we should feel is exactly undermined in script for some kind of inexplicable necessity of plot development/characterization. I know it's an adaptation of a novel, but a work of art is a work of art.

Is FG not about how simple, authentic goodness and true love can lead to success? Is this not the inspirational message of the film?

This is exactly what doesn't happen in FG. Forrest is anything by simple or authentic. I mean, he is personally, but he's not portrayed as such. First of all, he has superhuman speed. WTF? Second of all he's just amazing at ping pong apparently? Also WTF? These are astounding talents that should be rewarded, but THEY are what make him succeed. There is no message of inspiration. None of us are that fast or good at ping pong. Unless the film was aimed towards that strata of people? It undermines itself with this stupid superhuman stuff. Why, I ask? It was fun to watch, but the message was lost entirely.

Jenny only wants to be with him when he's a decorated soldier and on television. Isn't that convenient? I'm a good feminist so the caricature of the opportunistic gold-digger taking advantage of a man is very evident here. Simply, it is obscene. Life is like a box of chocolates, but Forrest Gump might be the most genetically perfect human being on the planet except for his mental capacities.

Discuss.

I only have a few comments.

Children of Men
is not the best film you've seen in the last 5 years. It's the best film that was made in the last 5 years.

L.B., holy Christ get watching. The best films on there are exactly the ones you haven't seen. That is, except for Children of Men!

LotR as a Trilogy is too much to rate. When you group it all together, the collective mistakes throughout end up shaving off a point (9/10). When you grade each separately however, they are each 10/10. The Return of the King is the best out of the Trilogy IMO. I think Jackson intended it to be. It is the finale after all.

Forest Gump was a failure. Shindler's List was a failure. No Country for Old Men is highly overrated. Why not Barton Fink or Fargo for christsake? Those are much, much stronger efforts.

TDK? Entertaining, solid little film, but wtf ABOVE The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly? TDK WAS TG, TB, ATU in Gotham for crying out loud.

The Godfather is the most overrated film of all time.

North by Northwest is nothing compared to probably one of the top 3 best films of all time Vertigo.

The Blues Brothers was a failure.
I'll start by saying I agree about Children of Men, surely one of the best films of the last decade, probably one of the best of all time. I also think The Godfather is praised too uniformly. It is great, but I start to think people are just going with the flow if no one dissents. Or maybe, it's just that good.

But dude, you can't just totally rip on other people's opinions without at least offering a reason. You made several inflammatory statements about movies that many people here love. Now that's not impolite in itself, but when you don't add a supporting reason for hating these movies, you just come across as elitist.

But dude, you can't just totally rip on other people's opinions without at least offering a reason. You made several inflammatory statements about movies that many people here love. Now that's not impolite in itself, but when you don't add a supporting reason for hating these movies, you just come across as elitist.
I actually typed this before you posted, but it just went up now; I take it back, you have qualified your statements.

No one's even replied yet except you. LAAAME.