Sideways

→ in
Tools    

I love 35mm ^_^
I liked this film. I first saw it at the Toronto Film Festival, and loved it. It was funny. I thought it to be well done. Was this shot all in Califonia? I must move there, I want to go on a wine tasting tour too.

I haven't seen it yet, my hsb is very keen to view it, I think that is beacause he was a Ned and Stacey fan

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'm going to see this tonight at the Mid Ulster Film Festival - kinda like the Paddy Cannes.

Originally Posted by nebbit
Let me know what you think, we seem to like the same sort of movies.
Will do, though there's a free bar for lags like me who've managed to schmooze complimentary tickets - you have been warned.

I thought Sideways was excellent (as opposed to the 'free' blinkin' bar). It reminded me of getting drunk in front of the in-laws during a wine tasting holiday in France a few years back.....

baptism in a dunking booth
asi asi

i really liked sideways, i thoguht it was really well done. However, i feel like i'm the only person that thinks this film was just a little overrated. Maybe if i hadn't heard all the hype i would've liked it a little better. Overall though i thought it was really good.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I liked it a lot. I love Thomas Hayden Church from Wings days, and was thrilled to see him do something so good. The rest of the cast was wonderful, as well. The writing was great and I enjoyed the story. Everyone involved seemed to really get what the whole thing was about and focus on that - unusual and nice to see!

I saw it on the plane as I was flying into Hawaii a couple of weeks ago. Not bad. Kind of slow, though. BTW, I live in San Francisco and, sad to say, I have yet to tour the wine country even though it is mere moments away in a car! If the babes in the Wine country are as hot as the ones in the movie, then it's about time I visited! One thing I'll say, though. Living in California, you get to taste a lot of wine, but before I saw this film, I had no idea how to savor wine in all its rich, subtle flavors. I used to gulp my wine, kind of like the Thomas Haden Church character, but now, I take my time and savor it carefully. It's amazing the difference it makes. The rich flavors you get from a glass of wine--even the cheap stuff--are pretty eye-opening! Well, whatever the merits of this movie, one thing I'll say for it is that it has taught me how to taste wine! I tried out the wine-tasting techniques in Waikiki and Honolulu too--they work amazingly well! So, I guess, that was the right movie to see on my way to my vacation--helped me enjoy my break a lot better!

My review of this film:

SIDEWAYS is an offbeat but completely winning character study revolving around a quartet of quirky California folk who have a common interest: love of fine wine.

The primary character here is a teacher and aspiring novelist named Miles (Paul Giamatti)who has a passion for wine and for literature and decides to take his best pal, Jack (Thomas Haden Church)on a road trip through California's wine country a week before he is to get married. On this trip Miles reconnects with an intelligent and free-spirited waitress (Virginia Madsen) while Jack has an affair with a quirky wine expert (Sandra Oh), which turns bad when she learns Jack is engaged.

This original comedy drama has an intelligent and humorous screenplay by Alexander Payne (ELECTION)that earned an Oscar and features completely winning performances by its cast: Church and Madsen both received Oscar nominations for their charismatic turns here, but oddly, Paul Giamatti was overlooked for one of the most brilliant lead performances of the year as Miles, a rich and complex characterization that takes on new meaning with every viewing.

These characters are not perfect and there is a lot of behavior glamorized here (Miles stealing money from his mother, Jack sleeping with another woman a week before his wedding, Miles' constant drinking and driving), but Payne makes these characters so warm and engaging that you're able to forgive the behaviors somewhat and revel in the sophisticated dialogue and on-target performances, especially Giamatti, who didn't even get a nomination, a real puzzler to me.

The film also features exquisite photography of the California wine country, which is almost like a another character in the story and an inventive and jazzy musical score that fits the film perfectly. If you're fan of Payne or Woody Allen, you will love SIDEWAYS, which has that same loopy Woody sensibility that you can't help but get caught up in.