Great Hick movies from the 1970s

Tools    

All the Kind Strangers (1974)

I have strong memories of this movie even though it was made for TV.

A man traveling through a backwoods area is held hostage by a group of orphans who want him to become their father. Unfortunately, the kids have a habit of killing adults who refuse that particular honor.

IMDB describes it as a horror / thriller.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071120..._flmg_t_76_act

I remember it being very creepy (because there was something very Children of the Corn about a family of backwoods, killer orphans, and hey, maybe this movie inspired Stephen King?) yet it was very enticing.
Talk about some obscure picks! I actually found this one on Prime and am downloading it. No such luck for the 1973 Outrage, though there are many films with that title.

Ha! I just bought The Manitou 1978 with Tony Curtis. Not a hick movie but one I remember watching as a kid, my Dad couldn't stop laughing throughout it.

A couple more, though you may well have seen them, The Hills Have Eyes and Just Before Dawn. I particuarly recommend the second as a lesser seen slasher.

The trick is not minding
I was a kid in the seventies in Florida. I just got done watching White Lightning, and am finishing up The Sugarland Express, both are fantastic. Does anyone know of any other great 70s movies based in the south? I've already seen Gator (bad sequel but had its moments) and the Smokey and the Bandits (too many times). These are like time capsules turned to life for me.

Good movie. 1970s. Based in the south. Please help TONGO!
What part of Florida?
I lived in Tallahassee from 85-91. Great times. So many memories of riding our bikes to the local lake, weekends at Panama City Beach or St George Island, and spending hours fishing at Trout Pond.

What part of Florida?
I lived in Tallahassee from 85-91. Great times. So many memories of riding our bikes to the local lake, weekends at Panama City Beach or St George Island, and spending hours fishing at Trout Pond.
Ive lived my entire life.from.Venice, FL up to Tampa, FL. Mostly in Bradenton & Sarasota. Currently I live in Brandon. Central West coast, least.likely.spot in the entire gulf coast to be hit by a hurricane. Very slow living compared to the east coast too. I'm not real familiar with Northern Florida, have a feeling it's more southern than Southern Florida.

Talk about some obscure picks! I actually found this one on Prime and am downloading it. No such luck for the 1973 Outrage, though there are many films with that title.
I just discovered you can view Outrage on YouTube for free.
(It's not great quality, but hey... it's free.)

All the Kind Strangers (1974)

I have strong memories of this movie even though it was made for TV.

A man traveling through a backwoods area is held hostage by a group of orphans who want him to become their father. Unfortunately, the kids have a habit of killing adults who refuse that particular honor.

IMDB describes it as a horror / thriller.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071120..._flmg_t_76_act

I remember it being very creepy (because there was something very Children of the Corn about a family of backwoods, killer orphans, and hey, maybe this movie inspired Stephen King?) yet it was very enticing.
I remember this one! I even remember Robby Benson singing the title song. How sad is that? It wasn't a bad movie though. I've always been a Stacy Keach fan so I had to watch it when it first came on. Walking Tall is a great one. Last year I saw it completely uncut for the first time ever and boy what a difference from the edited television version! It went from very good to a great movie! @TONGO, here's a movie that hasn't been mentioned that took place in Texas (my home state) and was very good. But I really don't remember all the devil worshippers hauling ass down the highway after strangers.

When I say I really don't remember all the devil worshippers hauling ass down the highway after strangers, I meant in real life. They do it in the movie. Just so you know.
Funny you mention that. Years ago I read a report about all the devil cults in America that were a huge phenomenon in the 70's. They reportedly held meetings throughout the country wherein they would kill babies and virgins in ritual blood sacrifices, in between when they were terrifying the countryside or infiltrating the elitist, political illuminati!

Seems they were only a phenomenon of urban legends. They dominated popular fiction as they were supposedly based on actual events, but after many FBI searches & investigations, no such cults (or evidences of such cults such as remnants of child sacrifices) were ever found.

So that's probably why you don't remember them in real life! They only existed in books & movies!

You know, I was almost convinced about them when I saw the scene in the honky tonk where all the band members (especially the steel guitar player) were glaring at our heroes while playing. I seem to remember that same look from the band when I was two-stepping too close to the bandstand.

No they go to Florida and have hick trouble
I don't know if I'd call them hicks. It's more small town USA bullies and spoilt kids. It's an ok film for what it is though.

Well I gutted and grinded my way thru Boxcar Bertha. Possibly.the longest 88 minutes in recent memory. I tell ya, Scorcese has come a long way since then. Set in depression era times, so it wasnt even the right genre.

Got to be strict to my formula, made in the 70s, based in the 70s, based in the south.

Had to shed alot of suggestions, with some exceptions. Still want to see Ode to Billy Joe again, and Charles Bronsons Hard Times.

I don't know if I'd call them hicks. It's more small town USA bullies and spoilt kids. It's an ok film for what it is though.
You're in Britain right? It may be different there, but here those are hicks.

I don't even look at Deliverance and Southern Comfort as hicks. They're beyond that, more like inbred half animals.

I was a kid in the seventies in Florida. I just got done watching White Lightning, and am finishing up The Sugarland Express, both are fantastic. Does anyone know of any other great 70s movies based in the south? I've already seen Gator (bad sequel but had its moments) and the Smokey and the Bandits (too many times). These are like time capsules turned to life for me.

Good movie. 1970s. Based in the south. Please help TONGO!
The Sugarland Express is brilliant