A disturbing movie

→ in
Tools    

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
I guess we'll agree to disagree, but that was the worst movie I've ever seen.

I'd rather watch "The Uwe Boll Collection" than that garbage I watched yesterday.

A system of cells interlinked
Fair enough, we will both agree that you are wrong. ;)

To each his own, but, the film is well made, well acted, and the screenplay was nominated for an Academy Award. The film also won numerous other awards at other festivals. So, if you say you don;t like the film, that's fine, but, it isn't a technically bad film. It just isn't.

I don't agree with Bobby's reasons, either, but they were not half as juvenile as you are suggesting. He's talking about a lack of redeeming characters or meaningful goals, not merely "bad people doing bad things."

Yes. Mainly for the same reason infants laugh at parents who talk to them; a vague recognition of a higher form of intelligence and communication, which you are delighted to have merely encountered.

Also, I'm a funny guy.

And since when do characters have to have redeeming qualities for a film to be considered good? He went on about it as if he'd seen a B-slasher film, not one of the better films of the 90's and a film that established Jackson as one of the best directors in the world. Calling it garbage based solely on the fact that the characters were "unlovable" is...laughable...

And since when do characters have to have redeeming qualities for a film to be considered good?
I don't think that they do. My point is that you were mocking a stance which you had severely exaggerated.

I find it misguided -- but not absurd or "laughable" -- to suggest that a film which seeks mainly to disturb has no real artistic value. I suspect most people would agree. The issue, then, is about what themes and messages Bobby may have missed when watching Heavenly Creatures. Somehow, I don't think hyperbole and derision are the best way of finding that out.

He had every opportunity to elaborate his opinion, but all he could come up with was "they were evol, evol guyls....I don like it evol guyls...cos they're evol".... I love hyperbole...:D

Ah, see, I saw a bit more in his elaboration than you did, apparently. To each their own. :)

Embarassing side-note: in a weird little leak of knowledge, there was a period of time where I pronounced hyperbole as "hyper-bowl," as at that point I'd never heard it spoken aloud by another person.

Why I would willingly tell anyone this, I do not know.

That's a bit surprising given that your mom is a walking talking thesaurus...I on the other hand, have more than one word of whose correct pronunciation I have only a vague idea...I blame the lack of cerebral films and in turn Hollywood for not edumacating me...:(

Ok, I have a feeling that post was constructed poorly . You guys shouldn't hesitate to correct me when I make mistakes...that's the only way I'll improve on my English.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Piss off, Adi.

The reason I didn't like it was because the only thing it sought to do was disturb people.

Anyone want to tell me what the thing is really about, if I'm so ****ing ignorant that I missed the point?

Sure, the filming is beautiful, the acting is nice, but that doesn't save it's intentions or it's script. It's ripped from Pauline's real diary. She was a disturbed young woman. That would make the movie disturbed.

For heaven's sake, watch the ending of the film and you can see that's what they were going for. It doesn't end. They do what they did and then they tell us what happened afterwards. They didn't show what happened to them after.

It's a pitiful movie. One that seeks to disturb and in the end, glorifies the acts of these girls. The whole mood of the film basically labels them as geniuses. Not for what they did, but for their minds. Their disturbed minds.

Gee whiz Bobby, didn't mean to upset ya...(well actually I did :D). All I'm hearing is, they were disturbed, the film was therefore disturbed, and therefore garbage. Showing disturbing things doesn't make a film bad. If that were the case, Oldboy would have been the worst piece of crap in film history. But, in fact, it's one of the best films I've seen.

That's a bit surprising given that your mom is a walking talking thesaurus...I on the other hand, have more than one word of whose correct pronunciation I have only a vague idea...I blame the lack of cerebral films and in turn Hollywood for not edumacating me...
It almost seems more likely to happen to intelligent people sometimes. My girlfriend's quite smart, and as a result, reads a lot. So much that there are any number of words she's read a million times, but never actually heard. The result is somewhat amusing, to be sure.

Ok, I have a feeling that post was constructed poorly . You guys shouldn't hesitate to correct me when I make mistakes...that's the only way I'll improve on my English.
English is your second language, yes? If so, I have to say you've picked it up very well. 'Course, I'm going off of typed words, but still.