What's your favorite low budget movie?

Tools    

And by low budget, I mean shoestring.

Mine would be Mike Flanagan's Absentia. He went and above and beyond with practically no budget and delivered a truly great and creepy film.*

What would your favorite/best low budget be?

Mad Max

I have several and I bet that they undercut most supposedly "low budget" movies, since the budget amounted to some locals checking their pockets for change, passing the hat and volunteering to "act" or hold cameras, or buy film, or whatever needed to be done. Those are the early movies of John Waters, which were transgressive for how outrageous they were when they were new.

Titles like Pink Flamingos, Multiple Maniacs and Mondo Trasho were not just low budget, but were often shot in Baltimore neighborhoods, on the run from authorities, neighbors and certainly church people. People got arrested by police and the events showed up on local news. They had no FX, no formal sets, no props that could not be found in someone's parents' garage. The casts (with the exception of Divine) were people that probably lived in your neighborhood and were names you recognized. Divine's real identity was a secret that took a while to get out. One of the movies, Desperate Living, was set in a house that was subsequently rented by a relative of mine.

I don't know if anybody in that crew even knew what a budget was and they certainly didn't have an accountant, bank loan or a fiscal manager.

Might be Carnival of Souls.

Primer, Coherence, Gabbeh, Where is the friends house?, Vigil, Blair Witch Project, After Life, The Selfish Giant, Involuntary.

I feel like I'm forgetting hundreds of them.

I bet this one is a new low point on the low budget-bad taste scale....early John Waters and Multiple Maniacs. See Divine eat human flesh. It's even better than amyl nitrate.

I think one has to mention Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959), the infamous Ed Wood film with a $60K budget, purely for campy reasons.

I really enjoyed Coherence (2013) by director James Ward Byrkit, shot with a $50K budget. It's actually a very good sci-fi psychological thriller shot in 5 days at the director's home in Santa Monica.

I really enjoyed Coherence (2013) by director James Ward Byrkit, shot with a $50K budget. It's actually a very good sci-fi psychological thriller shot in 5 days at the director's home in Santa Monica.
One of my favourites. Another thing I find great about it is that a lot of it was improvised on the spot.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
The Legend of Boggy Creek - $160,000 budget

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer

Assault on Precinct 13 was pretty cheap, no?