The Movieforums Top 100 War Movies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The idea of a concensus "underseen" list is completely flawed. If you get thirty or twenty or even six MoFos to vote for it, that rather proves it isn't underseen. On the other hand if a movie really and truly is underseen and you are one of the few enlightened people who appreciate it, by logic that title will die in terms of collecting enough points to make the collective. Catch-22. Any movie that is underseen will never get enough votes and any movie that gets a lot of votes is clearly seen by plenty.

So start a thread of the movies you think are underseen, start a discussion, and if you express your passion well enough others may check it out. And you'll probably discover that, shocker, in a community of film fans there are others of us who have seen and even like the flick. But a MoFo List? It is a non-starter.

Highest points, but anything that gets more than three votes is disqualified?
(I wonder if the bottom fifty will be fifty-way tie of everyone's 1-pointers).

1990s Decade redux
Like it sounds, it's been 10 years since the first time we did the 90s countdown. Is it time for a redo?
I did some digging and of the 54 posters who participated in this there are maybe roughly only 20 still fairly active that would submit a list. Another 10 have checked in with the past few months but haven't posted in years so that would probably be a no for them making a redux ballot. The others are a combo of haven't logged in for years, banned, or moved on(RIP). It's been a decade since that list was compiled, a newer crop of ballots and maybe a fresh perspective on the top 100. Not the best case but something to consider when the next countdown vote happens. I'm cool with almost whatever gets picked.

I did some digging and of the 54 posters who participated in this there are maybe roughly only 20 still fairly active that would submit a list. Another 10 have checked in with the past few months but haven't posted in years so that would probably be a no for them making a redux ballot. The others are a combo of haven't logged in for years, banned, or moved on(RIP). It's been a decade since that list was compiled, a newer crop of ballots and maybe a fresh perspective on the top 100. Not the best case but something to consider when the next countdown vote happens. I'm cool with almost whatever gets picked.
Those are valid points. Hopefully we get the discussion thread soon and you could bring those up again. I'm trying not do say much until we get that thread... Regarding my post, I wasn't hugely in favor of any one of those ideas I posted, they weren't even my ideas but ideas from the past that seemed somewhat popular. Myself I like genre countdowns.

I like this countdown. I was going to steep myself in war movies and now I've got a good guideline here with many suggestions that the 'best of' countdown articles don't mention. I've seen a lot of the popular ones, some of the lesser known ones. I say this list is well rounded and gets most of all the great ones.

I like this countdown. I was going to steep myself in war movies and now I've got a good guideline here with many suggestions that the 'best of' countdown articles don't mention. I've seen a lot of the popular ones, some of the lesser known ones. I say this list is well rounded and gets most of all the great ones.
I'm still watching war films, almost every single night. Once I made a watch list for this countdown I found so many war film I hadn't seen or hadn't seen in decades that I will be watching more until Noirvember.

Sorry for the delay on the spreadsheet, dog's had some health issues (he's probably fine ) that have been a major distraction. Soon though, tomorrow at the absolute latest.

Something something dog tags joke I can't workshop at the moment, imagine I came up with something clever.

my list:

1. Apocalypse Now (1979)
2. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
3. Casablanca (1942)
4. The Thin Red Line (1998)
5. Where Eagles Dare (1968)
6. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
7. The Dirty Dozen (1967)
8. Devils on the Doorstep (2000)
9. Come and See (1985)
10. The Burmese Harp (1956)
11. The Great Dictator (1940)
12. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
13. Quo Vadis, Aida? (2021)
14. Paths of Glory (1957)
15. Bitter Victory (1957)
16. To Be or Not To Be (1942)
17. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
18. Mister Roberts (1955)
19. Love and Death (1975)
20. War and Peace (1966)
21. 1917 (2019)
22. Waterloo Bridge (1940)
23. Ivan's Childhood (1962)
24. The Steel Helmet (1951)
25. The Long Voyage Home (1940)
criticker

movies can be okay...
Oops, was planning on submitting a list for this but forgot. Here it is anyways,

#1 Full Metal Jacket
#2 Apocalypse Now
#3 The Ascent
#4 Casablanca
#5 Au Revoir les Enfants
#6 Grave of the Fireflies
#7 Cold War
#8 RAN
#9 Paths of Glory
#10 Waltz with Bashir
#11 Incendies
#12 Barry Lyndon
#13 Come & See
#14 Lacombe, Lucien
#15 City of Ghosts
#16 A War
#17 Beau Travail
#18 Dunkirk
#19 The Night Porter
#20 The King
#21 Saul fia
#22 The Wind that Shakes the Barley
#23 The Battle of Algiers
#24 Dr. Strangelove
#25 When the Wind Blows

The only film that would've been added to the list I think was Beau Travail, which would have knocked off Red Angel and upped Travail up to #89. Otherwise, just a few entries wouldve gotten reordered.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

High five to whoever else voted for '71! I think it's a pretty intense war film that deserves a bit more recognition.

I forgot the opening line.
Soldier Blue should have been my 1-pointer. Nobody voted for it - and that included me.

My actual 1-pointer, Eye in the Sky, was on 4 separate ballots, but only managed 8 points.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Watching the spreadsheet, exactly half of all titles included are from a single ballot. That's too many.
I've contributed three of these 169 lone soldiers.

Does anybody know of a way to copy or download the movies on that spreadsheet? I just want a text file I can save on my computer for later references.
The page where it opens has a File menu where you can Download.