Post-Oscars Perspective

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Just on these points, matey,

* I dont know what you mean about Sam and Allison's winning being overshadowed by anything. Who says? And why would you be laughing that you say somepeople think Allison's win is forgettable complete with laugh emoji?
* what is an 'oscar looser'? Crowing about someone not winning and punctuating it in bold and caps with how happy you are is what little kids do. I dont know why you do that.
*Still carrying on about Gary and calling his speech gross. It was the most natural speech of the evening if you ask me, and according to my brother who worked with him he's exactly like that with the crew when he's off screen. 'I'm really happy for him winning' followed by an invalidation. No you arent happy for his winning and you said multiple times before the ceremony you wouldnt be happy if he won. Why when you claim he's your 2nd favourite actor?
*Laughing again about Jane not happy when she read out his name. I dont think that's true. It looked to me the entire time she was on the stage that the fake eyelashes were causing her problems and she was having trouble even opening her eyes, or maybe she was tired. She is 80 after all,and like everyone else probably up for 20 hours preparing then sitting through the oscar crap they all have to prepare is fantastic fun but whatever floats your boat to keep crowing about Gary in an attempt to bring his win down to some level.
Then blowing smoke about Tim's win once again.

I totally agree with your comments about kimmel, to finish on a positive. And thanks to that link from whatever hollywood mag that was. Lovely stuff about his reaction to his teacher's tweet.

As he has been a lifelong hero of mine, I'm very happy for Guillermo del Toro tonight.
yeah me too. He really loves his monsters.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Delighted for Guillermo del Toro and everyone who worked on The Shape of Water, but even though I adored the film I am a bit anxious that it's just going to be subject to a lot of backlash now from people who don't like it.

Delighted for Guillermo del Toro and everyone who worked on The Shape of Water, but even though I adored the film I am a bit anxious that it's just going to be subject to a lot of backlash now from people who don't like it.
It's always like that, wherever there is competition. Adults behaving like little kids as I said above. It's very mean spirited and i dont understand it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The main question for me, which occurs to me every time I fill out my Oscar picks but I never get round to googling - just what is the difference between sound mixing and sound editing? I actually did google this this year, but I'm still not much more clued up. I don't know if I could distinguish sound editing from sound mixing when watching a film enough to say which was done well.

The only one i cared about Varda lost . Oh well. 20/24 Really should have stuck with McDormand, changed her to Ronan near the end even though i was almost positive it would be her.

The main question for me, which occurs to me every time I fill out my Oscar picks but I never get round to googling - just what is the difference between sound mixing and sound editing? I actually did google this this year, but I'm still not much more clued up. I don't know if I could distinguish sound editing from sound mixing when watching a film enough to say which was done well.
sound mixing is recording and polish the final sounds. Sound editing practically the one that edit and assemble it to the movie

I thought The Shape of Water was rather meh, personally. Visually gorgeous, yes, but way too cliched and predictable. The main character (Elisa) and the creature, and their romance, were just annoying (IMHO!). On the plus side, there was some good dialogue, Richard Jenkins as Giles was good, Michael Shannon as Strickland was excellent, Octavia Spencer was really funny - but overall it was definitely a mixed bag for me.

I don't know what it is but, while I admire Guillermo del Toro's eye for visuals, there's something about his adult fairy tales that leaves me cold. It's hard to explain.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Looks like the best foreign language film winner this year was a film about a transgender woman.

*insert a typical rant about LGBT films being sure winning picks for Oscars*
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Looks like the best foreign language film winner this year was a film about a transgender woman.

*insert a typical rant about LGBT films being sure winning picks for Oscars*
****ing surprise. The best non Hollywood film on the entire planet this year just happened to be some transgender nonsense right about the time where trans issues are a hot political topic. Amazing.

****ing surprise. The best non Hollywood film on the entire planet this year just happened to be some transgender nonsense right about the time where trans issues are a hot political topic. Amazing.
Funny that you don't say a word about the Best Foreign Film Oscar until it's about marginalized people Not to mention you haven't even seen it so you are utterly clueless to its quality. Don't worry they filled their quota, the winners will be about straight white men for the next 20 years.

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
I'm just glad Oldman won. He was the best nominee by far. Incredible performance and well deserved win.

Now that I quickly skimmed through Oscar winners from the very beginning, I see that there were only like 5 masterpieces that ever won Best Picture. Now Foreign Language Film category is so much more interesting with some of the best films of all-time winning.
From what I've seen, these are the true masterpieces (being really strict):

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (if you count it)
Gone with the Wind
Casablanca
All About Eve
The Apartment
Lawrence of Arabia
The Godfather
The Godfather: Part II
Schindler's List

Some of the others are pretty close to being masterpieces as well. The quality of the winners is obviously declining, though.

P.S. Still havent seen some of the winners, so there might be another masterpiece amongst those.

If you have seen every Del Toro film, then The Shape of Water is no suprise. Del Toro deserved it as the film is beautiful in every aspect. I expect no less from him. However a thing that piss me off - no intercouse between the creature and her was shown, it was insinuated that is what happened.

Welcome to the human race...
There have been bad BP winners since the 1930s (I've certainly seen people argue that Gone with the Wind's romanticising of the antebellum South is a severe strike against its overall quality, at least) so I wouldn't go about saying that BP winners are "obviously declining" in quality so much as they are continuing along the same approximate trajectory where it's mostly average stuff with the occasional masterpiece or travesty.

Haven't watched the ceremony yet, but I'm thrilled that Shape of Water and Del Toro won. I didn't think the film would win, but I wanted it to. Not happy about Allison Janney, whose performance I found rather one-note, I'm thinking her award was a "Body of Work" kind of thing.