Fantastic Four 2015 Reboot, why should we care?

Tools    

You and me will see eye to eye on very few things, but I admit in my dealings with Stormfront and internet bigots, I too found some unintentional comedy.

This was years ago back when I was in my masters program. I was doing a term paper on the use of the internet and its relation to Criminology and Criminal Justice. I opted for use of the net by people of interest to the criminal justice system, namely hate groups and extremists. As part of my research, I went to several websites of noted hate groups. Naturally I checked out the boards of Stormfront. One thread was of a young and confused teenager who wanted to open up to his parents about his "white nationalist" aka bigoted world view. Only he choose the unfortunate choice of words "I want to come out to my parents." From that day forward I can't help but look at skinheads and klansmen as a bunch of repressed homosexuals getting together for racist rants, binge drinking, and man piling.
I think the funniest (saddest?) part is that there are several threads a day about the evils of minorities, race mixing, etc - but the "dating and relationships" part of the site is nearly dead.

If the bigots there are worried about "white genocide" they should spend more time getting busy, instead of spending all day whining about a Cheerios commercial showing an interracial couple.

Even if Marvel gets it back it will probably be because Fox lets the time lapse like Daredevil, unlikely they'll willingly hand it over before they have to. Even then the question is does Marvel even want such a tainted property now?

Even if Marvel gets it back it will probably be because Fox lets the time lapse like Daredevil, unlikely they'll willingly hand it over before they have to. Even then the question is does Marvel even want such a tainted property now?
Yeah, considering how much of a bomb this movie is, and how badly the previous two were received by critics and fans, there may never be another FF movie again, at least not for a very long time.

I had the same thing to say about the Punisher films.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I've got to admit that I can't get enough of this Fantastic Four drama. It's like a car crash, I can't tear my eyes away.

The imdb score is now down to a 4.0, right on the verge of entering the 3s. The lastest box-office predictions have it in the $24-28 million range, less than half of what was predicted less than a week ago. It had been forecast to average $11,264 per screen; so far it has instead made a pathetic $2,829 per screen.

And the blame game is certainly in full swing with rumours and 'sources' in support of both sides. There are stories that it was indeed all done to Trank's destructive on-set behaviour, but there has also been some back-up for Trank's accusations. Some sites and individuals have cited several informed sources that the rewrite wasn't just a polish but was 40 pages of rewrites, and that when it came to the 3rd act Fox took over and removed Trank from the editing room. Apparently Trank and the studio had agreed on the movie they were going to make but literally just days before filming started Fox completely changed their mind, altering the film and in the process binning 3 big action sequences. There's even stories that they canned some CGI sequences mid-way through rendering. All this may explain why apparently a whole lot of footage from the first trailer, including several action sequences, are apparently nowhere to be seen in the film.

Although I have to ask, is anyone else actually a little more interested in seeing this now? I'm certainly not going to be paying to see it in the cinema but I've now got a sort of perverse interest. When I just thought it was going to be poor and dull I didn't really care, but now I'm curious to see if it really is this complete trainwreck.

As I said, if they were smart they'd try and cut a similar deal as Sony got where they share the characters. Let Marvel take over creatively on any Fantastic Four films (and include them as part of other films) but Fox still distribute and profit from the film. Apparently Fox also want to make an X-Men TV show but they need Marvel's permission. Seems like some kind of deal could be arranged there.

I certainly think Marvel would want the characters back, as they would all their property, but you're right about the characters being tainted now. Even if Marvel got the rights would they take the risk of spending however many millions on a standalone film? Perhaps the ideal situation would be to give them a soft introduction by including them in a larger film just to test the waters. Civil War could have been ideal but obviously it's too late for that.

Though I do sort of feel that the Fantastic Four, particularly given their family dynamic, would perhaps function better as a TV show. Though the budget required may be unrealistic for a TV series

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I was gonna see it for some reason...but seeing as how it has been universally panned and flamed by its director.

I think that one of the underlying reasons in this is Fox keeping its villains. Doom and Galactus would be a major coup for the MCU. The big space cloud would be a nice step after Thanos.

Originally Posted by JayDee
The imdb score is now down to a 4.0, right on the verge of entering the 3s. The lastest box-office predictions have it in the $24-28 million range, less than half of what was predicted less than a week ago. It had been forecast to average $11,264 per screen; so far it has instead made a pathetic $2,829 per screen. :eek
Personally I don't pay attention to any of that. Besides the sequel has a set date already.

There are stories that it was indeed all done to Trank's destructive on-set behavior...40 pages of rewrites.. stories that they canned some CGI sequences mid-way through rendering.
I don't think Trank's previous situations will have any negative interactions to the final product that people will see on screen. What was done is done, and the film doesn't look all that bad.

Although I have to ask, is anyone else actually a little more interested in seeing this now?....I'm curious to see if it really is this complete trainwreck.
I'm going to see this tonight and I should have my review up soon after, before I go see Rogue Nation this week.

I don't think I was ever not interested. It even looks better than the previous two with Ioan Gruffudd, Michael Chiklis, Chris Evans and Jessica Alba. Which were worse than a train wreck.

If they were smart they'd try and cut a similar deal as Sony got where they share the characters. Let Marvel take over creatively on any Fantastic Four films (and include them as part of other films) but Fox still distribute and profit from the film. Apparently Fox also want to make an X-Men TV show but they need Marvel's permission. Seems like some kind of deal could be arranged there.
I don't think it even matters which entertainment corporation heads a motion picture that makes a film better to people. It's the actual person that writes the film, the people in it and how it's done.

As for FF being in another film with other characters, there was a X-Men crossover film but that doesn't seem like it would be even happening at all anymore. It was a movie crossover not a TV show. Unless something was being passed through the grapevine I haven't heard about.

I seriously doubt it's a horrible movie.
I strongly doubt it myself as well.

Personally I don't pay attention to any of that. Besides the sequel has a set date already.
I don't believe they're "under any contract" to make a sequel, and if this film does lose upwards of $80m at the box office I highly doubt they'll go forward with the sequel.

Sequels get cancelled all the time. Batman and Robin had a planned sequel which got scrapped after the movie was savaged by the critics.

I don't believe they're "under any contract" to make a sequel, and if this film does lose upwards of $80m at the box office I highly doubt they'll go forward with the sequel.
They're officially cast and signed to do a sequel. Besides sequels to films have been made regardless to box office. FF 2 is set for June 9, 2017 and the film just came out so money it will gather at the BO and with DVD/Blu-Ray by 2017...I'm sure a sequel could be made. Especially since Hollywood makes sequels to films all the time.

They're officially cast and signed to do a sequel. Besides sequels to films have been made regardless to box office. FF 2 is set for June 9, 2017 and the film just came out so money it will gather at the BO and with DVD/Blu-Ray by 2017...I'm sure a sequel could be made. Especially since Hollywood makes sequels to films all the time.
If this is the case I'd go with a straight-to-DVD affair though - if this film really does gross only $30m on a $150m budget it'll be in the top 10 worst grossing films of all time, and there's no way as a producer I'd take that risk.

Andrew Garfield was under contract for ASM 3, and Sony had set a release date for that... Just saying.

Andrew Garfield was under contract for ASM 3, and Sony had set a release date for that... Just saying.
Andrew was already contracted to make two more films for release in 2015 and 2016. But the character was rebooted and changed studios and entered the MCU,with a totally different age range in mind and approach towards the character himself.

That's kind of a big difference, besides even though there's a lot of reboots done over and over.. I don't think they'd reboot FF again after these .

Andrew was already contracted to make two more films for release in 2015 and 2016. But the character was rebooted and changed studios and entered the MCU,with a totally different age range in mind and approach towards the character himself.

That's kind of a big difference, besides even though there's a lot of reboots done over and over.. I don't think they'd reboot FF again after these .
I know, that was my point. I was responding to the comment about FF already having a sequel planned, as we have seen that doesn't guarantee anything. I don't really see a sequel being a top priority if the box office hold true. Especially THIS FF franchise. Sony was planning ASM 3, and a Sinsiter Six movie, until the critical and financial disappointment of ASM2. Not to mention the ASM movies were much more successful at the box office and critically than this film.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
I care because the ones that they made a few years back sucked! I hope that this one is better. I haven't watched it yet and may not until it comes out on DVD and Blue Ray but who knows.

The problem Fox has now is they've tied it to the franchise by having Deadpool appear in the credits scene.

They've totally messed this up now.
Fox isn't as big on continuity as Marvel studios. I don't see them rebooting this, making a sequel or handing right over to Marvel, if I had to guess they'll let the clock run out like with Daredevil. They still have their golden goose with the X-men. Even the crappiest X-men movies make bank. As much as I like FF, it just isn't as strong of an IP, in film anyway.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
You really think there's still going to be a sequel? It had a budget of $120 million which isn't including the millions they will have sunk into marketing. And I imagine their publicity budget will have been quite high as the film did seem to be everywhere online and on TV and it had very large awareness numbers, topping even Ant Man. I've seen it said numerous times that for a big film like this to make a profit they have to make about two and a half/three times their original budget. Let's just assume that's right and give them the low estimate; that would mean the film would need to gross at least around $300 million just to break even! At the moment if it makes more than $70 million at the domestic box-office it would be a miracle. That's leaving a hell of a lot for the international box-office to make up for, especially when the studio receives substantially less from international revenue

And the fact that there are already contracts and a set date for the sequel mean nothing. Plenty of films have had sequels all set up that then disappeared when the first film disappointed at the box office. Green Lantern I remember was all set up to become a new franchise; there was even a script for the sequel written but it was all dropped when the film underperformed

I don't think it even matters which entertainment corporation heads a motion picture that makes a film better to people. It's the actual person that writes the film, the people in it and how it's done.
For the most part perhaps but there are some brands that I think do generate a lot more interest, trust and therefore box-office returns. Pixar is one and Marvel is another. And in general Marvel have made films that are better received by audiences and critics.

As for FF being in another film with other characters, there was a X-Men crossover film but that doesn't seem like it would be even happening at all anymore. It was a movie crossover not a TV show. Unless something was being passed through the grapevine I haven't heard about.
No I'm talking about something else. Fox want to make a TV show that resides in the X-Men universe but they need Marvel to sign off on it. Fox owns the rights to use the X-Men characters in feature films but they'd need to agree another deal for TV.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=123687

The problem Fox has now is they've tied it to the franchise by having Deadpool appear in the credits scene.

Thanks for letting people who haven't seen it yet know this.

They can retcon the Deadpool script and tell the audience that the Fantastic Four were killed with a gigantic bomb - by a terrorist known as "Trank".

They can retcon the Deadpool script and tell the audience that the Fantastic Four were killed with a gigantic bomb - by a terrorist known as "Trank".
LOL