The future of film is on the net, not in the cinema

Tools    

MPAA is taking their job rather seriously:
MPAA Sues ISOHunt...
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32255

Lost in never never land
I tend to think that movie theaters as we know them will not die, but the number of them will shrink a lot. I think that with pirating that more movies will go straight to DVD then have before. However, I do feel that if the quality of the movies were to go up, that attendence would return to the levels that the movie industry wants. Right now the drop in attendence at theaters isn't large enough to cause the industry any worries, even though they will claim that it is terrible. Right now the biggest issue is putting out true quality movies, and educating movie goers what to look for in movies. Right now the movies that seem to do well are stupid movies, but these movies are seen in theaters, but tend to drop off quickly. True quality films will make watchers want to go and see them a second time in the theaters. X-Men: The Last Stand is better then most movies, but from seeing it once in theaters, I don't feel like I have a need to see it again. However, until peopel get educated about film and the art and theory of film, the attendence will continue in its trend. And the industry will continue to put out bad, corny movies that people will see once, and then we will never hear of again.

Well I think it's hard for the quality of movies to go up when they are becoming more and more expensive to produce...it's easier to do half-baked movies that audiences will eat up versus the Casablancas of the world...and with people illegally downloading, that's only taking more profit away from the studios, hence the vicious cycle of making cheaper, less thought out movies...

[quote=PimpDaShizzle V2.0]I freakin hope so.... why would someone want to go step in some crusty old soda, sit in musty lice riddled chairs, and deal with retarded people... [quote]

What cinemas have you been goin too try avoidin the rat infested ones and maybe u will have a truelly epic cinema experience

....The only way to watch a new film is in the cinema...dvd is for your own favs you want to see over and over...there are thousands of films from before my generation i would love to see on the big screen so i hope there isnt as many in my future i feel the same way about because they stop showing em there!!!

I hope that isn't the case. I sit at my computer long enough without having to stretch out and relax around it with other people.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Here's some interesting views from Wired's Chris Anderson on how the net may be affecting a decline in cinema smash hits...

Death of the Blockbuster, Part IV

[Ok, so he's pushing his book, The Long Tail, here n'all - but that looks interesting too ]

His overall argument seems to be that the net allows people to pursue niche interests, and this means there's a reduced interest in what's topping the charts nationally.

So... The future of film is not only in the cinema, but on DVD - partially thanks to the net?

The future of films really is on the net... the MPAA is starting an Internet advisory committee to advise them on consumer issues...
Here's the article:
In an effort to become more in tune with moviegoers' opinions on the film business, the Motion Picture Association of America announced Tuesday a new online panel, My Movie Muse. Hoping to engage 7,500 participants initially and ramp up to 15,000 by next year, the MPAA created Muse in order to periodically survey participants about movie-related topics, from theater attendance to home video rental, advertisements and piracy. "The opportunities for innovative new distribution models, the competition from other entertainment sources and the transition to digital cinema and television make it ever more important for us to stay in close touch with consumers on the range of issues that affect us," MPAA chairman and CEO Dan Glickman said. "Focused, consistent input from people outside the movie business can help better inform the industry during these evolving times." The MPAA intends to survey participants quarterly and hopes they will act as unofficial advisers to the film industry.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060712/...E0BHNlYwN0bWE-