1930s Hall of Fame Part 2

Tools    

If you read my review of Red Dust you know I really enjoyed it...but I had all the same reactions that you did. It's uncanny.

The first 5 minutes and I was thinking, 'man these actors are stiff as a board.'

Then when Jean Harlow arrived, I thought, 'what the heck, I usually like her, but not now'. She was jarring at first.

Then with Mary Astor and Gene Raymond's arrival the film got good.

And when Miss Harlow returned, my reaction was the same as yours, she all of a sudden got interesting.

I think Cricket said just about the same too.
Yeah, I read the other reviews afterwards (only thing I do beforehand is see what photos have been used so I can try and pick a different one).

Personally it felt like it took a while to 'click', not just for me as a viewer but also for those concerned making it. Not sure I can really express it better than that without tying my words in knots so I hope that at least makes some sense to someone lol.

Weird is relative.
I was wondering if anyone had some good quality links for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, as well as The Thin Man? I tried playing them on ffilms but they weren't loading for me.

I was wondering if anyone had some good quality links for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, as well as The Thin Man? I tried playing them on ffilms but they weren't loading for me.
I got one for The Thin Man I will PM you about it.

Sent you a link for Dr J & Mr H Mija

Weird is relative.
Thanks guys!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Humanity and Paper Balloons

A good beginning twenty minutes to the film and I really liked the last minute of the film as well. The meat of the film, the other 64 minutes, left a bit to be desired for me. I'll chalk it half up to too much happening at once and admittedly there were scenes which made it hard for me to continue to comprehend what was going on, so yes half of it is on me. The other half is that I just didn't care enough about the two main characters stories enough to solidly enjoy the film. The films brightest point for me is the great setting that was used. Also great cinematography. The scenes that were doing in the rain were my favorite. It definitely is a really nice looking 30s film. But in the end, an overall middling film for me that probably won't stick with me much although I would still be willing to give it another chance.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Gosh some of you are speeding through these...

I watched Virtue and The Goddess which made for an interesting double bill. For a while I thought I had accidentally signed up to the Prostitute Hall of Fame. It's actually really interesting to see the 1930s take on this subject and in both cases very sympathetic, perhaps surprisingly so.

Virtue was quite a fun watch, with its wise talking characters. I was enjoying it a lot until the bit where Mae gets tricked out of the money and for a while after that it plays almost like a melodramatic farce with mistaken identity and everything which I found a bit difficult to watch. Thankfully, it was redeemed by the ending. I thought the characters and their dynamic were interesting. Neither of them are particularly honest with each other to start with so things are bound to get worse before they get better. The acting was good - Mae's character and feelings particularly came across during the scene where Jimmy suspects her. There were some interesting dynamics between the supporting cast as well.

The Goddess is more serious and more moving. Quite honestly a lot of this film could play out in pretty much the same way in this century, anywhere in the world. The message does come across as being a little bit deliberate and heavy handed but it's a good message. I thought the lead actress was very good. It's quite a natural performance. I liked the way they indicated the prostitution without showing it by focusing on the feet.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
THINK about it. . .
a girl is engaged/married to a not so great guy (in this case, as far as the dad is concerned), runs off on an adventure where she meets a roguish man and after a while, they fall in love.

Never it saw it that way, but it kinda hits all the setups for such a book.

I've never read a Harlequin romance novel, but I image it's full of overly dramatized romantic interludes with lusty heavy breathing, followed by heaving chest, trembling lips and sweat on the brow...that sort of stuff. So yeah I don't think the style is at all like It Happened One Night.

The Roaring Twenties

Spoilers by the barrel

A decade and a half of prohibition-based intoxication.

The initial war scenes feel quite staged but do their job of introducing the three cornerstones of the story fairly well and do so quite briskly, a pace that is generally maintained quite nicely with the 'newsreel' style montages used to periodically move proceedings along.

Acting is good pretty much across the board and there is some lovely snappy dialogue dotted throughout, though for me the one attempt at a more slapstick style of humour around the midpoint really should have been excised as it's totally out of place.

Sadly although Jean's songs are generally in context, and imo deliberately meant to be a little insipid in terms of performance, they do cause little dips in the enjoyment for me; though I have to say Gladys George does deliver nicely, if rather briefly, with her one moment in that regard later on.

The period is nicely recreated (as it should be, being not that far removed in time) with the story quite believable up until the slightly contrived ending, and although a little light in terms of action for the style of tale most of what there is is reasonably well staged imo.

As an aside - anybody else notice how Panama gives Eddie the lowdown about Jean quitting yet when he comes back a couple of minutes later she's telling the barman she thinks Eddie doesn't know? Just thought I'd mention it in passing.

Overall it's an enjoyable watch that holds the attention all the way through and a very good nomination imo.

Do people actually read romantic fiction ... Harlequin style or otherwise?

(yeah, I'm kidding ... even I've heard of Mills and Boon)

Of Mice and Men (1939)

*Spoilers*

I seen this once, long ago and I always remembered it. It's a potent film with an intelligent, well crafted script based on the classic Steinbeck novel. And it's deep with the way it delves into the human condition.

This isn't just about Lenny, a mentally slow childlike man with the strength of an ox. It's about people who have no future but desperately need to dream of having one. It's about depression era people wanting some sort of security like a place of their own. But even more than that, it's about lonely people who are isolated and are starving for some form of human interaction.

We see that in Mae (Betty Field)...her husband has one hell of an attitude and takes it out on his wife by cutting her off from human contact. We see it in Crooks (Leigh Whipper) the black man who's forced to live in a shack by himself. Like Mae he's not allowed to interact with the farm hands and so he dies a bit inside from lack of friendship. We see it in the lonely old man with one hand, who's only friend is his aging dog.

And ultimately we see this yearning for a better life in George (Burgess Meredith) who's smart enough to get somewhere in life, but is being held back by his cousin Lenny who he's saddled with.

This is so much more than just the ending scene, which is really symbolic for being free from that which holds you down.

Great film.

It Happened One Night (1934)

I love this film! I watched it the other night for the 4th time. Usually I don't like rewatching movies over and over, but as soon as the movie started playing I was instantly into the story and hooked for the duration of the film. That to me is a mark of a damn good movie. And this is one damn good movie!

I love the dialogue in this film, it's so witty, so naturalistic. I love the way they will have long exchanges about seemingly nothing important, which then ends up telling us much about the couple. The piggy back discussion and the talk of how to hitchhike are good examples of the brilliantly written script. In this way the film reminds me of Pulp Fiction.

I laughed out loud at the: 'yeah....oh yeah' bit with Gable and the bus driver, ha. I loved the way the couple are seemingly mish mashed and yet form a bond by the end of the film.

Clark Gable is the man! This is the type of role he's famous for. He's perfect here as the likable roguish reporter who's a bit rough around the edges but has integrity to spare.

OMG Claudette Colbert is she a doll in this or what! Damn she's so adorable while being a spoiled rich brat. She's one of my all time favorite actresses and I've seen her in a of films and she's always good too, but her she shines!

It Happened One Night, has a special place in my heart as it was one of the first classic films I seen, some 15 years ago and it got me hooked.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	It Happened One Night 1934.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	46704  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

This IS a pretty impressive psychological horror for it's time and, watching this, it's easy to see how cricket would enjoy this as a modern film. It does have a more visceral experience while also adding more depth than simply the usual "gentleman and the brute".

March does an excellent job as both sides of "Good Ash and Bad Ash" lol. But, seriously, there is a very good mix of the two. It isn't a completely stark line separating the two. Jekyll is not completely wholesome and Hyde isn't narrowed down to simply being a monster. He is the unleashed, unfettered Jekyll.
I've seen a few versions of this story in my time and the norm is that both aspects are at the farthest extremes of one another. Day and night as it were. But in this film, we see a far more intimate correlation between the two "sides".
We see the "why" of Mr. Hyde's appetite as we witness Jekyll's frustrations and impatience. Giving a more fuller, more connected bond between the two parts of one man. A lot of this is in much of the dialogue that both Jekyll and Hyde share the same beliefs.

Dr. Jekyll: Things one can't do, are the ones I want to.

Dr. Jekyll: That's not a matter of conduct; but, elementary instinct.
Dr. Lanyon: You ought to control those instincts.
Dr. Jekyll: Are you pretending that either can or do? We may control our actions; but, not our impulses.

One odd scene I rather enjoyed was the (I believe) the first night Mr. Hyde goes out, and it's raining and he looks up and smiles, enjoying the rain. I found that a nice touch showing the uninhibited, primal joy of being in the rain.

With some of the camerawork, the initial first person POV, I was a little iffy about. I do enjoy the technique, but for some reason, and this is solely on me, it seemed to cause a hesitation in the movie getting started. Again, I didn't dislike it, I simply had an iffy experience to it.
The split screens DID work pretty well for me. Especially in scenes where there is a slow close to one side as a final comment was made.
Same goes with the acrobatic/jumping of Mr. Hyde when he was being chased. Exhibiting his more primate side, as it were.

And, of course, before I close I MUST give due credit to Miriam Hopkins as the victimized Ivy Pearson. My heart TRULY went out to her and for her. An excellent, excellent bit of acting, procuring such sympathy from us, the audience.

And yes, CR, this DOES deserve one of my BRAVOs!!

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

This IS a pretty impressive psychological horror for it's time.. It does have a more visceral experience while also adding more depth than simply the usual "gentleman and the brute".

And yes, CR, this DOES deserve one of my BRAVOs!!
Glad you liked it! For me it's going to be one helluva tough call to pick the #1 film. So many great films in this HoF. I'm loving this Hof, I wish we would have had time to do a third one. Well maybe someday.