Have been looking for this movie for 10 years

Tools    

The movie is from the 20th century, maybe the early 80's. I will go in extreme detail because I remember everything of the movie.... EXCEPT THE TITLE!

There is 3 main protagonists, lets call them A,B, and C.
"A" moves to a new town with his single mother at the age of 10 or 12, I believe it was New York, but it could have been a poor neighborhood in Queens, Bronx, or else. "A" starts getting bullied in school, when B and C defend him and start hanging out with him. Both B and C are of Italian american families. B is the leader of the gang, his dad is cool but is always grounding him because he gets in a lot of trouble. C is a hypochondriac, taking pills or drinking shakes to take care of his health when he is perfectly healthy, and his family owns a pizzeria where the kids hang out a lot. I guess it is worth mentioning the 3 kids wore white wife-beaters shirts all the time.

A,B and C start doing bad stuff. I remember they skip school and decide to go fishing - in this incident they happen to catch a fish in a lake that hasn't have any fish for over 50 years and a newspaper guy happens to take a picture of them, which A's mother see the next day and ground him for skipping school. I also remember they steal wine from the catholic church B and C's families went to and get caught. A gets grounded for 2 weeks, B for a month (his father was the strictest) and C does not get grounded because he was the one who snitched (lol).

The years pass by and A,B and C become grown ups in their late 20's I believe. They become thugs who ask people to pay them for protection. A becomes some sort of drugadict due to his cousin. There is also a romantic part of the movie involving B and the woman he is marrying too (he knows her since they were kids), and C, the hypochondriac one, reveals he is dating a doctor. During the middle of the movie there are a lot of scenes of B playing basketball with his friends and having to ask them to take a break because he is tired.

The plot moves on, and it is revealed that B has a medical condition in which he is loosing his movement (I believe it was ALC) and will most likely die in a few months at the rate he is currently at. I dont remember exactly why or how, but the three of them (A,B and C) find out this big mafioso house is going to be empty for a period of a few hours, so they decide to sneak in and steal a lot of money from him. They manage to do it and open a bar.

The mafioso visits them to the bar (they are scared as hell thinking he is going to kill them for robbing him) but the mafioso gave me the impression he is somewhat proud of them, he saw they took a chance to make their dream come true, and doesnt hold any grudge against them. B's baby is born, he spends the last 10 days of his life with him. The bar is taken care of by A, C and B's wife.

Hope somebody can help me, I saw the movie in Spanish but I am extremly sure it was American, the title would translate to something like "My best friends" or "Best friend forever" but I have had not luck with any of those searches.

I've been searching around for this movie for you and the closest I've come is I came across a reddit thread from two years ago where a person called ThisOpenFist is also looking for the movie you're talking about.

"Older movie about three Italian-American brothers or close friends.
One of them struggles with drug addiction, one of them develops brain cancer and becomes paraplegic, and they all steal some money to open a bar together.
What is this movie called?
I saw it on TV when I was a kid. No, it's not Three Brothers or any classic mobster movie.
Edit: It's not a crime drama or a sports drama, though there happen to be a football scene and a house burglary scene."

Unless that's your reddit account... Did you see this movie on TV? Could it be a television released film?

I've been searching around for this movie for you and the closest I've come is I came across a reddit thread from two years ago where a person called ThisOpenFist is also looking for the movie you're talking about.

"Older movie about three Italian-American brothers or close friends.
One of them struggles with drug addiction, one of them develops brain cancer and becomes paraplegic, and they all steal some money to open a bar together.
What is this movie called?
I saw it on TV when I was a kid. No, it's not Three Brothers or any classic mobster movie.
Edit: It's not a crime drama or a sports drama, though there happen to be a football scene and a house burglary scene."

Unless that's your reddit account... Did you see this movie on TV? Could it be a television released film?
That is exactly like the movie I am looking for! It is not my reddit account btw. I am not sure, where I saw it, it may have been TNT, HBO or a channel called ISAT where they played independent films.

I dont know if it was a television released film, but the movie looked from a really high quality from what I remember, so I don't think so.

That is exactly like the movie I am looking for! It is not my reddit account btw. I am not sure, where I saw it, it may have been TNT, HBO or a channel called ISAT where they played independent films.

I dont know if it was a television released film, but the movie looked from a really high quality from what I remember, so I don't think so.
I sent the person on Reddit a message, hopefully they found a title to the movie. Though they haven't posted for over a year so I'm not sure I'll get a response

I'm not sure if all the details line up (though they often don't in these situations), but that actually sounds a bit like a TV series called The Black Donnellys[/i][/url].
Thanks for the help, but unfortunately it is not.

Another details that might help from the movie:
* C gets a blowjob from a prostitute in a car before getting married, while A and B tell him yo grab her ass from outside the car's window. The prostite ends up stealing money from C and all three amigos beat up the pimp for C's money back.
* B brings his father a new sink (obviously stolen) and his father refuses it because he says it was not gained with hard work or something. After a heavy argument B burst in rage saying that is the life he has and his father should at least be gratefull he is still trying to help. All this happens in front of B's mom, A, and C who were having launch at B's house. B ends up leaving and his dad mentions he will install the sink in the afternoon or something.

This movie have haunted me for years.

Still looking for the movie if anybody can help.

By the way, how often do you bump up an old thread? A week, a month, a year? I know I am not the only one looking for help.

I think I found it: True Friends (1998). I haven't been able to find a detailed plot summary, but one IMDb user review says

[T]here are two scenes which stayed in my memory all these years. The first is when they bunk school to go fishing, and they get caught the next day when their photo appears in the newspaper. The other scene is when towards the end, Joey tells his wife, Gina, "I cant move my legs".
That's got to be it, right?

I think I found it: True Friends (1998). I haven't been able to find a detailed plot summary, but one IMDb user review says

That's got to be it, right?
YES YES YES!!!! The kids with the wife beater shirts, you made my week!!!! This might be my favorite movie of all time. Thank a lot dude!!!

I've been reading this thread and now I'm going to watch the movie..nice one..glad you found it.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Still looking for the movie if anybody can help.

By the way, how often do you bump up an old thread? A week, a month, a year? I know I am not the only one looking for help.
Well that was obviously a successful bump. Good job, Fredh and dude!

I dont know what the exact netiquette is but up to the forum owner I would say. Yoda is pretty flexible but I've seen him ask a poster not to bump every day. That just irritates people and wont get any help. I asked a question when I first arrived a year ago and havent bumped because 1. I didnt want to annoy people, 2. My details on it are pretty vague because I half saw the movie years and years ago when I was awoken by banging on the front door in the middle of the night and cant even be sure it wasnt a nightmare because it was pretty horrible/traumatising, and 3. I sort of forgot but remember every now and then. I should probably give it a shove. Your bump was not gratuitous, though. Sounds like a fun movie and I'll keep an eye out for it. Hope you both stick around.

Yeah, we'll make an exception for occasional bumps after long periods of time. At least then there's a good chance a lot of people will be seeing it for the first time, as opposed to every day or week when it's mostly the same people who didn't know the first time.

Good one, fred!