The 8th MoFo Hall of Fame

Tools    

I'm done with the movies. I didn't watch The Killing Fields as Beatle isn't around (but I wish him well and hope he returns to MoFo someday).

Man! Those were all excellent nominations! All of them, were good in there own way. You guys did a fine job at choosing them.....Now I have to try and rate them, which is not going to be easy.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I didn't watch The Killing Fields
At some point in time I think you should watch it, though. I don't know if you will like it as much as I did, but I think it would still be a good movie for you to see.

I watched "Pather Panchali" tonight. I will tell you what I thought about it a little later, though. I decided to not watch the other two films, but I may watch them in the future. Actually, I probably will. I am curious to see how it will all play out. I haven't decided just yet when I will. Maybe after I am completely done with this HoF.

I have only 4 movies left. And they are all re-watches.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Head-On POTENTIAL SPOILERS

Really surprised with how good this movie was for me, as I thought it would be one that I wouldn't really enjoy all that much. But the story is very well made. It isn't a bright story with a happy ending, but it is an engrossing film about two characters who had interesting and dangerous paths. I wish it could have been a happier one for both of them, but I still enjoyed following the two of them. There were a lot of shocks to me which kept me glued to what was happening in the film. The first shock when the husband was sent to prison, the second shock for the fact that Sibelius remained alive after her brutal beating when I thought for sure she was dead. I thought the leads really acted well. The music was riveting and the script was really well made. I hope for this movie to do well.

Pather Panchali: I enjoyed this quite a bit. Very culturally rich film with compelling characters. Effecting look at poverty. I read a bit about this after watching and I was surprised to hear that there has been some criticism that this film glorifies poverty. I thought it was a very sobering look, and what feels like a realistic one. To suggest that people in this much poverty don't hope or find diversion feels very simplistic. Feels like someone's perception of poverty rather than the reality.

I especially enjoyed the mother character in this. I like how we can still feel her stress of battling with pride and trying to provide for her children. I think the daughter's actions are a great juxtaposition to this because she only cares about getting the fruit. How people think of her or the consequences are irrelevant. Her relationship with Auntie was beautiful.

The ending is fantastic. Great call back, and something that had completely left my mind. I would be lying if I didn't say this movie dragged for me sometimes, but the themes and characters will stick with me and certainly get me to watch the rest of the trilogy. Another fine nom by Sane.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I read a bit about this after watching and I was surprised to hear that there has been some criticism that this film glorifies poverty.
Where did you read that? I can't understand how someone would've gotten that sort of impression from this film. I just thought it was a story being told about a family. And it just so happened that this family was a struggling one. And because they were struggling, that helped to create this story that was being told. I didn't see any sort of glorification whatsoever.

I thought it was a very sobering look, and what feels like a realistic one. To suggest that people in this much poverty don't hope or find diversion feels very simplistic. Feels like someone's perception of poverty rather than the reality.
You have no idea how much I agree with what you are saying here.

Do you think you will be watching the other two films? I think that I will give them a chance at some point in the next year. I have actually become quite curious to see how the rest of the story plays out.

Where did you read that? I can't understand how someone would've gotten that sort of impression from this film. I just thought it was a story being told about a family. And it just so happened that this family was a struggling one. And because they were struggling, that helped to create this story that was being told. I didn't see any sort of glorification whatsoever.
It's Wikipedia entry said that is a main criticism of the film by those who don't like it. I take that with a grain of salt, but still, I am surprised it enters anyone's mind while watching this.

Do you think you will be watching the other two films? I think that I will give them a chance at some point in the next year. I have actually become quite curious to see how the rest of the story plays out.
Yeah, I will. I DVR all three in case I liked it, so I will get to them. I also DVR a doc about Ray which I noticed Markf watched, so I may check that out too.

Citizen sent me his list two days ago. Christmas is approacing, how far is everyone in?

Along with Killing Fields and Aguirre, i have Head on, Patlabor 2 and Life as a Dog left

Along with Killing Fields and Aguirre, i have Head on, Patlabor 2 and Life as a Dog left
Is Aguirre no longer disqualified?
Aguirre is out for sure. Killing Fields and FAFDM are very likely to be disqualified, though it wont be official untill the HoF ends.

I will certainly get to a few more in the next few days. I've been in a lot of HOFs so you can count on me

Speaking of the ninth HOf, I am in and also I would host if everyone is OK. If not that is fine too.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I am probably rewatching Head-On this week but if necessary could submit a list without rewatching it.

The only one I haven't been able to get hold of is Lady Killer.

I am probably rewatching Head-On this week but if necessary could submit a list without rewatching it.

The only one I haven't been able to get hold of is Lady Killer.
I watched Lady Killer on iTunes, $2.99 for SD and $3.99 for HD.

...Speaking of the ninth HOf, I am in and also I would host if everyone is OK. If not that is fine too.
I'm OK with Raul doing the 9th. I never hosted the main Hof so I would like to host the 10th Hof.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Lady Killer

For some reason I didn’t expect to enjoy this much, but I actually found it pretty entertaining. It’s pacey and amusing with smart dialogue (“income tax, I wish I had a piece of that racket”) and it looks good. Cagney is good as the rebellious cinema worker turned conman turned actor (for three bucks a day and a box lunch), and I liked Mae Clarke and Margaret Lindsay as the two women in his life as well. It’s light and mainstream, sure, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I liked it.

A Man For All Seasons

Having seen two Zinnemann flicks before this and being pretty decent fans of both (especially High Noon), I have to say I was a tad bit disappointed with this one. The story didn't really wow me for whatever reason. The ending dragged for me and there were scenes that just were too bland for me. I thought the end could have been more suspenseful and I found it to be a tad bit too predictable. I did think that the costume design was really well done and I can't deny that Paul Scofield as Thomas More did a great job. Actually pretty much all of the acting was rather spot on. It's just that it's story didn't engage me and while the acting was great I didn't feel a huge connection to the characters. It's too bad, because I know Sean really likes this and we often have similar taste in film. Here's hoping Anatomy of A Murder will be a match.

-