Movie Tab II

Tools    

Aliens -

Kickass movie, I love it. James Cameron is the man.

The queen xenomorph... that's about as epic as epic gets. The only thing going through my mind during the shot which introduced her was "whoooooooooooooooooooooooa!".

A system of cells interlinked
Sunset Boulevard (Wilder, 1950) - I love this film! I have seen it many times at this point, and it only gets better.

"There once was a time in this business when I had the eyes of the whole world! But that wasn't good enough for them, oh no! They had to have the ears of the whole world too. So they opened their big mouths and out came talk. Talk! TALK!!"

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
The Spirit (2008) -

i really like this movie. It was actually incredibly funny which was surprising but i laughed at it a lot and it's super watchable. I saw it on christmas day then i saw it again this weekend because i had some sort of craving for it. I love it when that happens

The War of the Roses (1989) - i dunno

I can't decide what to rate this movie because i realize it's not very good but i used to watch it alllll the time when i was little then i completely forgot about it until i saw it at half-priced books the other day and bought it. So i still love this movie a lot but it's still...not very...good...i suppose...maybe

Citizen Kane (1941) -

[first viewing]

this was my first time watching Citizen Kane and it was way better than i thought it would be. I like the depth of it, like this picture ^^^ he's a miniscule portion caught in all of his material posessions that overwhelm him, a lot fo the way the movie was shot has that sort of feel to it, especially when the wife is doing jigsaw puzzles alone in the giant castle. And i love when Kane says "If i hadn't been rich, i might have been a really great man." his money is holding him back yet it was the thing that enabled his genius. it's sort of like money vs. your humanity...so anyway yeah i really liked it.

This is Spinal Tap (1984) -

[first viewing]

Super super funny, tons of memorable moments and quotable lines.

House of 1,000 Corpses (2003) -

[first viewing]

With Rob Zombie's movies (except Halloween because it was just horrible) i can't ever pin point what wasn't that good about them... i felt the same sort of thing at the end of Devil's Rejects too and i can't really describe why it wasn't good or what it was missing or if it had too much of something...so i dunno, middle rating for now

A system of cells interlinked
The War of the Roses isn't a good film... it's great! I like it a whole lot.

The problem with R. Zombie's films is that he is a total hack.

I agree regarding The War of the Roses; I like it a lot, also. I love the way the story is told throughout the film.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
phew i thought i was alone, i love the ending where Kathleen Turner pushes his hand off of her, it's hilarious

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Ugh, it's so painful to admit this, but I like that picture of Citizen Kane and the way you describe it makes it sound not completely detestable. I supose I'll rewatch it. I watched it in like 6th grade with super high expectations seeing as it was AFI's greatest movie of all time and...let's just say I was not pleased. That movie has just come to represent the embodiment of all of those boring, monotone, overrated, critic's wet dream kind of movies that get all the undeserved credit for being the "best" while real creative talent is being ignored. As I said though, I'll try to stifle my hate for it enough to rewatch it in a more mature mindset.

Magnum Force -

Man this was a great movie, not quite as good as the first Dirty Harry, but still a great movie. Clint Eastwood is perfect in the role of Harry Callahan, he just plays it perfect. I was considering bumping this up to a 10/10, but I just decided that the rating I gave would do fine. So far I'm really loving the Dirty Harry series, I still have 3 more of the movies from the Dirty Harry series to watch though, so hopefully I'll still love it after I watch the next three movies. But this is definitely a movie to anyone who's a fan of Clint Eastwood, like I am. But yeah, this movie was great.

Apocalypto (2006) -

(First viewing)

WOW. I was not expecting such a unbelievably great film; I thought it was going to be a boring, 2-hour long cougar-fighting action film about Mayans. But this film is so much more than that. It is one of the most intense, captivating films I have seen in my life. Apocalypto will easily make my top ten list with a rewatch, and in fact probably even my top five. My thoughts right now include immediately making this my second favorite film of all-time. I want to... that's how much it blew me away.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Sorry to repeat rice a bit but:

The Spirit

I loved sin city but for some reason wasn't expecting much from The Spirit, which made it even nicer when it turned out to be awesome. First off, I'll admit some of the dialog irked me, and the girl who played the young Sand Saref was horrible, and Miller didn't take any chances veering away from the signature look he set in Sin City. However, I still love the movie. It was so zany and random and visually stunning and absolutely hilarious. And the characters are all fantastic, I loved every one of them. And I've officially forgiven Scarlett Johansson for marrying Ryan Reynolds(he'll leave her for me I know it!), I've always been pretty neutral towards her but she really won me over with her Silken Floss.

House of 1000 Corpses

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a sucker for horror movies, but Rob Zombie, you disappoint me. I didn't care about any of the characters, the kill scenes weren't creative or even that gory...the only thing the movie really had to offer were the impressively crazy killers and pretty cool, classic set design.

Black Christmas(2006)

Don't judge me. I liked it. It was fun, funny, and didn't try to be anything it wasn't.
I'll give it a pending

La Vie En Rose

Wow. There was so much about this movie that was incredible, but the wow was for Marion Cotillard. I'm so glad she won that oscar. And while that was what struck me right away, the rest of the movie I'm liking more and more with time. And I watched some interviews with Marion Cotillard and the director and I really like how they approached making the movie. Marion Cotillard didn't practice gestures in front of the mirror or anything, she just transformed herself completely and immediately when the camera turned on. And I like how Olivier Dahan wasn't looking to do a movie on Edith Piaf, but just one about an artist and how they percieve the world and she was the figure that came to him. I'm fairly confident in saying that this is next in line as my favorite biography right after Into the Wild. The only reason I'm not giving it a perfect scor is because of how much the movie jumped between time periods in the last half hour or so. I don't think there's ever an easy way to fit a person's whol life into a few hours, but the choppiness was pretty bothersome.

The War of the Roses isn't a good film... it's great! I like it a whole lot.

The problem with R. Zombie's films is that he is a total hack.
I agree with all of that.

What's Up, Doc? (1972)

Director ~ Peter Bogdanovich

Barbra Streisand
Ryan O'Neal
Madeline Kahn
John Hillerman
Kenneth Mars
Austin Pendleton
Randy Quaid
M. Emmet Walsh
Michael Murphy
Sorrell Booke
Graham Jarvis
Philip Roth
Liam Dunn . . .

I haven't seen this in years, but I recently purchased it, and many others. I will list them later on in the DVD thread. If you haven't seen this movie, you truly should. It's very funny. I also love the cast. It's fun remembering everything I've seen them all in.

Welcome to the human race...

Down By Law (Jarmusch, 1986) -

It's funny, really. This film (along with Stranger Than Paradise) seems like a well-done parody of black-and-white arthouse films, with its erratic quality of acting, plenty of seemingly meaningless scenes, black-and-white photography, etc. I still reckon it's an OK film to watch, but I find the whole "less-is-more" approach doesn't work particularly well for me.

Apocalypto (2006) -

(First viewing)

WOW. I was not expecting such a unbelievably great film; I thought it was going to be a boring, 2-hour long cougar-fighting action film about Mayans. But this film is so much more than that. It is one of the most intense, captivating films I have seen in my life. Apocalypto will easily make my top ten list with a rewatch, and in fact probably even my top five. My thoughts right now include immediately making this my second favorite film of all-time. I want to... that's how much it blew me away.

I love Apocalypto and will probably be adding it to my top 100 list when I redo it...

Recently watched:

The Duchess (2008) 4/5 ... very moving sad movie... Keira Knightley did an excellent job as the Duchess...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Man on Wire (James Marsh, 2008)

I know, my rating seems a little low for a film depicting a real-life incident almost completely unbelievable, not to mention often exciting and funny. Perhaps, I'll raise my rating next time, but this is still a recommendation for a film which somehow left me feeling as if I was missing a little something. Maybe it was because it wasn't as documented visually as I was hoping, but then again, what did I expect? I know how things were in 1974 when Frenchman Philippe Petit and his small crew of linesman and helpers made it to the top of the World Trade Center, and Petit proceeded to walk back and forth between the Twin Towers for 45 minutes with no safety cable, while the police try to remove him for violating the law by being "man on wire" (according to the NYPD citation). I will rewatch the film and change my rating if I deem it necessary. I liked the offbeat humor the film displays, but sometimes it seems a bit extended.

Ivanhoe (Richard Thorpe, 1952)

Surprisingly, this M-G-M romantic action-adventure seems to get better with each passing year. The story, concerning Richard the Lionheart's kidnapping/ransom during the Crusades while England suffers under the rule of Prince John (Guy Rolfe), is full of strong characters and plotting and doesn't shy away from labeling people, whether they be Normans, Saxons, Jews, etc. The hero is Sir Wilfred of Ivanhoe (Robert Taylor), the estranged son of his Sir Cedric (Finlay Currie), who learns of Richard's imprisonment in Austria and returns home to raise a ransom and try to dispatch as many Norman as possible, the chief of whom is Bois-Guilbert (George Sanders). Ivanhoe is aided by the love of his life, Lady Rowena (Joan Fontaine) and also the beautiful daughter (Elizabeth Taylor) of a wealthy Jewish nobleman (Felix Aylmer). The film is photographed in gorgeous color and graced with a memorable Miklós Rózsa score. It also contains three rousing action highlights: the lists where Ivanhoe poses as the Black Knight and jousts with five of Prince John's men in succession; the spectacular siege by the Saxons and their longbowsmen of a Norman castle; and the duel to the death at the end between Ivanhoe and Bois-Guilbert. Great entertainment.

The Blot (Lois Weber, 1921)

This is a little-seen, but still interesing silent drama concerning the gulf between the haves and the have-nots. The wisest character in the film is a Professor who cannot even earn enough money to keep food on his famiy's table. His wife almost steals food from her rich neighbors, and when her beautiful daughter witnesses this, she's incredibly embarrassed for her family. However, one of the Professor's students (Louis Calhern) is attracted to the daughter and feels sorry for her and her family, so he tries to help them by secretly leaving them some money in their home during a visit, but unfortunately it gets lost! That's enough plot, but I will say that the film is still watchable and interestingly made. One technique which I enjoyed is that during some title cards, you could see a character moving around in the corner, and when they edited back to the film proper, that character would be front-and-center in the scene. However, this film is VERY significant historically because the director, Lois Weber, was the first woman to direct a feature film. She directed and starred as Portia in the 1914 film The Merchant of Venice. Weber remained a successful silent director, but she directed only one talking film, White Heat (1934).

Mr. Hulot's Holiday (Jacques Tati, 1953)

I've never liked the cliché that "comedy is subjective", but sometimes when you see a comedian who is very original, it does challenge my intolerance of that phrase. I've seen several Tati films, and I'll be the first to admit that much of them seem to be a whole heckuva lot of nothing. Then again, there are occasional bursts of ecstatic joy to be found in each one. This film probably has as much joy as any of them. Mr. Hulot is a simple Frenchman who goes to a seaside resort for a week of relaxation, but what he finds relaxing frays most other vacationers' nerves. Hulot is a true innocent at heart, but just as some children cannot tell right from wrong, Hulot can cause plenty of trouble by just trying to be happy. There are some classic scenes in this film involving a car, a bicycle and some fireworks. There are also extended scenes, which while cinematic in their use of sound, may test the patience of some viewers. However, it's probably true that without Hulot, there would be no Clouseau or Bean.

Scream 3 -

Just about as enjoyable as the second Scream. Some witty dialogue and film references and a couple of pretty cool moments throughout involving the killer, but ultimately I'm not a big fan of the trilogy and this installation didn't help reverse that.

Donnie Darko -

My first rewatch in nearly a year. The film and its concept is both enthralling and intriguing, but I'm not quite sure I can consider it "Top 10 material" any longer after tonight's viewing. I like Donnie Darko very much, but to make room for other films I've recently seen for the first time like The Godfather and The Day the Earth Stood Still, Donnie Darko is one I can remove.

Boogeyman 3
- I think this is the best out of all three releases. The first was alright, the second kinda dragged but this was a pretty good flick. I enjoyed it.

Donnie Darko -

My first rewatch in nearly a year. The film and its concept is both enthralling and intriguing, but I'm not quite sure I can consider it "Top 10 material" any longer after tonight's viewing. I like Donnie Darko very much, but to make room for other films I've recently seen for the first time like The Godfather and The Day the Earth Stood Still, Donnie Darko is one I can remove.
That's what happened to me with my most recent rewatch.

Boogeyman 3
- I think this is the best out of all three releases. The first was alright, the second kinda dragged but this was a pretty good flick. I enjoyed it.

I didn't even know there was another sequel to Boogeyman. I enjoyed the first two pretty well, both about
's in my eyes. The second one took the first in a new direction, the killer [spoiler] being human instead of "the Boogeyman." I had mixed feelings about that, but I thought the end result was decent nonetheless.

I didn't even know there was another sequel to Boogeyman.....
It won't hit rental shelves till Jan 20, 2009.