Your take on downloading movies

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
I'm using "quotes" because I'm referring to your usage of the words.

Anyhow, the point I'm trying to make is that there isn't, besides the people breaking the law, anyone trying to amend these laws. The companies sure aren't going to/want to change these laws. They want to enforce the hell out of them/make more stingy ones.

BTW, precedents with these laws is basically non-existent. Many individuals are convicted, while others aren't convicted. I'd rather stake my fines/jail time on the actual word for word law, rather than some precedent.

The problem is people who have no understanding, or very little understanding, are the ones that are making laws and regulations on the Internet and these media formats. Companies know this, and they take advantage of it. I don't know what world you live in Naisy, but people/companies are not absolutely altruistic. It would be nice if they were; but sorry, that is most certainly not the case.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

[quote=John McClane;486582]I'm using "quotes" because I'm referring to your usage of the words.

Anyhow, the point I'm trying to make is that there isn't, besides the people breaking the law, anyone trying to amend these laws. The companies sure aren't going to/want to change these laws. They want to enforce the hell out of them/make more stingy ones.

BTW, precedents with these laws is basically non-existent. Many individuals are convicted, while others aren't convicted. I'd rather stake my fines/jail time on the actual word for word law, rather than some precedent.

The problem is people who have no understanding, or very little understanding, are the ones that are making laws and regulations on the Internet and these media formats. Companies know this, and they take advantage of it. I don't know what world you live in Naisy, but people/companies are not absolutely altruistic. It would be nice if they were; but sorry, that is most certainly not the case.
Please show how you come by this information? That no governmental body is hiring out experts in this field to help determine what laws and instead they have chosen to go with monkeys to decide what the proposed laws should be. How are companies taking advantage of this? By having copyrite protection on their products? oooooo. The companies are only going within the laws provided by Mr Government. So I dont know what world you live in where the companies are in absolute control of the world. Asides from the prevention of personal back up copies not being legal what is your problem with the current legislation? Whats your problem with the companies?

too funny
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I clicked on one of this forums "watch free movies" links on the front page and it says it has Slumdog Millionaire on it. I am currently trying to download it and then I'm going to watch it if it is in fact the movie.

Is this illegal? I don't care either way... I'm not even convinced I'm downloading the movie until I actually see it on my puter screen. If this is in fact illegal though, are you (Yoda) going to allow these ads up there? Its the Graboid.com one. They also claim to have several others to download that are currently in theaters right now. You can supposedly download up to 4000mb's for free before they try to get your credit card number out of you.

So what's the deal? Legal or not legal? Smells fishy to me...

I'll have to take a look. As you probably already know, the ads in the header are generated automatically by Google, and thus I'm assuming they are screened to some degree. If absolutely necessary, I can choose to screen out certain specific URLs, though blocking out certain topics altogether is a bit trickier.

I'll poke around a bit and see if any other websites have raised this issue with Google before.

Well I'm watching it right now... it appears to be the genuine article. The nice thing is Des, I didn't have to actually download it to my hard drive. It gets stored in a sort of online memory bank that you are allowed to store up to 4000 mb's on. It doesn't appear that you are able to actually do anything other than watch it. I can't save it to my hard drive or copy it or anything. So I don't know if this is illegal or what. Seems to me it probably is, but like I said, I'm probably not going to lose sleep over it.

This actually is pretty cool. I may sign up for the $4.99 a month deal. You can download 10,000 mb's a month. Not bad. I can't afford to go to see most of the movies that are out right now so this is definitely a cheaper way to go.

Rule of thumb involved with illegal activities, never pay anyone for anything. Two major reasons why; one, there's plenty of free sources that do the same thing and two, paying someone leaves a paper trail right to your front door. It's like robbing a bank and dropping a quarter every few feet on the way home. Just not smart.

Well I'm watching it right now... it appears to be the genuine article.
sweet

I didn't have to actually download it to my hard drive. .....It doesn't appear that you are able to actually do anything other than watch it.

I may sign up for the $4.99 a month deal. You can download 10,000 mb's a month. .I can't afford to go to see most of the movies that are out right now so this is definitely a cheaper way to go.
whoa..whoa Why spend $$$? If you want, you can watch the movies on sites streamed. Just click play and enjoy.

I'm probably not going to lose sleep over it.
I wouldn't either buddy.

Yeah I tried that with Slumdog and it said it wasn't able to stream. I'm pretty sure they just want you to download stuff so you hit the limit and then you have to pay to get more bandwidth...

I'm going to do this a few more times and then check out their security. I'm going to sign up again using a different email and see if they trace my IP or not. If they don't then I'll just keep signing up for free until they figure it out.

Downloading movies of any kind, imho, is an absolute and total disgrace, and it's yet another facet of people wanting to obtain something for nothing. The fact that so many people get away with this kind of piracy is awful...and disgusting.

Also, downloading movies into one's computer or iPod is pretty disgraceful too. I think I'll stick to seeing great films in the movie theatre, as they're meant to be seen, thanks.

Downloading movies of any kind, imho, is an absolute and total disgrace, and it's yet another facet of people wanting to obtain something for nothing. The fact that so many people get away with this kind of piracy is awful...and disgusting.

Also, downloading movies into one's computer or iPod is pretty disgraceful too. I think I'll stick to seeing great films in the movie theatre, as they're meant to be seen, thanks.
Well, that was a pretty insightful and well thought out post...

One could argue that once a film leaves the theatre, you'll never achieve the same experience again -- regardless of whether or not it's being downloaded or bought on DVD. I think many people are under a complete misapprehension about pirated films; not every pirated film is of terrible quality and was filmed on a camcorder while in the theatre.

Personally, I am not "for" or "against" pirating movies/music/whatever -- so don't misunderstand me. I do think films should be experienced in the theatre, but many just view cinema as a "lower" form of art form than, say, literature.

A system of cells interlinked
It's not illegal to make the copy, just to break copy protection. From what I read in recent news about it, the issue is still in flux. The Digital Act that enforces this is pretty recent, and it actually directly contradicts current US copyright law.

Most experts agree that the one legal back-up that copyright law enforces will be upheld for personal use, once everything gets ironed out.

Some of my family members make personal copies of DVDs.
I do that too. No harm done.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Okay, let me come clean, I have downloaded a total of 5movies. I know, but I have my excuses.

The Wrestler
(Not being released in my area, Not on DVD soon enough for Oscars, and Rated R, and no adult will see it with me)

Frozen River
(Not being released on DVD soon enough for Oscars)

Rachel Getting Married
(Not on DVD soon enough and MPAA rating)

Milk
(MPAA Rating)

Revoloutionary Road
(Not being released in my area, and MPAA Rating)

I can only say I am sorry... And that I will buy all these films when they come out on DVD to try to make up for lost revenue...

I can sympathize with many of these. Revolutionary Road and The Wrestler had extremely limited releases. Luckily, I'll be in New York next week so I'll be able to see them...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You do realize that many of the films in limited release will go wider next month, especially if they get Oscar noms?