Spy Kids

Tools    

I saw Spy Kids yesterday, I gotta say I was pretty impressed. It was intelligent, but not too complicated for kids. I even laughed at all the jokes! Rodriguez did a great job on this one, I rank it up there with The Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka. The website is great too (http://www.spykids.com/homepage), it has a lot of the feel of the movie.

I might see this at some point, but I can think of a few videos I'd rather rent. Tell me this much: could they have thought of a dumber title?

Welcome to MovieForums, by the way.

I agree, Spy Kids was a great film for it's type. My kids are now playing "Spy" 24/7, and I didn't find the movie boring or uninteresting.

That website's great too. My kids love it. Defintely not your usual movie site. I like it a lot.

Spy Kids was fine family fun.

It doesn't offer an awful lot for the teenage or young adult market, it's strictly for the kids and their parents though.

What surprised me most was the gluttony of ideas from Rodriguez? He never tired of creating new, amazing gadgets and gizmos. From the electrified bubble gum and McDonald's oven to the Thumb-Thumbs and Floogies, it was tireless work of the imagination.

Also, the involvement of a Latino family rather than a Caucasion one was wonderfully subtle, it was never preached that we're doing this because we're fighting for our Spanish brothers or anything. Hopefully more films can be made using minorities but never expressing their minority. The only mention of "Latino" was in a funny line near the end.

Rodriguez has hopefully started a franchise here. The kids were thankfully real. While the boy provided most of the comedy, mostly slapstick, it was up to his sister to provide the real acting. She was up to it. A very mature performance from a 13 year old. Usually they'd get a 16 year old to play this part. Wow!

Banderas is adept at both comedy and action; this film tests the former. He is fun as usual as is his on-screen wife. Great chemistry.

The bad guys are gleefully entertaining. Cummings is Willy Wonka encarnate and Shalhoub strikes down another winning performance. Why was I the only laughing at his efforts to be comfortable on the chair? I guess the kids were too busy booing him.

Go check it out.