Supernatural Drama

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm not a big fan of strong horror of the scary slasher/zombie/gore variety, but I do like fantasy/horror or supernatural drama. A few examples of the kind of thing I mean: Interview with the Vampire, The Crow, Pan's Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone, Stigmata, and on the sillier end of the scale, Sleepy Hollow and The Mummy.

Does anyone have any recommendations of this kind of film?

Rosemary's Baby (1968), Don't Look Now (1973), Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975), The Innocents (1961), The Haunting (1963), The Others (2001), Séance on a Wet Afternoon (1964), Stir of Echoes (1999), The Changeling (1980), Portrait of Jennie (1948), The Uninvited (1944), What Lies Beneath (2000), Ghost Story (1981), Kwaidan (1964), The Rapture (1991), Dead Again (1991), Angel Heart (1987), Fallen (1998), Eyes of Laura Mars (1978)...

That should keep you busy for a while.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Poltergeist is my favorite supernatural movie. The second and third ones got stupid with the whole Preacher Kane thing, but the first one has a genuinely scary premise.

The Entity scared the bejebees out of me the first time I watched it.... and can still make the hair on my neck stand on end....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Thanks for your suggestions...I am trying to avoid scary films, though, I'm more interested in films with a supernatural or fantasy/horror theme (if that makes sense).

A few of my favorites with some having already been mentioned:

Stir OF Echoes
What Lies Beneath
The Entity
The Others
The Amityville Horror (2005 Remake)
Fallen

Well it will be kind of difficult to give you "this kind of film" because the films you listed could be spread across many different genre's, and "supernatural dramas" is not really an identifiable genre either, but I think I know what your aiming for, so here are some recommendations:

I'll second (or third) these recommendations:
Stir of Echoes
The Others
Fallen
What Lies Beneath

Other movies with similar qualities as The Crow:
Dark City
Equilibrium
Gattaca
Strange Days
Darkman

Others I would recommend:
Onibaba
The Phantom of the Opera (1962)
Black Sunday (1960)
Dust Devil
The Prophecy series of films
Salem's Lot

I would recommend The Prophecy as a starting point, it is a fantastic series, even after Walkin walked after the first three

Horrorphiliac

Thanks for your suggestions...I am trying to avoid scary films, though, I'm more interested in films with a supernatural or fantasy/horror theme (if that makes sense).
If you don't want to be scared, try Watcher in the Woods.

Other movies with similar qualities as The Crow:
Equilibrium
Gattaca
The Prophecy series of films
I enjoyed those as well though only saw the first 2 of The Prophecy films. Those others you listed I haven't seen myself there JBriscoe except Darkman. I almost got Strange Days last week. It was only 5 bucks. I only hesitated in fear its one of those mind flashback films or I got the impression it may have that grungy looking future look to it which just depresses me.

Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine
I liked Dark City, The Crow, Amityville Horror, and Interview with the Vampire.

Beware The Probe!
I liked all the Prophecy movies but the first one was by far the best one.
They just weren't as good without Walken in them.

I liked all the Prophecy movies but the first one was by far the best one.
They just weren't as good without Walken in them.

Talking Monkey's. That was hilarious everytime they said that in the film.

One scene that always stands out in my head when I think of the first Prophecy film was where we get to see the devil himself (played by Viggo Mortensen) talking quietly yet nibbling on a Rose and how by doing that, he gave off this contraditive personality where one part of him seemed cool, reserved, and polite, yet the other side showed his true nature as nothing but a self serving evil individual that hated anything resembling 'Love' a natural trait of God.

On a side note, that Rose looked damn tasty too. No *****.

I enjoyed those as well though only saw the first 2 of The Prophecy films. Those others you listed I haven't seen myself there JBriscoe except Darkman. I almost got Strange Days last week. It was only 5 bucks. I only hesitated in fear its one of those mind flashback films or I got the impression it may have that grungy looking future look to it which just depresses me.
youre inkling was correct, however, most tech-noirs have that kind of depression type feel...so if you liked the others, you may just end up liking this one as well

Talking Monkey's. That was hilarious everytime they said that in the film.

One scene that always stands out in my head when I think of the first Prophecy film was where we get to see the devil himself (played by Viggo Mortensen) talking quietly yet nibbling on a Rose and how by doing that, he gave off this contraditive personality where one part of him seemed cool, reserved, and polite, yet the other side showed his true nature as nothing but a self serving evil individual that hated anything resembling 'Love' a natural trait of God.

On a side note, that Rose looked damn tasty too. No *****.
love em all...I really feel the 2nd and 3rd deserve as much admiration as the first...I just love the character arc of Gabriel...the 4th and 5th really take a totally different approach, and have a completely different tone, but also deserve a try

you're inkling was correct, however, most tech-noirs have that kind of depression type feel...so if you liked the others, you may just end up liking this one as well
You said if I liked the others. Which ones do you mean JB? I listed Equilibrium and Gattaca as the ones you liked that I did as well. Equilibrium was a bit dreary but not so much as say 'Blade Runner' but Gattaca was very clean cut for a film based on the future.

love em all...I really feel the 2nd and 3rd deserve as much admiration as the first...I just love the character arc of Gabriel...the 4th and 5th really take a totally different approach, and have a completely different tone, but also deserve a try
All this Prophecy talk is making me hunger to watch them again including the 4th and 5th.

*Goes to see if a box set is available*

Originally Posted by Escape
You said if I liked the others. Which ones do you mean JB? I listed Equilibrium and Gattaca as the ones you liked that I did as well. Equilibrium was a bit dreary but not so much as say 'Blade Runner' but Gattaca was very clean cut for a film based on the future.
I meant that if you like Equilibrium, Gattaca, and the Prophecy films then you may just like Strange Days as well...I agree, Gattaca was "clean cut", but its noir overtones, stale characters, and dark themes we very dreary to me (but I did love it!)

Originally Posted by Escape
All this Prophecy talk is making me hunger to watch them again including the 4th and 5th.

*Goes to see if a box set is available*
there was a boxset, but its discontinued...and it didn't include 4 and 5 anyway...Ive only seen the last two once a piece, and have yet to find them cheap enough to buy yet...grrrr

I meant that if you like Equilibrium, Gattaca, and the Prophecy films then you may just like Strange Days as well...I agree, Gattaca was "clean cut", but its noir overtones, stale characters, and dark themes we very dreary to me (but I did love it!)
Oh ok. I may end up getting it. It was very cheap when I saw it so 5 bucks can't hurt to test it out.

there was a boxset, but its discontinued...and it didn't include 4 and 5 anyway...Ive only seen the last two once a piece, and have yet to find them cheap enough to buy yet...grrrr
Yeah, I could only find the 1-3 set as well. I'll look around for that one in stores anyways and see if 4, and 5 are around as well. I've only seen 1 and 2 actually. The one with that chick from Flash Dance I believe.

Well it will be kind of difficult to give you "this kind of film" because the films you listed could be spread across many different genre's, and "supernatural dramas" is not really an identifiable genre either, but I think I know what your aiming for, so
I know it's not a real genre but couldn't think how best to describe it! I thought if someone can come on here and ask for 'wife swap' movie recommendations I could go with my made-up 'genre'

Thanks for these recommendations. Strange Days is one of my favourite movies, although the technological aspect probably makes it sci-fi, which is why I didn't include it to start with, while some of the other films don't fit so well into either scifi/fantasy/horror, hence my made-up genre...

[quote=Thursday Next;367094]I know it's not a real genre but couldn't think how best to describe it! I thought if someone can come on here and ask for 'wife swap' movie recommendations I could go with my made-up 'genre'
[quote]

hahahaha...good call!

Ive been on a hunt for real good horror movies that I haven't seen, so Im sure I will come across some "supernatural dramas" that someone has categorized as horror, so if I do, I will be sure to drop the name in here

Good choices, Holden. For my money, the original The Haunting (1963) is absolutely the scariest thing ever filmed, because it relies on the viewer's imagination. The Changeling, Portrait of Jennie, Ghost Story, and especially The Uninvited are all standouts. I'd also add Lady in White (1988) and Night of the Demon (the longer British version is best with more time to build suspense, but the US version Curse of the Demon is still good)

I have to return some videotapes.
I enjoyed Le Pacte des Loups (Brotherhoof of the Wolf) (2001)It's in French, but has english subtitles. Pretty good movie all around as i can recall.