Movie Theater Violence

Tools    

Did anyone hear about the man who was beaten in Virginia last week-end at an afternoon showing of Return of the King for asking the people behind him to be quiet? Apparently the man had asked them to keep it down earlier without incident but when they became loud again, and he asked them, one of them knocked his drink from his hand, put him in a head lock, and began beating him. The man suffered injuries to his face and hands…

Have any of you ever experienced anything like this at the theater?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
No, but I sure know that I wanted to beat some people when I saw Lord of the Rings...they were the worst audience I've ever sat with.

Yeah, I was at Haunted Mansion (which I'm sorry I saw in the first place) and this guy's kid was talking loud, and the guy in front of them told him to be quiet, and a very loud confrontation broke out. When a. . .lobby guy or whatever tried to calm them down, they all got in a fist fight. It was cool. . .MUCH better entertainment than the movie provided.
And found he was eating his shoe.

that's horrible.

Although, there was this guy making "jokes" through the whole movie when I saw it the second time. I felt like beating the heck out of him.

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Did anyone hear about the man who was beaten in Virginia last week-end at an afternoon showing of Return of the King for asking the people behind him to be quiet? Apparently the man had asked them to keep it down earlier without incident but when they became loud again, and he asked them, one of them knocked his drink from his hand, put him in a head lock, and began beating him. The man suffered injuries to his face and hands…

Have any of you ever experienced anything like this at the theater?

I haven't heard anything about that incident. In Cinemark (where I work) during a showing of Return of the King on its opening weekend,
there was a fight that turned out bloody...literally. I'm serious. So there we go, there is violence in the movie theater.

A while back I was at some movie, don't remember which, and some kids were in the back throwing popcorn down on everybody in front and this one big guy finally got fed up with it and started screaming and was about to go beat the hell out of 'em but someone had gotten the ushers and had the two kids removed. I think everyone in the theater was disappointed that they got off so easy.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
In a nearby town where I live, some junior high boys were movie-hopping at a multi-theater complex. They'd sit down half-way through a movie they didn't have tickets for, make a lot of noise, and cause a big disturbance. If someone told them to be quiet, they'd start cussing at the crowd and walk out, only to do it again in another movie. They walked into an R-rated film, and when they started causing problems, a 30-something year old guy approached them to tell them to leave or shut-up. A confrontation began, and the guy proceeded to beat the crap out of the boys and exit out the emergency exit. One of the families of the boys sued the theater for allowing them into an R-rated film and putting them in danger.

There were a lot of letters to the editor of the local paper regarding who was at fault:

a) the parents for dropping their kids off at the theater, thereby allowing the boys to do whatever they wanted unsupervised
b) the theater for not putting tighter restrictions on movie-hopping
c) the 30 year-old, who should have kept his cool
d) the boys, who brought it upon themselves and have a lesson to learn about how to act in our society.
e) all of the above.

I don't know who is to blame, but I would lean toward "e." I know that in our local theater, once you give your ticket at the door, you have free reign to the entire complex. Movie-hopping is very common, and it has become very annoying when it seems their entire purpose is to get attention by making noise, giggling, and making comments like, "This movie sucks!"
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

hmmmm...i think all this uprising of movie violence has come from an even bigger problem which is movie going manners. you know the simple things that the audience viewing amovie does to contribute to making a movie enjoyable for everybody to watch. there are a few simple rules involved, most of them I saw violated in my viewing of 'Return of the King'

1) Turn off your cell phones folks. In a very moving moment in 'ROTK' the whole entire audience was interrupted when the following occured
somebodies cell phone rang, after which another person who should ignored the ringing which was rude nonetheless decided to further heighten the situation by shouting "Turn that s**t off!" (now I may mention that there wer vey young children in their, and although I cannot speak for their parents, I would assume that they wouldn't want a young child to be exposed to such strong language) then somebody yelled again, in fact right behind me "Shut Up!". Luckily that was the end of it, but the taste of watching that moment for the first time was ruined for me, and the rest of the audience.

2) Get a Room. Now thankfully, since I went to go see "Return of the King" it was opening day, so most people who went to go see it were fans and wanted to watch it. But in other movies I have witnessed people incriminating themselves in a movie theater in less than comprimising situations. Now why would you pay 7- 8$ to go and sit an a movie theater just to make out? The answer is is that more than often they need a place where they won't get caught by their parents, for it is often the case that they are to young to even be making out, let alone in public. And well the ADULTS that do it should be embrassed that they would commit (what i consider a private act) in public for all the world to see is just beyond me.

3)Hire a babysitter for those little babies. How I am saddened to see parents who, without any respect for teh rest of the sudience, bring their small children under the age of two years old to a movie. Not only is the child unlikely to sit through the movie without crying, pooping or running around, it just shows how people are willing to save the extra buck and just bring the kid along thinking only of themselves instead of others. A very intense battle scene with soilders yelling and fighting was added (ineffectively) by a small high pitched and very loud squel of a baby.

4) Clapping. Clapping is a very tricky subject. It is always nice at the end of the movie to clap, esspecially if it was paticulary moving. But when, might we ask ourselves does the clapping become to much? When the clapping overcomes the moment, and when teenage fan girls start wooting. Trust me when the moment comes upon you and the clapping ruins it, you will know of what I speak of. There were too mant times to count in 'ROTK' that teh clapping became to much. Now in these situations all you can do is to stop clapping and try to read the actors lips.

Originally Posted by Garrett
that's horrible.

Although, there was this guy making "jokes" through the whole movie when I saw it the second time. I felt like beating the heck out of him.
I don't wanna be a pain, but are you talking about Return of the King, or Haunted Mansion. Seeing as how you and me are very good friends, I don't think you're talking about HM.

I saw LOTR : Return of the King yesterday and had experienced a bout of disturbance there. Nothing too bad happened, just a group of very nuisance yapping teenagers. They talked and chatted through most of the movie being most vociferous at the begining, they also kept getting up and walking out, a blessing rather then a problem in this case. At one point two of them sat right behind me and talked, and in another they called out to one of their group when they left to go out midway (probably to do the business).

Complete and utter pains, and I was severly tempted to go and have a quiet word, however they were not malicious, just a little disruptive and ignorant of other movie goers there and although distracting were possible to ignore. Redeemed themselves slightly by being the only people there to clap and show their apreciation at the end of the movie.

During a couple of other films in the cinema I have had a couple of boys sneak in and quickly chased out by the cinema fuzz and in another a repeating snorer.

Nothing of the level others have mentioned though. In fact the sneakers were there so briefly it was actually a little amusing.

I've always thought it had something to do with also the fact that the movie theater is the centre of the 'place to hang out' and all the college kids and the high school preps hang out there,a nd routinely get in trouble. one day there was an announcement during the morning bulletin at school that 'would the students please kindley remember that they represent our school on campus and off campus, that why any vandelism to the Movie Theater or the shops surrounding it that is reported to be by somebody from this school, will be handled not only with the law but with the school also.'. i've never seen an actual fight break out, but there are alot of rude people who just insist on being rude.

Geeeez, first we have road rage ... then I hear a term coined air rage, going nuts on a plane ... now we have theater rage!

I think I'll sell rotten tomatoes at my theater ... they don't hurt!

I remember when I went to see, *cough*, Hulk... ahem, and yeah... I was with two of my mates and half way through the long crapfest, I heard screaming, this kid had been hit by a coin who was with his dad. He got up and had a look around after looking at his son, lots of people there too, and shouted, "who the f**k threw that!?"

Basically, he blamed it onto one my mates but we and a couple of other halpful people backed us up. He hit my mate who he reckons did it, the usher came over calmed it down but the guy and son just ending up leaving. Something I should of done really, with it being the Hulk and all.

Funny at the time, my mate is scared for life, he would of been killed, the guy was a giant. Closest to *real* violence i've came across at the cinema.

The people at the movies I was with was great they claped when something excited happen they held there breath in the exciting parts!
They cheered when Strider and Gimi and Legos came back!and at the end everyone stood up and cheered and claped!
I like those kind of people they rock!and it does not brother me either that they did that in fact it was great to see people really into the movie like that!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

Maybe it's the fact that we don't have as many people, I'm not sure, however I haven't seen any instances of what you call "movie hopping" as after each session is over, the theatres are apparently looked at and cleaned. Maybe I'm ignorant of this, but just haven't seen it. I have seen it done overseas.. actually done this myself a couple of times in my younger days. In the case of violence in theatres, I haven't come across this either. I've told kids to shut up on several occasions without incident, but then again I'm a pretty threatening-looking character myself ... What about the duties of ushers in theatres? Do they, or supervisors on duty have any authority to throw people out or call security? Seems a shame to ruin a good movie and geez a waste of all that money we fork out to see them these days.

Nothing on he scale of the above (though I quite often have to ask people to be quiet in our local), but I came in for some verbal abuse recently for asking a girl next to me to stop texting through Return of the King. Am I being unreasonable? Or is a clicking, bright blue screen floating around in your peripheral vision annoying to anyone else?

Just turn the damn things off! I can't believe it's impossible to last a couple of hours without having to text people.

One of the theaters here actually has an "Ushers Chair" It faces away from the screen so noone would accidently sit there. They just sit there and make sure nothing happens. It helps alot with problems like this just by their presence. They are usually only there if it is a crowded theater however, but it helps. Kinda a hard job to just sit there I imagine, especially if there was a movie on that you havent seen yet. They will toss your butt out if you disrupt the movie.

As an usher myself, that sounds pretty neat...very useful in my theater. I would't mind being the one sitting in that seat. Those who disrupt the movie and the audience wouldn't like having to have me kick them out. . I am surprised I haven't heard about an "usher chair" before. Maybe I should mention it to the corporate office.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by allthatglitters
3)Hire a babysitter for those little babies. How I am saddened to see parents who, without any respect for teh rest of the sudience, bring their small children under the age of two years old to a movie. Not only is the child unlikely to sit through the movie without crying, pooping or running around, it just shows how people are willing to save the extra buck and just bring the kid along thinking only of themselves instead of others. A very intense battle scene with soilders yelling and fighting was added (ineffectively) by a small high pitched and very loud squel of a baby.
It's funny. The first scene in RotK is Smeagol's transformation into Gollum, which was very dark, graphic and intense. Suddenly I hear the wimpering of a small child emanating from the seat directly behind me. Some assclown has decided RotK would be a perfect Saturday afternoon film for himself and his 2 year old daughter. She is terrified and his attempts to calm her go unheeded. The scenery lightens up and the kid chills for a bit. Uh-oh, another dark scene coming up and here we go again. This continues for a bit, the kid starting to lose it, the parent possesed of a 62 IQ continues to try and tell her it's all fake etc. etc.

Shelob appears and the little kid (and myself, ok I hate spiders) flips out completely. This genius parent of the small child, whom is definitely not getting this whole "It's not real" thing, starts getting angry at her! he begins to scold her for 'acting up' at the theatre, when people are trying to watch a film. I mean she shouldn't make a peep while being terrorized by images of an evil hobbit eating spider that is most definitely going to be paying her visits in her slumber for the next, oh, six to twelve years, right? I was horrified at this man's conduct and I felt terrible for the kid, so I decided intervention was necessary, unfortunately I was crying like a little girl with a skinned knee at this point and wasn't going anywhere. Luckily for the little girl, the father removed himself and her from the lobby never to be seen again.

I just don't know what goes through people's minds when they do stuff like this.

Originally Posted by Dodger
Nothing on he scale of the above (though I quite often have to ask people to be quiet in our local), but I came in for some verbal abuse recently for asking a girl next to me to stop texting through Return of the King. Am I being unreasonable? Or is a clicking, bright blue screen floating around in your peripheral vision annoying to anyone else?

Just turn the damn things off! I can't believe it's impossible to last a couple of hours without having to text people.
Two girls were like that when I went to see ROTK, didn't bother me as they were sat infront but I could tell they were fiddeling about which was rather annoying. They walked out after an hour and half, can you beleive some people?