The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

That fear has a name, BTW: thalassophobia.
They need to move here, to the Great Lake state. No sharks or nasty critters here. Plus you don't have to shower after going for a dip. Sunsets and sunrises are just as spectacular as on the oceans.

Things that I noticed so far from the Millennium list and Top 100 of the 2000s list

Finding Nemo is the only movie so far from both lists that stays the same - #44 on one list and #44 on the other

31 new movies on the 2000's list that were not on the Millennium list. obviously were getting more new ones because there's some more 2010 movies that we haven't passed yet and also the new ones could replace some of the movies from the 2000's that were on the millennium list.

Iron Man is the lowest ranked movie so far with being #99 on the Millennium list and flies right up to #83 on this list.

The highest ranked movie so far which is #19 - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (from the Millennium list) and makes it's way at #51 on the Top 100 2000's list.

Hopefully we get a shocker like what happened to star wars in the all time top 100 countdown, it went to #3 in the other list to #78 on the all time one. I got my omg memes ready to go

The movie that surprised me the most so far while it made the list was The Devil's Rejects (what in the holy fk lol). There's a few movies from my list that I'll be shocked if it makes the 2000's list. it will put a better taste in my mouth

In overall not a bad list so far, looking forward to see what's to come.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

From what's left, I think maybe 9 more of my films will place. There are a couple I'm hopeful for, but I'm not holding my breath. 21-24 have no chance at all at this point.
Hold on a cotton-picking minute, just how big was your ballot .... you've already got a 1-pointer, 1 no show and 5 that placed yet you're saying you've another 9 that ought to make it, a couple that are on the fence and 21-24 that aren't gonna show - I make that at least 39-42 movies when I was only allowed a mere 25

Finding Nemo & Adaptation...I watched both of these in past HoFs:

Finding Nemo (2003)
I enjoyed it, especially Ellen DeGeneres' Dory. Her character, a Blue Tang with short term memory lost made the film fun for me. I loved the underwater setting, it reminded me of fun times snorkeling and free diving in the tropics. I can't say that I've seen a clown fish in the wild before but I have seen a sea turtle up-close and personal...also seen an Eagle Ray about 10 meters below me at Molokini Crater, Hawaii. So, I really dug all the fish and the underwater world they lived in.

Adaptation (2002)
As soon as I got the DVD from my library I looked at the unique DVD cover art and realized I had seen it before. So I watched it again. I remembered nothing of the film! Not one scene, not one character, not even the big final rang a bell. How could a movie be erased out of my memory? With not even a vague inkling of having ever seen it. Perhaps the plot of Being John Malkovich is more plausible than commonly believed I sometimes think about Being John Malkovich, so it's strange that Adaption starts off on the set of Being John Malkovich. Spooky!

And oh, yes, of course I had this Charlie Kaufman - via Spike Jonze - as well. It was nineteenth on my ballot, good for seven points. Such a clever, demented ride, already a self-reflective examination of his own tropes. Cage and Cage and Streep and Cooper and all are excellent. "The only idea more overused than serial killers is multiple personality. On top of that, you explore the notion that cop and criminal are really two aspects of the same person. See Every Cop Movie Ever Made for other examples of this."

So now my top two have shown plus numbers fourteen through twenty!

HOLDEN’S BALLOT
1. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (#86)
2. Dancer in the Dark (#49)
14. Synecdoche, New York (#46)
15. Moon (#48)
16. Fantastic Mr. Fox (#70)
17. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (#92)
18. A Serious Man (#66)
19. Adaptation. (#43)
20. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (#51)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Finding Nemo is one of Pixar's better efforts, but to be honest, I've fallen out of love with the studio. I feel like they developed an aesthetic with the first Toy Story and did little to push it forward since. I know people dunk on Dreamworks for their overly childish animation style (i.e. the Dreamworks face), but I've found it increasingly difficult to see how Pixar is much better in that regard. There's little of the beauty that's abundant in Disney's classics or Studio Ghibli's output.

Good storytellers though (at least for the ones I watched, I stopped watching after Toy Story 3).

Awards

Now to the awards received by Finding Nemo...

• Academy Award for Best Animated Feature
  • Saturn Award for Best Animated Film and Best Supporting Actress (Ellen DeGeneres)
  • AFI Award for Movie of the Year
  • Genesis Award for Best Animated Feature
  • Golden Schmoes Award for Best Comedy of the Year and Best Animated Movie of the Year

Among many, many others.

As for Adaptation, it won...

• Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor (Chris Cooper)
  • Chlotrudis Award for Best Supporting Actor (Cooper) and Best Screenplay (Charlie and Donald Kaufman)
  • Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor (Cooper) and Supporting Actress (Meryl Streep)
  • Satellite Award for Best Screenplay (Kaufman brothers)

Hold on a cotton-picking minute, just how big was your ballot .... you've already got a 1-pointer, 1 no show and 5 that placed yet you're saying you've another 9 that ought to make it, a couple that are on the fence and 21-24 that aren't gonna show - I make that at least 39-42 movies when I was only allowed a mere 25

I assume the person means their 21st through 24th ranked movies have no chance of making it.

I love Adaptation. When I made a list of my favorite films of the decade all the way back in 2010, I had Adaptation at #6, but I left off this list, but definitely not because my love for it has waned, but just to make room for other films I love as well. Finding Nemo maybe ranks in the top 5 Pixar films but definitely didn't make this list.

I’ve seen Finding Nemo many times and a lot of them was when I was younger. It has a lot of the great Disney/Pixar moments that only they know how to do. It’s generally a super well made film but not one of my absolute favorites from the studio. My opinion on the film has switched around a bit too. I’m not sure how I stand now. Should probably revisit it soon…

Adaption. I almost voted for, but ultimately didn’t because I generally don’t want to vote for something I have only seen once. I have a few exceptions on my list though but all of them are quite recent watches, while it’s been forever since I saw this one. So I couldn’t really include it. But I’m glad to see it on the list for sure.

A system of cells interlinked
Dang, adding Adaptation into my re-watch queue.

All the chatter in this thread gets me wanting to revisit some of these gems.

I assume the person means their 21st through 24th ranked movies have no chance of making it.
For sure but I try not to let these opportunities for a little light-hearted silliness pass when they arise

That fear has a name, BTW: thalassophobia.

The thing is, I'm not actually afraid of deep water in real life. I adore water. It's just that in dreams, there's almost never a bottom, and there's never anyone to pull you out at the surface. It only had to do with dreams. So considering the specifics, it was more like oneirothalassologophobia.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The thing is, I'm not actually afraid of deep water in real life. I adore water. It's just that in dreams, there's almost never a bottom, and there's never anyone to pull you out at the surface. It only had to do with dreams. So considering the specifics, it was more like oneirothalassologophobia.
fear of the one iro. i can relate.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

When looking at my ballot, I must have counted some of the ones that already made it.

This would've been the perfect opportunity for you to reuse this gif from earlier in the thread:

Edit: Wait a minute, my math was right! I meant #21-24 on my ballot were definitely not going to have enough points to make the countdown haha. I didn't even check the numbers when I read your comment, I just assumed I couldn't count lol.

Both are excellent! Neither made my list but Adaptation was very close, excellent direction, writing, acting, and so on, and Finding Nemo is top tier Pixar for me and it would have been in a top 100.

That Nicolas Cage can be tough to pin down. I mean did you guys see Pig? He was great in it.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Trivia

Finding Nemo

Did you know that...
  • part of Andrew Stanton's inspiration for the story comes from his childhood visits to the dentist? He used to look at the fish tank and wonder if the fish wanted to return to the sea.
  • in reality, clownfish rarely stray far from their anemone? This adds a bit more weight to Marlin and Nemo's journey.
  • Dory was initially supposed to be a male? However, when Stanton saw a clip of Ellen's show where she changed "the subject five times before finishing one sentence", he decided to cast her.

Trivia

Adaptation.

Did you know that...
  • Jonathan Demme was originally intended to direct the adaptation of The Orchid Thief? When Charlie Kaufman found himself suffering from writer's block, the project was stalled until Jonze came on board.
  • Nicolas Cage has said that during the filming of this movie, he ignored all of his acting instincts and played the part of Charlie Kaufman exactly as director Spike Jonze asked him to?
  • Nicolas Cage's real brother, Marc Coppola, often stood in for one of the twins during filming?