Do movies based on video games suck?

Tools    

Resident Evil, wha?! If they didnt call it Resident Evil then it mightve worked fine, but it had 0 to do with the video game.
It had Umbrella, the T-Virus, the zombies, Lickers, Nemesis, Chris and Claire Redfield, Ada Wong, Jill Valentine, Leon Kennedy, Wesker, The Axemen, The mutated dogs/crows etc... there's probably more, but it definitely had a lot of game elements. It definitely wasn't a case of World War Z where the only thing the book and film shared besides zombies was the name.

But like in the case of the first one, Resident Evil 1 (the Game) was basically 95% running around the mansion and grounds solving puzzles to unlock more areas... That would have made a horrifyingly boring film.

RE2 (Game)was a bit closer to the RE2 (Film) as it consisted of making your way across Racoon city, but in the game huge portions were spent at the Police Department, again, like the first one, solving puzzles and opening up new areas of the police department.

They really had to branch out on their own story wise, Which they did, while keeping enough nods to the source to still be recognizable as Resident Evil.

Admittedly these aren't great movies, probably will never even be considered good movies, but considering the source, a zombie shooter, all they really need to be are fun movies, which they ARE that...

the only movie based on video game that felt through and through as the main game and was entertanining enough is hands down 1995s Mortal kombat
Prince of Persia.

I can recall many movies based on video games that just reeked of suckingdom: Doom, Super Mario Bros, Double Dragon, Lara Croft, Prince of Persia, Mortal Kombat, the Angry Birds movie, etc. etc.

Are movies based on video games shallow, commercial films with little or no artistic integrity, always doomed to fail, or are there some good ones out there? Is it 'game over' for the video game adaptation, forever relegated to pulling teenagers away from their game consoles?
Sure most movies based on video games suck. But I liked Silent Hill, loved prince of persia (I am really a fan of adventure lighthearted movies, I loved John Carter too, just to give you some perspective). Tomb Raider is a guilty pleasure for me. I think that most directors still treats video games as inferior medium (despite games like Syberia, Myst, or Child of light) but it will change, besides making movie out of the game is downgrading. Game can be as emotional as a movie with added immersion because of interaction. We only watch characters in movies but we are characters in games. Telltale games created great interactive movies that pose moral and practical challenges that truly engage players.
I would not be surprised if games dwarfed movies as a storytelling medium in the next 20 or so years, similarly to cinemas replacing classical theaters.

If they don't suck, at least they do create a partial vacuum...

HAL

Yeah TRON the movie was made first.

It was designed to act as a bridge between video games fans and movie fans because way back then, the two were kinda like separate cults.

Being a big fan of the Assassins Creed franchise I was excited for the film, then I heard the terrible reception so I didn't even bother seeing it as I probably would of hated it more than regular movie goers did.

I think that The Last of Us movie will be awesome but also disappointing as the video game was sooooooo good and I doubt that they can make that better :/

Unfortunately yes they do. It is a completely different kind of art and interaction