Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Re-watch. Excellent movie. Both leads are such great actors. So natural, but very convincing.

Legend in my own mind

Tenet 2020

A bit like Mission impossible with a PHD

Aesthetically stunning.

Needlessly confusing and a bit indulgent

RAISING ARIZONA
(1987)

First viewing. I watched bits and pieces of this film but never watched the movie in it's entirety. I'm surprised I haven't until now considering I'm a big fan of the Coen brothers. Extremely funny, quirky, hilarious comedy. Nicolas Cage and Holly Hunter are a riot. The entire supporting cast that includes John Goodman and Frances McDormand is perfect. And of course, the movie is very stylish in it's production design and cinematography, which is signature of a movie made by the Coens.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The Vikings (1958)

Silly and corny old-school Hollywood epic. I'm really not a fan of this style, and part of the film's rating comes from unintended comedy (like the ridiculous ship boarding scene where arrows and spears are flying in completely random trajectories).

ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING
(1987)

First viewing. Directed by Chris Columbus, the same guy who made Home Alone, and starring that girl from The Karate Kid, overall, a light funny film that felt like a John Hughes movie -I wouldn't be surprised if John was the ghostwriter here. it was even shot in Chicago, Hughes' hometown and the setting of pretty much all of his movies. The movie is probably the only one where the beautiful Elizabeth Shue starred in the leading role. The other films she was in during the 80's were in secondary roles such as The Karate Kid, Cocktail, and the Back to the Future sequels. I find that highly criminal.

RAISING ARIZONA
(1987)

First viewing. I watched bits and pieces of this film but never watched the movie in it's entirety. I'm surprised I haven't until now considering I'm a big fan of the Coen brothers. Extremely funny, quirky, hilarious comedy. Nicolas Cage and Holly Hunter are a riot. The entire supporting cast that includes John Goodman and Frances McDormand is perfect. And of course, the movie is very stylish in it's production design and cinematography, which is signature of a movie made by the Coens.
Agree 100%. One of their first, the Coen's have never topped it. Loved the parts with Tex Cobb. Perfect casting all around!

Agree 100%. One of their first, the Coen's have never topped it. Loved the parts with Tex Cobb. Perfect casting all around!
I love Tex Cobb. Whenever he's in a movie, you know he's going to steal all the scenes he's in. I think his part here as that psychotic biker is by far his best performance to date, even better than his performance in the first Ace Ventura

The Peanut Butter Falcon, 2019

A young man with Down Syndrome, Zak, escapes from the retirement home where he's being kept, making a run for a wrestling school run by a larger-than-life personality called the Salt Water Redneck. At the same time an unsettled fisherman named Tyler rouses the ire of several men when he pulls from their crab traps. After a mild act of vandalism on Tyler's part goes wrong, he ends up on the run with Zak. The two of them are pursued by Eleanor, the woman in charge of Zak who has been tasked with returning him to the nursing home.

This movie, above all, is full of heart and compassion for its various characters. Featuring a character with a disability is a tricky thing. There's the trap of over-sentimentalizing the character (making them a wise saint) and the opposing trap of feeling like you are mocking the character. The movie was supposedly written specifically with the actor who plays Zak in mind, and the script is tailored to his interests. This allows for a very natural flow to the film, and an authenticity of the character.

Zack Gottsagen and Shia LaBeouf have really excellent chemistry. I know that LaBeouf has had his various struggles over the years, but I've been pretty impressed by everything I've seen him in (including his work in the Elastic Heart music video). He has an incredibly natural rapport with Gottsagen that reduces the gap between "experienced actor" and "first timer". LeBeouf does some heavy lifting with an almost entirely internal subplot about the death of his character's older brother and the guilt that Tyler carries. Bonding with Zak brings out a lot of emotions in Tyler, both positive and painful. It's a really powerful performance.

The supporting cast is pretty excellent. Thomas Hayden Church as Salt Water Redneck; Jon Berenthal as Tyler's older brother; Dakota Johnson as Eleanor; Bruce Dern as Zak's nursing home roommate; and John Hawkes as one of the men pursuing Tyler.

My only real complaint was what I felt was a lack of development in Eleanor's character. She's the only main female character (heck, or secondary character), and she's written as incredibly reactive. The film has a great conversation between Eleanor and Tyler about the way that she treats Zak. Despite her good intentions, she infantilizes him, and Tyler rightfully points out that this behavior hurts Zak just as much as some of the slurs and cruelty he encounters. But after this speech about giving Zak more autonomy, her character doesn't change much. And she doesn't . . . do much. She was already pretty ineffectual, and her being convinced one way or the other doesn't change her impact on the plot. It feels like she's there to be the love interest, and it's to Dakota Johnson's credit that the character feels dimensional. It doesn't quite seem right that there's never a real conversation between Eleanor and Zak.

This movie put a huge smile on my face and on the faces of the people I watched it with. We all work with young people or young adults with severe disabilities, and this was an affectionate and natural portrayal of the wonderful relationships that you can form if you aren't biased by assumptions about what someone can do or feel. A real pick-me-up with an endearing optimism at its core.

I saw 2 Netflix films back to back based on work written by the master of horror himself Stephen King for the first time...

IN THE TALL GRASS
(2019)

An original concept that invokes dread about getting stuck in an uncomfortable situation (losing your path and getting lost in a field of tall grass), but the concept loses it's path halfway through (pun intended) and ends in an uncomfortable but familiar way. It's not a great movie with stellar performances (far from it), but it's worth a watch.

GERALD'S GAME
(2017)

Another original concept that invokes dread about being getting stuck in an uncomfortable situation (getting handcuffed to a bed that's in a house that's miles and miles in the middle of nowhere), and the buildup from there gets more uncomfortable, dreadful, and disturbing with plenty of character development and stellar performances, especially by the lead Carla Cugina, who in my opinion delivers the best performance of her career. This was surprisingly a great movie that I highly recommend.

Boyz n the Hood (1991)

Drama from John Singleton charting the lives of 4 friends growing up and existing in the projects of South Central LA. The performances and script are fine and the human side of gang culture well portrayed. The action is tightly directed and story well told...has aged a bit but the message still remains pertinent.

Una (Benedict Andrews, 2016)

Moderate tale of the 'taboo' but nicely acted and doesn't preach

I can understand if the late Kirin Kiki would keep bullying Koreeda on the movie set xD.
Everyone is great. The newcomer Manon Clavel clearly deserves a shout out.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Anbessa (Mo Scarpelli, 2019)
6/10
Too Many Wives (Ben Holmes, 1937)
5.5/10
Skin Walker (Christian Neuman, 2019)
6/10
The Trip to Greece (Michael Winterbottom, 2020)
6.5/10

The usual amusing impressions, anecdotes and burns by travelers Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan, but this time with a preoccupation with death.
Rock All Night (Roger Corman, 1957)
+ 5/10
The Ninth Heart (Juraj Herz, 1979)
.6/10
The Beatles: Made on Merseyside (Alan Byron, 2018)
-
6.5/10
The War with Grandpa (Tim Hill, 2020)
6/10

Stubborn widower Robert De Niro moves into the home of his daughter (Uma Thurman) and into the room of his grandson (Oakes Fegley) who wants it back.
Ferry Cross the Mersey (Jeremy Summers, 2016)
6/10
Agave: Spirit of a Nation (Nick Kovacic & Matthew Riggieri, 2018)
6.5/10
For Men Only (Paul Henreid, 1952)
+ 5/10
Beauty and the Beast (Juraj Herz, 1978)
6.5/10

Czech version of the classic fairy tale has a different looking Beast.
The Vanished (Peter Facinelli, 2020)
6/10
Josie & Jack (Sarah Lancaster, 2019)
5.5/10
Life Like (Josh Janowicz, 2019)
6/10
Matthias & Maxime (Xavier Dolan, 2019)

The upcoming departure of Max (Xavier Dolan) causes his friend Matt (Gabriel D'Almeida Freitas) to flood with memories.
All Together Now (Brett Haley, 2020)
6/10
Eating Up Easter (Sergio Mata'u Rapu, 2018)
- 6.5/10
Mimino (Georgiy Daneliya, 1977)
6/10
Bill & Ted Face the Music (Dean Parisot, 2020)
6/10

Bill (Alex Winter) & Ted (Keanu Reeves) have to face lots of music and musicians and versions of themselves.

GERALD'S GAME
(2017)

Another original concept that invokes dread about being getting stuck in an uncomfortable situation (getting handcuffed to a bed that's in a house that's miles and miles in the middle of nowhere), and the buildup from there gets more uncomfortable, dreadful, and disturbing with plenty of character development and stellar performances, especially by the lead Carla Cugina, who in my opinion delivers the best performance of her career. This was surprisingly a great movie that I highly recommend.
I was also pretty impressed with Gerald's Game, and I agree that Gugino's performance is absolutely fantastic. I'm a big fan of Mike Flanagan's direction (things like Oculus, Hush, and Before I Wake. I feel as though in the horror that he makes he is always on an empathetic frequency with his protagonists. He manages to portray situations with vulnerable people without it feeling exploitative.

I think that what's so masterful about Gerald's Game it is the way that it explores such a range of fears and frightening situations.

WARNING: spoilers below
Everything from being with a person in a sexual situation where they can overpower you and don't care about your consent, to a wild animal, to potential starvation/dehydration, to a monstrous creature/person. It sounds totally outlandish, and yet the film makes it all work and interweaves the elements so well. And when you layer in the question of what's real and what isn't, it only gets more interesting and complex.

Also, aside from allowing herself to be handcuffed (which, to be fair, it was her husband, she was trying to be a good partner, and he sprung his rape fantasy on her with no warning so her character was kind of in shock, etc), I didn't feel like she did anything "wrong". The movie addressed pretty much everything I could think of--the phone, trying to break the bed, etc.

My only mixed feelings were about the epilogue-style ending. On one hand it gave interesting information and brought the story to a certain degree of closure. But on the other hand I found it a bit jarring after spending 99.9% of the movie in that bedroom.

Vivement Dimanche! [Finally, Sunday! aka Confidentially Yours] (François Truffaut, 1983)

A day early I know but still a reasonably fun watch even if there's precious little mystery left well before the end

Beat the Devil, 1953

An interesting film from John Huston, starring Humphrey Bogart, and slightly defying my attempts to describe it in a nutshell.

Bogart stars as a man named Billy who is a member of an international gang of criminals planning to pull off a huge scam involving land purchases in Africa. Their ship faces an unexpected delay, and the gang is stranded for several days in Italy. Also stranded are a married couple, Gwen and Harry Chelm. Gwen quickly becomes infatuated with Billy, and Billy's relationship with the Chelms adds complications to the gang's plot.

This film was a total jumble of comedy, romance, thriller, and action. Bogart grounds the film with his typical cool disinterest, while Jennifer Jones as Gwen brings a sort of cheery, manic unpredictability to the story. The supporting cast (including Peter Lorre as one of the gang members) add their own dose of comedy and/or menace. The film is very quirky, and switches between comedy and thriller elements from scene to scene.

I had a good time with the movie, with my only complaint being that at time it felt a bit disjoint. There were moments where Gwen's character teetered on the line between "quirky" and "annoying", something that I mostly chalk up to the writing. There's a very dated portrayal of Arab characters that was a bit painful to watch. It also struggles a bit with the ending, and it's a bit of a wobbly landing.

I'm a bit surprised that this isn't a movie that was on my radar. It's one from Ebert's great movie list, and I was able to watch it on Prime.