The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
54. Under the Skin - Wow, I never thought Under the Skin would be so divisive, especially considering that it has thematic weight and meaning, not to mention out-of-this-world visuals and a creepy score to send it into "great" territory as far as I'm concerned. Scarlett Johansson also handles a difficult role in a unique and spellbinding way. I tell you, the first time I watched Under the Skin I was chilled, and I really appreciated this film's ability to do that to me. A spider and some flies - but this spider slowly becomes more and more human before she goes off the inter-dimensional grid, and becomes a fly to a human spider herself. I love the idea, and the fact that this film speaks to us as to what makes us who we are is a bonus. In the meantime we enter some terribly well-rendered inter-dimensional (and very trippy) zones that elevate this science fiction and horror classic. I couldn't leave Under the Skin off my ballot - it was one of the films of the decade. It was my #11.

53. The Revenant - I have to say, I'm rather surprised that The Revenant isn't on my ballot - and I don't know if that was an oversight or if it made way for something else I preferred to champion. In any case, it was pretty much a sure thing that it would show here - and it joins a collection of around 20 films which I'm surprised didn't crack the top 50. What a great collection of films we have so far everyone - turns out the 2010s were a pretty great decade for films - I think so anyway. One thing about The Revenant that shakes me up pretty bad is the bear attack scene. I'm sure that's obvious to anyone that's seen it - but I mean really shakes me up. I'm not even sure if I can sit through that scene again. The human will, when it's set upon survival, can move mountains and do what seems impossible - and that's stretched to it's limit here, almost in a religious sense. Yeah, that second horror that happens to Leo's character - that's hard to sit through as well. Again - surprised this didn't get a higher spot.

Watched Avengers : Endgame last night, and really liked it. Glad it's here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen 40/48
Films on my radar : 3
Films I've never even heard about : 5

Films from my list : 6

#54 - My #11 - Under the Skin (2013)
#60 - My #4 - Joker (2019)
#64 - My #8 - Manchester by the Sea (2016)
#71 - My #12 - Ida (2013)
#93 - My #15 - It Follows (2014)
#96 - My #1 - Hereditary (2018)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

52. La La Land
51. Whitey: United States of America vs James J Bulger

Haven't seen The Revenant.

I saw Under the Skin and I did like parts of it, but it didn't come together for me as a whole.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw The Revenant a few years ago, but the only part I remembered was the bear attack scene. I didn't even remember if I liked it or not. I rewatched it for this countdown, and it's an interesting movie, but it's not really my kind of movie because it's a very difficult movie to watch.

I haven't seen Under the Skin, and I doubt that it's a movie that I'd like.

52. Sorry to Bother You... just kidding. The Wind Rises

I feel like It's Such a Beautiful Day might be a better guess but I also want to believe it'll crack the top 50 for whatever reason.

I forgot the opening line.
Could 51 be The Stories We Tell? I doubt it, but I cannot think of anything else.
For 52 I just wanna mention Beasts of the Southern Wild. Wasn't that a great movie? But it's more likely to be The Nice Guys.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I've seen Under the Skin once and liked it well enough - every once in a while I get the urge to revisit it and see how its particularly unsettling approach to alien horror holds up, but I never quite do (maybe I should be keeping a list of every film that makes me say that and then actually go through with rewatching them all once things are over). I've seen The Revenant three times and it gets worse every single time. I once heard that Park Chan-wook wanted to adapt the story with Samuel L. Jackson as Hugh Glass and I have never stopped wishing we'd gotten that version instead, such is my disdain towards what we did get (The Cinematography™ be damned).

Oooooooooh ****... The Revenant. What the unholy hell. I've never seen such a slow burner like that. The epic direction during any scenes of plotlessness are still gorgeous, and we get plenty of scenes where DiCaprio manages to play his part perfectly even with a severe lack of dialogue. Genius in some ways, too slow in others, but what also makes the movie work is its realism. I've never been in a situation like the real life Glass, and yet you can feel the realism with what you know about life like that. That was a pretty ****ing good movie.

I just watched The Hunt, which was very good. It’s a frustrating experience because we the audience know exactly what happened or didn’t happen so I kept wanting to tell everyone to knock it off, but you can’t put that toothpaste back in the tube.

51. Split. I'm assuming the broken image was intentional, and that Speling's posts after are somehow hints about the different personalities.

No guess for #52. I like Torgo's The Shape of Water suggestion and my brain won't move past it.

52. Silver Linings Playbook
51. Wild Tales

The Revenant was my #23. I really liked it in 2015 but I mean some movies are like quickly forgotten and The Revenant is among them I think. I felt the effect of it clearly when I watched it. But I never forgot those amazing shots in The Revenant. And I really like movies with less people, with lots of nature and spiritualism as much as possible.

Now, here is my ballot until now:

2)A Separation
6)Room
8)The Favourite
14)Toy Story 3
23)The Revenant

Seen 23/48