The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I have seen 26/46.

-The Battle of Algiers - 10/10 - This is my #6 of all-time, so my #2 on my list... Historically speaking, they started the movie chronologically after the French were doing the bombings. Great movie, with Yaacef Saadi playing the same revolutionary role as he did in real life. One of those movies that get me every time. By the end, I want to burn a police station, or something of more significance. How brave to die for a cause greater than yourself. I love when imperial powers get their just due.

-Le Trou - 9/10
-Knife In The Water - 8.5/10

-A Man Escaped - 8/10 - my 2nd favorite prison movie. I don't remember much about it, though.

-Nights of Cabiria - 8/10
-Sundays & Cybele - 8/10
-Contempt - 8/10
-Red Desert - 7.5/10
-Le Cercle Rouge - 7.5/10
-Rome, Open City - 7.5/10
-Shoplifters - 7/10
-Léon Morin, Priest - 7/10
-Bob Le Flambeur - 7/10
-Rififi - 7/10
-The Virgin Spring -7/10
-Run Lola Run - 7/10
-Le Samourai - 7/10
-The Conformist - 7/10
-Au Revoir les Enfants - 6.5/10
-Last Year At Marienbad - 6/10
-Roma - 6/10
-Army of Shadows - 5/10
-The Mirror - 5/10
-Fitzcarraldo - 5/10

Le Haine - 4/10
(from "Last Movie" thread) Pretty dumb. Punks acting like 5-year olds throughout the entire 97 minutes, which seems to be on a 5-minute loop.

I saw "Z" when I was 18, and remember being a bit bored and gave it a 6/10. I actually tried watching his last movie "Adults in the Room" because I like Varoufakis, but it was so bad I couldn't finish it. Anyway, back to "Z" it seemed to constantly be - "Was it deliberate?" - "Yes" -- "No"... I remember x-rays. I've wanted to re-watch this, but ended up watching this awful movie called, "Panic Room" (after my one-location thread). I go through this every night, but by morning, I want to watch a movie I haven't seen yet, and so I'm definitely looking forward to the future list.

La Haine is one of my favorites. It's hard to think of another movie that makes you experience such a range of emotions. It goes from terrifying to joyful to exciting in a relatively short span. Not to mention, for a movie about racial intolerance and how hate breeds hate, it manages to be very funny.

It's also one of the best looking and ingeniously shot movies I've ever seen. Going to the CineShots subreddit and viewing all of the La Haine shots and GIFs is a reliable cure for boredom. This is probably my favorite:

Let us not overlook its audio-related qualities as well.*What other movie captured so well the sound of da police?

WARNING: spoilers below
whoop whoop

I've seen Red, and probably need to see the whole trilogy at some point and give it a rewatch, but it left me a bit cold at the time. Veronique (or Stephanie, as per Crumb) left me cold at first as well although I did warm up to it eventually, for reasons Janson succinctly outlined with his gif. Folks, I am not made of stone.

If we're strictly talking about Kieslowski muses, then I'm actually partial to Grazyna Szapolowska. But thankfully, my heart is large enough to house many muses, and Jacob will always have a room. Right next to Binoche's.

Let us not overlook its audio-related qualities as well.*What other movie captured so well the sound of da police?

WARNING: spoilers below
whoop whoop
Heh, good call. Also gotta love the Edith Piaf/"F*** the Police" remix.

If we're strictly talking about Kieslowski muses, then I'm actually partial to Grazyna Szapolowska. But thankfully, my heart is large enough to house many muses, and Jacob will always have a room. Right next to Binoche's.
I'm evicting Juliet Binoche. Not a fan, sorry.

I'm evicting Juliet Binoche. Not a fan, sorry.
It's probably cause you never learned how to properly spell her name.

More Juliette for me.

More Juliette for me.
Wonder if she knows Stephanie.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Battle of Algiers (FREE on YouTube) with some DVD Extras.. They all used to be online, so maybe you can do a full google search, clicking on "Video"

Wonder if she knows Stephanie.
Hell, she can bring her.

Red is my favorite film from the Three Colors trilogy. Irene Jacob is great as others have mentioned, Joseph Kern is my favorite character from the entire trilogy, and I enjoyed how the whole trilogy came together in the final act. It was rather mysterious and reminiscent of The Double Life of Veronique, though I prefer that film over Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy by a decent margin. Blue left me cold emotionally (Binoche was great though and it had some effective moments here and there). I couldn't get into White. With that being said, even though I've seen each film in the trilogy twice (save for White), I'm still wondering if I missed an overarching theme which runs throughout it.

La Haine is pretty good, but it wouldn't occur to me to include it in a top 25 or a top 100. As an aside, my favorite films with "minimal plot" or whatever the proper term is are Jeanne Dielman, Gummo, and Killer of Sheep.

Anyways, no votes here.

The trick is not minding

More Juliette for me.
You’ll have to share this one with me.

Juliette Binoche is a talented actress and was the reason why I watched Let the Sunshine In.

I still need to catch up to some of her films, but man….*swoon*

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
haven't seen Battle of Algiers or Z. Nor have I seen any of the Colors trilogy and unsure if I would care to. Not sure why.
I have seen La Heine for Vincent Cassel. LOVE that guy!! Can't remember too much of the film, but I did enjoy it.

Movies Seen: 22 of 48 (45.83%)
3. Shoplifters (2018) #72
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93
5. Rififi (1955) #76
6. Army of Shadows (1969) #90
13. Samurai Rebellion (1967) #79
19. Paprika (2006) #100
25. In This Corner of the World (2016) One Pointer

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've only seen one of the last four movies posted, and that movie was Z. The movie was interesting, but I'm not much of a fan of political movies, so it didn't make my list.

I haven't seen Three Colors: Red, (or any of the movies in the Three Colors trilogy).

I haven't heard of The Battle of Algiers or La Haine.

2 magnificent films. The camerawork in La Haine is off the charts. 3 colours red is an all time favourite. But I had another one from that trilogy in my ballot.

103 points, 6 lists
52. Tokyo Story

Director

Yasujiro Ozu, 1953

Starring

Chishu Ryu, Chieko Higashiyama, Setsuko Hara, Haruko Sugimura

103 points, 7 lists
51. The Celebration

Director

Thomas Vinterberg, 1998

Starring

Ulrich Thomsen, Henning Moritzen, Thomas Bo Larsen, Paprika Steen

Well, Tokyo Story showing up this low is a shocker. My Ozu pick is assuredly out at this point. Tokyo Story is my second favorite Ozu. Ozu is a director whose style I had to grow into, but I did quite nicely. His movies are definitely a warm blanket for me but his themes are very serious and universal. Awesome director.

I thought The Celebration was good, but nowhere near my list. Top 50 is going to be interesting. Going to be more current heavy than I thought…I think.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I just mentioned The Celebration. Wow!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Reply to Topic