Spiral (2007)

→ in
Tools    

Hi, my name is Nothing & this is my first post. I hope Im doing this right. I did a search for this film but couldnt find that one already existed. If Ive made any mistakes, I apologize in advance.

I was very impressed w/this one & would love to know what others thought.

After collaborating on the cult hit HATCHET, actor Joel David Moore and director Adam Green reunite for another creepy tale. This time, they're both behind the camera as directors, but Moore also stars as a man whose attempts to paint a beautiful young woman (Amber Tamblyn, THE GRUDGE 2) aren't as innocent as they seem. SPIRAL also features the talents of Zachary Levi (CHUCK) and Tricia Helfer (BATTLESTAR GALACTICA). [SOURCE: Rotten Tomatoes]

(Sorry that I have not included a poster or a trailer. Im not allowed to do that yet I guess.)

Mason is an odd, troubled man. He works in a cubicle at an insurance company, but his passion is painting & jazz music. He doesnt do landscapes; only portraits of women. Mason's reclusive lifestyle seems mostly voluntary as he lacks social skills & seems to have great difficulty relating to other people. His private life is fraught w/emotional disturbance, which is introduced to the viewer in the beginning scenes of the film. Mason is asthmatic & experiences suffocative fits during moments of stress. There is only one person that he seems to consider a friend, & that is Berkeley, his boss at the insurance company. Mason awakens Berkely in the middle of the night when he calls him in a panic, out of breath, & convinced that he has done something awful. Berekey's sympathetic, if dismissive & patronizing, instructions are for him to take a hit off of his inhaler, then go to bed.

The next day at work, the gregarious Amber crosses his path & a somewhat reluctant friendship develops. Mason is almost infuriatingly reserved & downright unresponsive at first, but he slowly warms up to Amber & you can see a hint of trust & fondness developing. As their relationship advances, a potential for normalcy invades Mason's life. Amber models for Mason & he begins to sketch portraits of her. Still, a sense that not all is well pervades the narrative. Mason has an overactive startle response & continues to suffer from asthmatic fits. In private, he gnashes his teeth & clutches his head in agony. There are powerful indications that Mason may not be as benign as Amber believes.

The theme of contrast is introduced fairly early on in the film & is explored in various manners throughout. Whether it is the contrast of colours, or personalities, or meaningful vs vapid realtionships, the idea can be applied & analysed. The use of colour in the film itself is utilised expressively.

This is an in-depth psychological character study w/some definite Hitchcockian influence. The pace is slow & methodical, w/revelations occuring quite gradually. Some viewers may find this dull or infuriating, but I found it highly riveting & enjoyable. Each scene was integral to the story & all time was utilised wisely. The writing was almost flawless (I had a couple of problems w/Amber) & the performance by Joel Moore was intense, completely believeable, & quite unique, I thought. Im not a technical person, but I found the cinematography to be very good.

I cant talk too much more about this film because there are a few twists towards the end, & I dont want to ruin it for anyone. Suffice it to say this was one of the most unexpectedly brilliant films Ive seen in awhile. I would highly recommend it.

Happy New Year from Philly!

So who kills whom? Isn't that how these things play out? Bodies in the basement and all that?

A system of cells interlinked
I will give it a shot, even though I hated Hostel.

So who kills whom? Isn't that how these things play out? Bodies in the basement and all that?
Surely you dont really want to know? Its not near as fun if you know the punchline beforehand. Honestly, I find that many recent films w/so-called "twist endings" often end up ruining an otherwise alright movie. Not so w/this one. IMO it only enhanced the experience & provided some additional dimension to an already complex journey.

I will give it a shot, even though I hated Hostel.
Sorry, but do you by chance mean Hatchet, the director's earlier work? I just didnt get the Hostel tie-in. I dont think they are at all alike.

Thanks for the reply! I would love to know your thoughts if you ever do end up seeing it!